• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Victorian Schools RU (VSRU) 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Might as well start a 2013 thread, since we've missed the 2012 season.

An U16 VSRU team will tour Ireland, UK, Belgium & France later this year, November 30 - December 23.

Matches to be played in Dubin, Down, Glasgow, Colwyn Bay, Cardiff, Bristol, Hornchurch, Brussels and Paris.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Would that be next years U16 lads or this years?

Is the VSRU team the same team that is/will be at the National U16's or is it just from Rugby playing schools?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
This will be confusing, the Victorian State Team is a separate entity to the Victorian Schools State team even though they both hold the same selection criteria (you much be a rugby player who goes to a school in Victoria, any school). The 'State' team is always stronger than the 'Schools State' team.

The various state teams play in the big state carnivals whereas the school's state team play Tasmania and usually win handsomely but I think they're exploring new options for the schools state teams.

The 'Schools State' team that tours Europe ever few years is a separate entity again but it's run by the same body as the Schools State team that plays Tassie. Usually all of the players that tour to Europe will have played in the State or Schools State team with the limiting factor being the cost.

Does this all make sense?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Doesn't matter whether it makes sense or not. Great to hear that the Vics are taking advantage of the international nature of rugby.

What a great tour! (Does anyone need someone to carry their bags?)

Regardless of whether any of those boys ever earn a cent playing rugby, they will have priceless memories of their tour. This is what rugby is all about.

Well done and congratulations to all the boys who are going and to all those involved in the organisation.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Doesn't matter whether it makes sense or not. Great to hear that the Vics are taking advantage of the international nature of rugby.

What a great tour! (Does anyone need someone to carry their bags?)

Regardless of whether any of those boys ever earn a cent playing rugby, they will have priceless memories of their tour. This is what rugby is all about.

Well done and congratulations to all the boys who are going and to all those involved in the organisation.

Well, at least someone read my rant because it took a while to type.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Anytime I read or hear about young rugby players being given an opportunity such as this, it is music to my ears. I'm just sorry it took me so long to read it.

I may have missed out on a job as a bag carrier!

Seriously, I hope the boys have a great time and not only improve their rugby, but also have the chance to soak up all that rugby has to offer.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
went on this tour three years ago, best thing ever. Some of the schools they play like Glantaf in Wales (jamie Roberts old school) who are absolute freaks at the game. Great to see they are going through Belgium and France instead of wasting their time in Abu Dhabi (on the pitch that is).

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Seeing as they updated the VRU Website with the Rebel's build it'd be nice if they did the same to the VSRU website.

It's a rickety old thing.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Results, thanks to one of the player's mums.

Game 1 A team won 30 -13. B team lost 10-12. Game 2 A team won 20-7. B team won 21-12.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This will be a great experience for the boys and one that should stay with them for life.

Our opposition oval ball codes struggle to provide experiences such as this.

The Vic State Schoolboy Rep teams will continue to develop and compete at National level with experiences like this.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
The boys are going well - VSRU U16A are 2 from 2 and U16B 1 from 2, losing their first game by 2 points.

Scores are on the Rebel Army facebook page.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm not a facebooker. It is somewhat foreign territory to me.

I saw the Vic U16 lads perform well at the U16 Nationals in Riverview this year.
Also saw Vic opens team in July and was impressed with both teams.

how many kids in the touring party were in the National U16's for Victoria?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You'd hope so, these are the majority of the best U16 boys in Victoria and they are playing talented club teams, but still club teams.

It would depend which club teams they are playing. The big clubs in France (Top 14 and the 1st Division of their national league) run academy style programmes similar to our NGS and JGS. A few years ago, I visited the facilities at Stade Francais and La Rochelle (Top 14 some years, Div 1 other years) and the facilities and programmes are light years ahead of what Shute Shield clubs in Sydney can even dream about. Similarly in England, clubs like Leicester Tigers run programmes of the same type with top class facilities.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
It would depend which club teams they are playing. The big clubs in France (Top 14 and the 1st Division of their national league) run academy style programmes similar to our NGS and JGS. A few years ago, I visited the facilities at Stade Francais and La Rochelle (Top 14 some years, Div 1 other years) and the facilities and programmes are light years ahead of what Shute Shield clubs in Sydney can even dream about. Similarly in England, clubs like Leicester Tigers run programmes of the same type with top class facilities.

Well the last place they played was a middle of the line school from Ulster. I think they played their U18s though so that made it more competitive.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Forgot to post this earlier:

@coldfrog1: game 3 in Scotland was cancelled due to extreme weather conditions. Game 4 v Wales A team won 21-17. B team had a draw 24-24

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Another update:

VSRU UK tour update. Game 5 in Cardiff A team won 35-3 B team won 38-0. Game 6 in Bristol A team won 47-0 B team won 39-0.

We are doing alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.