• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

VRU 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
So just read a message that Boroondara plan to play in Division 2 next season. Why they just didn't do that in the first place rather than attempt a merge with BH that failed.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Is there the equivalent of a subbies comp in Melbourne? i.e serious but more social one and two team senior clubs? Is this Division 2 thing new in the Melbourne rugby landscape? Are there any new clubs being formed with the advent of the Rebels?

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Is there the equivalent of a subbies comp in Melbourne? i.e serious but more social one and two team senior clubs? Is this Division 2 thing new in the Melbourne rugby landscape? Are there any new clubs being formed with the advent of the Rebels?

Vic Rugby is split in 2 Division's with a Vic country comp.

All Division 1 sides have at least 3 sides with a few having 4 sides, so the 4ths sides are pretty social and have a few beers. Most don't train but a couple of 4ths teams train.

Division 2 is smaller clubs that only field 2 teams, while it's spread a bit further around Melbourne, Geelong is the furthest you will have to travel.

No new clubs have been formed with a advent for the Rebels, a few Rebels have played there club rugby in Melbourne with a push for all Rebels to be playing rugby in vic if not selected instead of travelling to Sydney and Brisbane.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I'm glad to see Kiwi Hawthorn return back to it's former self. They were one club that always promoted a strong 'club' culture and would always participate in the social traditions of a Rugby Club (read: drink lots of Beer) after a match, no matter where they were home and away. I'm also glad that we can preserve club identities, even in our small competition. I don't really like the idea of mergers or grouping certain clubs in for a super competition (was it the pillar cup a few years ago).

From what I see it doesn't seem like Box Hill were dramatically affected by the change anyway. Well, it didn't help them on the 1st grade score sheet anyway...*sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.