• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Vuna gets off

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Oops - unfortunate thread title.

Accidentally guilty.

After hearing evidence and submissions, Judicial Officer Bruce Squire QC (Quade Cooper) concluded there were significant and compelling mitigating factors, including a lack of intent on Vuna’s behalf, which did not warrant a suspension being imposed for the offence.

Not surprising, though lack of intent is hardly rare in dangerous tackles, and wasn't he suspended early this year for the same? Wish Bruce Squire had officiated for Ioane's hearing.

D

daz

Yep. Common sense prevails. Lack of intent - Yellow warranted and no further action required.

Good call.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
And I did like the way he went to the welsh player he 'hit' on the way off. I think that showed class ad was in the spirit of the game.

The tackle looked bad, but I think it was more due to his incompetence and energetic enthusiasm to be seen to be doing something.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Watching live I could definitely see the case for a red against Vuna as it was a very dangerous thing. However I think it was more through stupidity on his part as opposed to intent to take Halfpenny out, his stupidity was compounded by the act of patting Halfpenny on his head, which he had just landed on, as he trotted off the field to the sin bin.

I think on the evidence no ban is the right decision although for the integrity of test rugby and the Wallaby jumper a long ban was justified. But you can't ban someone simply for not being up to test rugby standards.

Maybe Deans will decide to drop him or to put it more accurately he probably wont select him due to the availability of Beale for the final test. Subtle difference between the two, but the first might go some way to reassure a big proportion of skeptical Aus fans that it is actually possible for Deans to learn from his mistakes, while the other leaves the possibility of the mistake being repeated should a similar injury crisis befall the men in gold.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
With Beale back Vuna won't be in the 22 simply because he didn't do enough to warrant it. He did have some good touches tho and will bear close watching. Definitely not a dirty player and has a lot of potential.

Ath.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Vuna had one or two runs, and always when there were 4 people right behind him waiting to cover the next mistake.

He was worse than useless near the rucks, getting in the way, and was out of position defensively all night.

Couldn't even kick the ball out.

He patted someone on the head who could have had a spinal injury for all we know.

I'm amazed he got off. The "I have no idea what I'm doing" defence must work, but anyone else would have been suspended - there was more intent in that than Digby's tackle earlier in the year.

D

daz

, his stupidity was compounded by the act of patting Halfpenny on his head, which he had just landed on, as he trotted off the field to the sin bin..

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure Vuna was saying "oopps, my bad, sorry mate" as he patted the Welsh bloke on the way to the bin. I don't think he was rubbing it in or taking the piss at all.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure Vuna was saying "oopps, my bad, sorry mate" as he patted the Welsh bloke on the way to the bin. I don't think he was rubbing it in or taking the piss at all.
Yes, but 1/2 p could have had an injury, made worse by a pat on the head.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)

That's how I saw it too. He looked sheepish rather than cocky.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Patting him on the arm would have been more appropriate.

If halfpenny was seriously injured I wonder if Vuna would have still got off?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The whole rugby 'judiciary' system is now, with this latest ruling re Vuna, even more of a joke than we all thought it was as we witnessed the wild inconsistencies of application in the ongoing 2012 S15 series.

Clearly, in Digby's and other 2012 cases of 'dangerous tackle', 'intent' was/is not even considered, and why should it be if the authorities want absolute strictness around what could be life or life-mobility threatening injuries in rugby?

And how is 'intent' properly and objectively assessed in these types of split-second, under pressure of play, events? Can we clearly see 'intent' in Digby's transgression, yet clearly see none in Vuna's?

Then how can we have some 'judicial officers' stating and finding that 'intent' is highly material to their findings - a la Vuna - and others who clearly exclude this parameter altogether?

Further, Digby's judicial officer rolled in added time off for 'deterrence', but others mention such an additional punishment parameter not at all.

Digby's 'priors' count for a lot against him although 4+ years ago; Vuna's very recent 'priors' count for nothing as he did not display 'intent'.

If it wasn't so serious in its huge lack of genuine justice and consistency thereof (a key component of any legitimate justice-giving system), it'd be hilarious. But the impacts upon teams and players of this wildly unpredictable 'system' are very serious and can alter both team and potential player career outcomes.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
I think Vuna is pretty lucky really. What he did is every bit as dangerous as a tip tackle. Especially since he has already been suspended once this year. It was accidental, but reckless.

I think an argument could be made that the most serious of these challenges in the air should be treated just the same as the IRB memorandum on tip tackles - start with an assumption of red card and move down.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't think intent should play a big part in it at all. Having been taken out in the air myself, and ending up in hosptial with a cracked bone in my neck, I can't sympathise with any player that causes another to land on thier head, intentional or not.

I know that when you get 30 blokes chasing after a ball in a confined space, "shit" is most certainly going to happen, but when it does, if you caused it, you should wear the consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.