• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I hope to see Genia and Cooper are on the bench. They showed glimpses of some good form. Genia probably a step off the pace but was showing some great composure and decision making. Cooper a bit rusty. I feel both are close to firing though and that is an exciting thing for the wallabies.

Any news on Higgers Injury?

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
From the look of things Wales have decided to move on or at least started doing so. They have excluded some of their most experienced players for the November internationals.

Generally Wales are slow starters to a season but it is something they have aimed to rectify so we can't be too sure on which side will pitch up.

Since Gatland has been in charge they have always tried to get southern hemisphere scalps.

I think the first game SA had against Wales this year compared to the second game illustrates the difference between Wales pitching up and not pitching up.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
1. Slipper
2. Hanson
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Carter
6. McMahon
7. Hooper
8. Higginbotham if fit, McCalman if not.
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Speight
12. To'omua
13. Kurindrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

16. Robinson
17. Fainga'a
18. Anyone but Alexander
19. Skelton
20. McCalman
21. Genia
22. Cooper
23. Tomane/Horne

B

Bobby Sands

I think injury has ruined Horwill's test career. He has lost his power game in the tight and without that he is just a bigger, slower blindside flanker.

Unfortunately true.

He used to be so powerful. Now he is just a plod.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I think the front row is a given, as is the back-up purely due to a lack of alternatives. Simmons will start, Skelton didn't show enough so the other two locks will be Carter & Horwill, Horwill to start for mine but I think it's more likely to be Carter. My starting back row would be McMahon, Hooper & McCalman, even with Higgers fit. If he is, he's on the bench, if not it's Hodgson.
I think Cheika will stick with Phipps/Foley as the halves, with Genia/Cooper the bench, certainly the safer option. If that's the case, I would start Lilo at 12, nothing against To'omua, I just think it's a better combination. Start Cooper at 10 (which I'd like to see later on outside Phipps) and then you start To'omua at 12. Kuridrani, Speight & Folau are givens, and while it probably won't happen, I like Horne on the other wing ahead of both AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Tomane. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) then becomes your third player on the bench.
Not a likely team, just my thoughts.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
1. Slipper
2. Hanson or FTS
3. Kepu (Give Hibbard some fresh nightmares)
4. Horwill
5. Simmons
6. McMahon
7. Hooper
8. Big Dog

9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. To'omua
13. TK
14. Speight
15. Izzy

16. Hanson or FTS
17. Robbo
18. Not Alexander, Have to be Faulkner I guess
19. Carter
20. Hodgson
21. Genia
22. Cooper
23. Horne

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Most posters on other threads have a hard time deciding between To'omua and Lealiifano at 12. So why would one not start and the other be on the bench? Christian is just as good at 10 as 12 and can cover 15, so I'd have him on the bench and To'omua starting. Will not yet in form to get a start or on the bench, but getting close imo. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the other wing and the bench would then be White, Cooper and Lealiifano.

If Higgers is out, I'd really like to see McMahon start at 6 with Hooper and McCalman making up the rest of the backrow. McMahon can play 6 or 7, so I'd have Jones on the bench for extra cover at 8 and to add some mongrel at the end.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
1. Slipper
2. Faininga
3. Kepu
4. Carter
5. Simmons
6. McMahon
7. Hooper
8. McCalman

9. Phipps
10. Foley
12. To'omua
13. Kurindrani
14. Horne
15. Folau

16. Hanson
17. Robinson
18. Faulkner
19. Horwill
20. Higgenbottom (if fit) otherwise Jones /Hodgkinson
21. White (begrundingly but no way would have Genia in the mix)
22. Cooper
23. Tomane

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
1. Slipper
2. Hanson
3. Kepu
4. Carter
5. Simmons
6. McMahon
7. Hooper
8. McCalman

9. Phipps
10. Foley
12. Lilo
13. Kurindrani
14. Speight (bloody lucky to be there, better pull his finger out)
15. Folau

16. FingerS
17. Robinson
18. Faulkner
19. Skelton
20. Jones
21. White (almost tempted to promote To'omua to the bench)
22. Cooper
23. Horne

There is an element of Bradburyism about this team.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's no way I'd have Hanson over Fainga'a............

In fact, I'd probably have Mann-Rea on the bench over Hanson if we're going on recent form.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think it would be a mistake to drop Genia from the 23 entirely. I wouldn't start him but I'd have him on the bench for sure.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Kepu
4. Carter
5. Simmons
6. Jones (Higgers if fit)
7. Hooper
8. McCalman
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. To'omua
13. Kurindrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

16. Hanson
17. Robinson
18. Faulkner
19. Skelton
20. McMahon
21. Genia
22. Lilo/Cooper (not sure)
23. Speight

Would like to see McMahon in the starting side but i think we're at risk of getting pushed around. With No Fardy, Palu, Higgers TPN we need a bit of bulk at 6. McMahon is well suited to act as back up 6/7. I thought Skelton was used well off the bench this weekend (Cheika seems to know how to get the most out of him) I'd have him on the bench to add some physicality if needed.

Going forward we need to blood a new THP urgently. Robinson still seems serviceable at LHP and we also have Sio to come back into the team next year. but at TH, fuck me Alexander is a liability. I agree with others who say that PAE looks like a much better option.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
From what I can gather here most positions are agreed upon but there are some differences as to who the best locks are when looking at #4 particularly and at the benches.

At most, give Alexander some time off. He's an experienced tighthead. They don't grow on trees... anywhere.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
From what I can gather here most positions are agreed upon but there are some differences as to who the best locks are when looking at #4 particularly and at the benches.

At most, give Alexander some time off. He's an experienced tighthead. They don't grow on trees. anywhere.

I don't mind the jones options as starting (assuming higgers unfit) with mcmahon on bench - could do other way but see merits starting this way and fan of jones on recent form....

Spreight and alexander not out of the equation for me but not staring 23 material and need to play in other tour games to find their form....but current form does not justify being in 23....the same goes for genia but not a big white fan so not a lot loss if started genia over white...but that for me means we need more depth at halfback.....if that is best can offer.....

Someone mentioned lilo on bench over cooper...again line ball call and would not be upset if that was the case.....cooper again in the mix so not writing him off but still not provided compelling case for game 23 but not to say he won't make the case soon as talented player finding his feet after long injury layoff....

Hooking options just show terrible injury crisis as none of hookers are long term starting wallabies...as we have 3 quality world class hookers who were our walk in squad hookers not available...

P

Paradox

If Higgers is fit, he has to start IMO. McMahon shouldn't be thrown to the wolves yet and our lineout needs to be strong. This was a Baa Baas game which suited McMahon. I think he's exceptional but test rugby is different again and he needs to be introduced off the bench at this stage. However, if Higgers is out, I'm not sure we have many other options. Jones hasn't had much rugby.

something

Jim Clark (26)
as much as i hate to say it.... i think our bench works best if QC (Quade Cooper) is dropped altogether for Lilo (as he covers 15 as well)

i jsut cant think of another option without dropping either Lilo, To'omua, or Horne - all of whom have performed really well as of late

Status
Not open for further replies.