• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

VRU 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Apologies, for posting in the wrong thread, but this seems the most likely place where I'll find the answers that I am looking for. I am researching Schools Rugby in Victoria. The following article provides context: http://schoolstribune.com/victoria-state-team-named-for-aussie-nationals-p612-1.htm

Is it correct that the VSRU comps I & II (14 schools all up) are the only schools rugby competition in the State? Where do the rest of the players in the VIC Schools squad come from?

Very few players from the VSRU made the Victoria Schools XV at the National Schools Championship (played last week) and even fewer in 2011.

Thanks!

What a load of shit. Did they ask anybody involved in Victorian rugby any questions?

Many of these schools listed as non-rugby schools compete is 10-a-side tournament that the VRU run. Is this an ideal platform for Vic Rugby? I don't think so but my opinion aside, this exists and if the article writer researched that they'd of found out.

So, Victorian Rugby select players who got down to a club to train rather than a school and somehow they are disowning the rugby public? Please, these guys are as dedicated as any.

Club rugby is a better standard here so more players are selected, it's rare that a non-scholarship schools player is picked for rep teams. Sure, it's an issue the schools need to address but it's not a failure of the Vic Rugby system as a whole. The emphasis is Vic Rugby is simply on club rather than school.

Back to my point, a poorly researched article that condemns Vic Rugby as doing things at the "expense of rugby loyalists" is a load of crap.

Whoever wrote this needs to pull their head-in, to play Schools Rep rugby you have to attend a school and not play for one.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
BIg gap there. Their 2nds are almost 1st grade quality...makes it tough on a battler like Boroondara.

Almost the whole seconds would get a 1st grade run at most clubs, let alone their first grade fresh benchers.

Obviously it's not a case of it being unfair (just good recruitment) but if you're coming into Vic rugby cold turkey why would you rather play for a good seconds than another clubs firsts?

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Almost the whole seconds would get a 1st grade run at most clubs, let alone their first grade fresh benchers.

Obviously it's not a case of it being unfair (just good recruitment) but if you're coming into Vic rugby cold turkey why would you rather play for a good seconds than another clubs firsts?

Yep - basically 2 1st grade sides at the club, would also be pretty annoying to be a player and have the constant rotations that they do....still if you were a coach it is a good problem to have when you're stable is full and you don't have to scratch around for key players (like most clubs do with props).

And I agree, you're a new, decent player to Melbourne, keen to play 1sts - why would you go there and play 2nds as opposed to any of the other 9 clubs and play 1st grade?

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Anyway, few interesting games this weekend. Quins get their chance to match it against Melbourne, Moorabbin v House and I see the Box Hill coach is back playing again, would love to be hit by Palavi, then followed up by Moses!

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Big big week in the Dewar this week. Will hopefully be a tonne of people at Melbourne v Harlequin, which is a 1 v 2 match in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
  • Boroondara 24 v 29 Southern Districts
  • Melbourne 54 v 25 Harlequin
  • Footscray v Endeavour Hills - still waiting on the score to this one.
  • Power House 19 v 53 Moorabbin
  • Box Hill 30 v 22 Melbourne University

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
I saw Quins the week before and they looked good, if they played their own game it was going to be close and talking with their coaches I thought their best option was to kick it behind Melbourne and keep turning them around all day. Especially if they could just do some chip kicks and not long punts.

No one has been able to show they have the fitness to keep with Melbourne when they try and run it from everywhere.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Rebels in action this weekend:
Ged Robinson will be playing for Quins
Lloyd Johansson will be playing for Box Hill
Cooper Vuna will play for Endeavour Hills

ROUND 15 28 July
Harlequin v Box Hill
Boroondara v Pwr House
Sth Districts v Footscray
Melbourne v Melb Uni
Moorabbin v End Hills

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Harlequin 26 V Box Hill 11
Boroondara 5 V Power House 29
Southern Districts 12 V Footscray 17
Melbourne 33 V Melb Uni 20
Moorabbin 29 V Endeavour Hills 22

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Should be a couple of good games this wknd:
House v Souths @ Souths
Quins v Moorabbin @ Quins

See Footscray have a shot at finishing 2nd all things going well for them, big effort if they do seeing as though they only came back up 2 seasons ago.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
See Footscray have a shot at finishing 2nd all things going well for them, big effort if they do seeing as though they only came back up 2 seasons ago.

What happened at Footscray that made them turn from rubbish to a club that does a whole lot with limited resources in just a couple of years?

Anybody an insider? I'd love to hear and I'm sure ambitious clubs like Wydnam, Eltham, and Geelong as well as battlers like Boroondara and Uni would love to hear too.

Status
Not open for further replies.