• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
In fairness he was struggling to make the starting side for the Force after he came back from injury and that was after having already been moved on from the Reds and Waratahs. I know you're going to say that the latter was Cheika's mistake too, but they chose to keep Horwitz over him as they thought he had a brighter future. That could be perceived as a poor decision but in reality it's probably a reflection of how the two players measured up against each other at the time.

And he did go on the EOYT in 2016, he didn't get capped but he was there and he got a game, and he broke his arm. Prior to that Cheika was saying it's only a matter of time before he got capped, so he was well in the thought process. Often the decisions which are made aren't as simple as they seem from us viewing from the armchair.

Yes, I'll readily concede that KOB, but before he was injured last year he (at least in my book) outplayed Foley in the derby between the Force and the Tahs. He also had other good games, but he certainly does seem to be a bit injury prone. This year he has so far been more sound in body and is contributing to the good form of the Reds. Right now, I would say he is in better form than Foley, and if that continues, he must come into consideration for the Wallabies.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Yes, I'll readily concede that KOB, but before he was injured last year he (at least in my book) outplayed Foley in the derby between the Force and the Tahs. He also had other good games, but he certainly does seem to be a bit injury prone. This year he has so far been more sound in body and is contributing to the good form of the Reds. Right now, I would say he is in better form than Foley, and if that continues, he must come into consideration for the Wallabies.

Lance has been playing the best football of all the Super Rugby 10's we have. I wouldn't go so far as to say he's making the biggest contribution to the Reds team. In my opinion he stalls the attack and doesn't have the vision to punish defencive mistakes (brilliant example last night against the Stormers) he's running well, he's kicking well, he's passing well (for him), he's defending very well. He's just not got the vision to really exploit the defence, particularly at that test level.

In any event Lance is 28, going overseas next season, and we are only having the discussion as to IF he's better than Foley. All things considered I would pass at giving him a Wallabies spot. If there was an injury to Foley I would call him or Cooper up. But failing that I'd be looking at Mack Massion, Hamish Stewart or one of the other young fly halves going around (unless we see major improvement from whoever is pretending to play 10 at Melbourne I'd ignore them).

We don't gain anything from playing Lance for the Wallabies. Blooding a young player who might have a Wallabies future is going to be far more valuable for us right now.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I agree Lance's form has been better than Foley's, but another factor not to be overlooked is goal-kicking.
In four games this year Foley has only missed one kick (and that hit the upright) and is kicking at 96%.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I agree Lance's form has been better than Foley's, but another factor not to be overlooked is goal-kicking.
In four games this year Foley has only missed one kick (and that hit the upright) and is kicking at 96%.

NEVER SELECT BERNARD FOLEY BASED ON HIS GOAL KICKING! HE WILL LET YOU DOWN. ALWAYS!

But seriously, Foley is either kicking well or playing well, seldom both.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that Simon Raiwalui has been added to the Wallabies coaching staff as forwards coaching staff.

Played Aus Schoolboys, for Sale, Newport, Racing Metro, Saracans and for the Fijian test side (43 caps).

He's apparently coached for Racing Metro, Stade Francais and Biarritz.

Brings the full staff to Michael Cheika (HC), Stephen Larkham (attack), Nathan Grey (defence), Mick Byrne (skills) and Raiwalui (forwards).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So have I been watching different games? Foley hasn't been playing well? Seems to be leading the Tahs around quite well to me.

What else should he be doing in the first few rounds of the season?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^^^
He was shite against the Jaguares. Otherwise been fine (excellent against the Rebels).

He won't shine this year because he'll rarely have a great platform to run off.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
^^^^
He was shite against the Jaguares. Otherwise been fine (excellent against the Rebels).

He won't shine this year because he'll rarely have a great platform to run off.

The Tahs were shit in that game; and what 10 ever shines behind a beaten pack

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Foley will be one of the first picked. No doubt.

Still, I agree with assessments here that he is not the form 10 in Aus franchises. I wouldn't necessarily rant about Jono either, he's doing OK behind a solid pack, defends brilliantly, but I think is not yet really showing excellence in game management. And in the mean time, Deb is starting to look much more settled outside of Genia playing an effective 9.5 and reducing pressure. Which he will also do for whatever 10 wears gold. Likewise with Beale available the gold wearing 10 will have further pressure reduced.

I'd still suggest that Foley, especially at international level, is our best game management option and especially if he can focus on that while supported by Genia and Beale.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
A similar discussion - it is hard to imagine Coleman not starting in the Wallabies - but I would not place him close to the current best three form locks. My three lock picks would probably be (no particular order) Rodda, Arnold, Douglas.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A similar discussion - it is hard to imagine Coleman not starting in the Wallabies - but I would not place him close to the current best three form locks. My three lock picks would probably be (no particular order) Rodda, Arnold, Douglas.

Coleman & Foley will be some of the first selected along with Kepu, Hooper, Pocock, Deale, Genia & Folau.

On Coleman, I thought he was fantastic in the opening game vs the Reds. I expect he is playing injured

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Coleman & Foley will be some of the first selected along with Kepu, Hooper, Pocock, Beale, Genia & Folau.

On Coleman, I thought he was fantastic in the opening game vs the Reds. I expect he is playing injured

I don't know about injury, however:

I can only agree - and at least in Coleman's case he fully deserves to be picked. I just would not include him on my list of top 3 or 4 locks in Aus super rugby right now.

I am not at the moment sure of Pocock being an automatic selection - in the squad certainly, but it wouldn't surprise me if Cheika wants to see some action first before guaranteeing a starting slot.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Surprised this was not been mentioned yet. It's not as if there has been much of interest in sport over the last 24 hours.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...wallabies-forwards-coach-20180325-p4z675.html

Same.......... Maybe I haven't been keeping up to date with things but the appointment is a bit of a surprise.

And for those too lazy to click on the link:

Former Fiji lock Simon Raiwalui named Wallabies forwards coach

Former Fiji international and Manly second-rower Simon Raiwalui is the Wallabies new forwards coach until the end of 2019.

Raiwalui will return to Australia for the first time in more than 20 years to join the Australian set-up in the lead-in to next year's World Cup in Japan. He replaces former Argentina international Mario Ledesma, who left the Wallabies to coach the Jaguares in Super Rugby this season.