• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Think that’s a wasted opportunity to give Ulese and whoever else some valuable game time at test level. We know what TPN can do and his body will benefit more long term from not travelling half way around the world to play in 3 test matches. Our depth is important come World Cup time, why not continue to build it
Well there's a lot worse thing in terms of gaining experience than having young guys like Uelese or Paenga-Amosa starting on the bench behind Taf. Someone like Paenga-Amosa was only playing club footy for Southern Districts last year and having an experienced hand starting ahead of you and giving guidance may ease the transition from club player to playing against the second best side in the world.

T

TOCC

Fantastic news if TPN comes back, hooker is the position alongside fly-half with the least depth at the moment.. Sure Uelese and BPA are displaying some good form at Super Rugby, but neither are highly experienced at Super Rugby level yet and Test rugby is another level again. It would be good to have TPN in the squad, if to just come off the bench in case things fall apart.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
. Not when it comes to lineouts, unfortunately.

Always his achilles heel.

And it’s not hard to work around a throw that can’t hit fingertips at the back. Just jump where your opposition isn’t set up.

I’m amazed More teams don’t implement 3 or 4 man lineouts, it’s just going out to a crash ball in most cases with the way teams play anyway!

T

TOCC

And it’s not hard to work around a throw that can’t hit fingertips at the back. Just jump where your opposition isn’t set up.

I’m amazed More teams don’t implement 3 or 4 man lineouts, it’s just going out to a crash ball in most cases with the way teams play anyway!

Depends entirely on game plan, throwing to the back and off the top of an 7 man line-out is the preferred option for quick ball to an attacking backline, it doesn't give the forwards time to defensively clog up that 10-12 channel. For any 5/8 this is his preferred attacking platform, it gives less time for the defensive line to move up and there are less forwards in the opposition defensive channels.

Shorter line-outs mean more defensive options in the backline for the defending team, which may suit the game plan or may not. It can work if thats what the game plan dictates, poor weather conditions may dictate playing it a bit tighter. However the lineout is still statistically the platform from which the most tries are scored, so thats a consideration if you want to take a safer option. Another issue is 3 man line-outs don't offer any redundancy if the balls is overthrown or knocked down, and the defensive pod typically knows where the ball is going, its just a matter of timing to compete.

Generally any ball to the front you want to bring down as its stops fliers coming through and targeting the half or flyhalf, at the back you want it off the top to give the fly-half more time to work with against the defensive opposition. If you've got a big forward pack that like running it tight, you would send it to two and let the second pod get set for the next phase.

Variety in the line-out is key though, its important to mix it up between short and long line outs to keep the defensive line-out guessing. Even some of those 'special line outs' that the AB's pull off occasionally, they serves two purposes, an attacking threat that week but also forces next weeks opposition to dedicate training time to try and counter it.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
. Not when it comes to lineouts, unfortunately.

Always his achilles heel.

Unfortunately for TPN, people tend to hang on to things that used to happen years ago & not his current form. Pretty sure his throws had the same success rate as Moore last year & the year before...actually from about 2014 on wards he’s been relatively consistent. But sure, revert to comment on his form from years ago, continue.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Unfortunately for TPN, people tend to hang on to things that used to happen years ago & not his current form. Pretty sure his throws had the same success rate as Moore last year & the year before.actually from about 2014 on wards he’s been relatively consistent. But sure, revert to comment on his form from years ago, continue.

Glad someone said it. Certainly last year he was excellent.

T

TOCC

Even then, Wallabies place themselves under line out pressure from the very start through their lock and back row selections..

Reactions: TSR

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Even then, Wallabies place themselves under line out pressure from the very start through the selection table

I thought our whole line out was better last year. The worst I can recall was when Coleman made his debut in Wellington (in 2016 I think?) and we may have won one or two of our own throws. Certainly 2017 wasn an improvement on 2016.

T

TOCC

I thought our whole line out was better last year. The worst I can recall was when Coleman made his debut in Wellington (in 2016 I think?) and we may have won one or two of our own throws. Certainly 2017 wasn an improvement on 2016.

Yep, McMahon in 2017 offered more at the line out then Pocock in 2015-2016, and Coleman and Arnold really improved their line out work in 2017. I'm wary of the return of Pooper in 2018, some have a short memory but it presented weaker line out options for the hooker.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I am willing to have a crack at my ‘From XV’. I am not suggesting this will be the test team, but I have only considered people eligible for the Wallabies, so Naisarani is an unfortunate omission.

1. Slipper
2. Rangi
3. Tupou
4. Douglas
5. Rodda
6. Timani
7. Hooper
8. Timu
9. Genia
10. Debreczni
11. Daugunu (actually not sure on his eligibility)
12. Beale
13. CFS (Kerevi is peerless in attack, but his defence let him down last night)
14. Folau
15. Maddocks

No Brumbies players, which I find ironic because I still personally feel they may have the best roster. Powell probably most unlucky, but age is is a level above. I considered McCaffrey as well as I think his work rate & effectiveness has been pretty good. Quite possibly would be a better balance for Timu as well but I went with Timani.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I am willing to have a crack at my ‘From XV’. I am not suggesting this will be the test team, but I have only considered people eligible for the Wallabies, so Naisarani is an unfortunate omission.

1. Slipper
2. Rangi
3. Tupou
4. Douglas
5. Rodda
6. Timani
7. Hooper
8. Timu
9. Genia
10. Debreczni
12. Beale
14. Folau
15. Maddocks

notsurprisedkirk.jpg

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

1. Slipper
2. Rangi
3. Tupou
4. Douglas
5. Rodda
6. Timani
7. Hooper
8. Timu
9. Genia
10. Debreczni
12. Beale
14. Folau
15. Maddocks

No Brumbies players, which I find ironic because I still personally feel they may have the best roster. Powell probably most unlucky, but age is is a level above. I considered McCaffrey as well as I think his work rate & effectiveness has been pretty good. Quite possibly would be a better balance for Timu as well but I went with Timani.

Ireland by 150. I know you're only basing it in form and not suggesting this is the team that should be picked, so I'm just being ridiculously funny. Experience is as important as form though, if not more important.

PS Debrezceni has been shit, I think you're just trying to find a reason not to select Foley.

T

TOCC

Foley has had 40min of good rugby in 2018, on form Lance would be selected ahead of him.... However form isn't thinly thing which counts at the test table

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yes, experience is - I get that. And the test team will reflect that. There is probably not more than 5 of those guys that will be in the actual test team.

I am purely trying to stimulate some positive discussion around who people think are in form.

With regards to Kerevi - despite his defensive defecencies I would have still had him in the form team until last night. I don’t see anyone else in Australian rugby who is close to him at shredding tackles - including Folau. But, again, this isn’t my test team.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
PS Debrezceni has been shit, I think you're just trying to find a reason not to select Foley.

Look - it’s my opinion. If you don’t agree that is fine. If I’m doing anyone a disservice here it is Lance.

One of the things that was evident to me when I picked this is that we are still struggling for depth at 10. Foley has had 40 good minutes, that’s it. I am happy with my pick.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Foley will probably start the first test. I could live with either Debrezceni or Lance off the bench, to take the rains if Foley shits himself in the first test.

Tell you what though, not a one of them has a shade on Sexton.