• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales vs Australia, 5 November 2016, (1:30am 6 November AEDT) @ Millenium Stadium

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Regardless of Kerevi's fitness I think this is the game to move Folau to 13. If Kerevi is fit play him at 12 and bench Hodge, if he's not then leave Hodge at 12 for another crack.

I'd make no other unforced changes at this stage, although it's a hard call not to start Poey somewhere, but his impending sabbatical may be his failing. Can't drop Hooper and Timani looks set to be our future at 8 so it's important to use a game like this for his development. Possibly rest Mumm and give Fardy a crack to see if he's back in form.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Time to move on from last night and focus on the next game

EDIT: EVERYONE PLEASE READ: the match starts @ 1:30am AEDT one the 6th of November - not the 5th. So it's early Sunday morning - made an error in the title

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
I've been pleasantly surprised at how good Timani has been so early in his international career. Thought he was excellent last night doing the tough runs in tight. I hope they stick with him at 8 for this Wales match. Really keen to see him develop more during the Spring Tour.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I've been pleasantly surprised at how good Timani has been so early in his international career. Thought he was excellent last night doing the tough runs in tight. I hope they stick with him at 8 for this Wales match. Really keen to see him develop more during the Spring Tour.

One thing I'd fault him on - he took a pick n go early when there were no other forwards in cooee.

Just needs to tighten up his attacking ruck work - though a lot of them need that.

We cut a couple of stupid offloads, find a winger for Speight, and that team will pound anyone.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Is Kurtley Beale any chance of having a run? I'd like to see this backline assuming no Beale.
Genia, Foley, Sefa, Kerevi, Folau, Speight, DHP
Timani has done enough to hold onto number 8. 2 and 6 are still a problem I hope TPN is fit and maybe give Dempsey or Holloway a run.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
One thing I'd fault him on - he took a pick n go early when there were no other forwards in cooee.

Just needs to tighten up his attacking ruck work - though a lot of them need that.

We cut a couple of stupid offloads, find a winger for Speight, and that team will pound anyone.

Very true. He's got the right idea though - quick picks early and motor through them. I haven't seen us be good at that in a looooong time. Plenty to work on but shit he's promising.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Is Kurtley Beale any chance of having a run? I'd like to see this backline assuming no Beale.
Genia, Foley, Sefa, Kerevi, Folau, Speight, DHP
Timani has done enough to hold onto number 8. 2 and 6 are still a problem I hope TPN is fit and maybe give Dempsey or Holloway a run.

Genia's not available for this test or the last one. With Sefa AND Speight on the wings we only have one kicker in the back 3, so Hodge would need to be on one wing I think.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I was a bit disappointed in Sefa's introduction to the big time - he really didn't make the impact I was hoping to see from him. Nor did he really show us his reputed pace at any stage. Still, it was his first go, and probably should be given some more opportunity. Henry was also disappointing at times. His attempted intercept was poor decision making and poor execution. And I think it's right to say that he missed most number of tackles also. He is not the player he was a few years ago.

So, on the form shown so far, I'd like to see either DHP and Folau swap, or Luke Morahan brought into the side on the wing. I would retain Sefa for the time being.

The backrow is starting to sort itself out. I think Timani should be retained at 8 and probably be given a full game rather than being replaced early-ish in the second half. Fardy needs to replace Mumm, and Arnold be given the job of disrupting opposition mauls. He is very good at it for the Brumbies, and has the added advantage of very long arms to reach the ball carrier. Hooper and Pocock offer different aspects of 7 play, and while I would normally favour Poey in a direct competition, I think because he won't be around in 2017, Hooper should retain the starting spot this tour. Then, I would go with McMahon on the bench for his go forward work with the ball and his quite adequate lineout skills.

Finally, I will bash my head against the proverbial brick wall and again say that Cooper should replace Foley at 10. Other than direct running, Cooper offers more than Foley in all other aspects of 10 play. If they can't be separated, then maybe a compromise in the form of Jono Lance could be brought in. Lance has at least as many skills as Foley and is consistently a better goal kicker.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Genia's not available for this test or the last one. With Sefa AND Speight on the wings we only have one kicker in the back 3, so Hodge would need to be on one wing I think.

I did not see Hodge much in Super rugby but he has been a little disappointing at test level so far. His defense is excellent for the most part but that was a very poor read that led to the first try on the weekend. He also has not really shown anything in attack except for the ability to be part of a movement without actually beating any players.
He is solid on the wing if we need another kicking option but there are others over there already who will fulfill that role as well as be able to make/finish tries.
Of course his ability to pot long range goals and kick for touch is a big bonus.
If Kurtley is fit then he will be a great option at 12. However, it is very unlikely that he is anywhere near "test" fit having been away from Cheika and the squad for so long.

G

galumay

Is Beale available? If so then does Chieka drop QC (Quade Cooper) and play Beale off the bench to start with, or bring him straight back in at 12? If he does come back in the starting side, would Hodge go to the bench?

If no Genia and no Beale I cant see much change from this week, Foley did enough to keep his starting spot at 10 and Hodge likely to be given another chance at 12.

Against Wales anyway most of the current run on side will look a lot better than against a rampant AB's playing at their best on Eden Park so not much cause for selection roulette!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Beale will not be available. He is still yet to play a game of rugby since his injury.

Wasps were hoping for a return sometime during November.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Dean Mumm's been suspended for one game so will miss this match which will no doubt please many on here.

He pleaded guilty so the 2 week sanction was reduced to one week.

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2016/10/23/01/27/dean-mumm-citing

The citing Commissioner and judiciary has actually done a huge favour for the forum as well, because we won't have to hear all the same old arguments of why he shouldn't be selected and then the bleating after the team is named questioning why he's there.

A bit of clear air for GAGR :)

For the record I don't think Mum is as bad as some make out. Also there aren't exactly other options out there demanding selection based on superior form IMO.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The citing Commissioner and judiciary has actually done a huge favour for the forum as well, because we won't have to hear all the same old arguments of why he shouldn't be selected and then the bleating after the team is named questioning why he's there.

A bit of clear air for GAGR :)

For the record I don't think Mum is as bad as some make out. Also there aren't exactly other options out there demanding selection based on superior form IMO.

Pfft, you and your rationality.