• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think a lot of the undesirable caps (Nabuli aside) stem from the natural attrition rate of test rugby. The season is stupid long.

If you combine Super and Test rugby some players are looking at potentially playing 30+ games of high level rugby which is fucking stupid. This isn't soccer, peoples bodies just can't hold up.

People who make it to 200+ games for club and country, like Moore, are truly exceptional. Sean McMahon's decision to leave was guided by the idea that he simply could not expect his body to hold up and so he had to cash in now.

So when we hit the tail end of the test season and 10 of our starting 15 are crocked (hyperbole) it's no wonder we have a few blokes capped who wouldn't be if everyone else was fit.

It's not a selection problem its a structural problem (too many games), one that's plaguing the northern hemisphere as well.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Ok, but guys like Nabuli should never have been capped, his form didn’t warrant it at the time and certainly doesn’t now

I can understand what Cheika was searching for, he likes someone who can be a rampaging game changer in the last 20 off the bench. Nabuli isn't that unit

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
So your position is to recall an experienced player who you have moved on from because you don't think they are up to it any more just to avoid debuting a different player?

That isn't a better option at all in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We are talking about a Wallaby jumper, someone playing for their country.

Selection should ALWAYS be the best 23 players fit and available. If that happens to be a recalled player because he is considered the best player available that is what it should be.

If a young gun is considered better then he should be chosen. If its a 50/50 call you would have to consider the balance of the side.

But the primary selection criteria should be BEST available.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We are talking about a Wallaby jumper, someone playing for their country.

Selection should ALWAYS be the best 23 players fit and available. If that happens to be a recalled player because he is considered the best player available that is what it should be.

If a young gun is considered better then he should be chosen. If its a 50/50 call you would have to consider the balance of the side.

But the primary selection criteria should be BEST available.

I generally agree, but the post I was replying to seemed to suggest that Cheika should have picked a capped Wallaby he had moved on from previously to avoid giving a cap to a younger player who might not get selected again (because they were being selected due to there being a lot of injuries). I don't agree with that mentality.

Clearly getting a Wallaby cap is a big deal but withholding that from players just because circumstances might dictate that they don't get selected again (unless a similar injury crisis happens) seems self-defeating.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I don't really have an issue with taking a younger uncapped guy on tour over the older guy where you know what you're getting.

If there's a bunch of injuries and then Enever gets a cap, then so be it. Thought he played pretty well in gold.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Enever was in form and taken on tour where he was an outside, Chance of games injuries happened Enever got a chance and I thought played well. At least his effort seemed great specially when he attempted too chase down the winger.. Burning Simmons with his after burners

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We've been discussing it on twitter, but in a shit bit of luck for RA and the Wallabies, Australia's first Russia World Cup 2018 match against France kicks off at 8pm, the exact same time as the second test against Ireland in Melbourne.

Ratings will be diabolical locally.

The broadcasting rights have presumably been sold on the basis of a 8am/9am kickoff in Ireland rather than 4am so it is most likely impossible to change at this point.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
fuck sake how hard is it to schedule this shit. Now i'm going to have to buy a second TV to watch both.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I honestly think this will be changed, its way to damaging to the Wallabies brand. As for Irish audience, the overseas int look like they are owned by Sky Sports, who (unless i am misinformed) are owned by uncle Rupert, the same people who own Fox Sports. Ten wont want it on at 8, Fox wont want it on at 8, i can't see Sky Sports caring to much. Bring the match forward 2 hours and it's not at an unreasonable time for both audiences.

T

TOCC

In an increasingly crowded sports calendar, there is rarely a good time to host a game.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
We've been discussing it on twitter, but in a shit bit of luck for RA and the Wallabies, Australia's first Russia World Cup 2018 match against France kicks off at 8pm, the exact same time as the second test against Ireland in Melbourne.

Ratings will be diabolical locally.

The broadcasting rights have presumably been sold on the basis of a 8am/9am kickoff in Ireland rather than 4am so it is most likely impossible to change at this point.
There’s a World Cup on?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cheika has apparently met with TPN in the UK and he is keen to come back to Australia for the June series against Ireland.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Cheika has apparently met with TPN in the UK and he is keen to come back to Australia for the June series against Ireland.

Think that’s a wasted opportunity to give Ulese and whoever else some valuable game time at test level. We know what TPN can do and his body will benefit more long term from not travelling half way around the world to play in 3 test matches. Our depth is important come World Cup time, why not continue to build it

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's also a home series against the second best side in the world and follows two years on from a 3-0 defeat in a June series to England.

It's a bloody important series for the Wallabies.

It's also the first time in forever (possibly forever) we've hosted Ireland for a three test series. We had two test series against them in 1994 and 1999.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
and Cheika is under the pump big time.

He needs to play his best available this series and win to put off the doubters (or prevent new ones)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Frankly, he deserves to be. I had high hopes for him, but he has just not performed, and some of the temperamental outbursts were not worthy of a teenager, let alone a grown man who has the job of steering a national sporting team around.

Agree. What annoys me most is that he seems to need to learn by making mistakes - needs a bloody nose.

But he is learning, and it could take us somewhere. Let's keep the pressure on the bloke, understand that it is going to be a bit painful, but wish him the best.