• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
An indication that he'd be in Wallabies contention more or less immediately, and the financial consequences of that would potentially be sufficient, particularly given the quality of current winger domestically (no insult intended, but it wouldn't be too hard to get into the greater squad ATM)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Interesting that Cheika said on Rugby360 that Naiyarovoro would be back in time for the Tests, and would be in contention for a wing spot.

If in form (have seen none of him since he left) then he might be a good shot for the squad. Has a dynamic, tackle-busting ability we might need in the absence of Tomane and Speight.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Should play his last game for Glasgow in a win on the 28th of May. If he flew straight to Tokyo, he could play in the Tahs game v the Sunwolves on July 3rdish.

He's been in OK form. One rip snorter, mostly good, a few poor. Recently, with all the Scottish Internationals back, he's been preferred off the bench with Tommy Seymour and Lee Jones preferred on the Wings.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Is Haylett-Petty an international level player? What do you think?

Maybe, he looks like an outer squad\bench option at the moment. He appears to have time, works hard off the ball and is safe under the high ball, the only thing he lacks at the moment is that "X" factor

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Stirzaker appears too slow at the moment, he misses getting to a lot of rucks
Yep, he's missed a lot of rugby. Was out for 6 months or so, still building into match fitness. If it's still an issue in a few weeks time then we'll know if it's an actual problem with his game.

He'd get pretty badly exposed starting at Test level right now, but he'd be fine off the bench.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Maybe, he looks like an outer squad\bench option at the moment. He appears to have time, works hard off the ball and is safe under the high ball, the only thing he lacks at the moment is that "X" factor
And that's what Australia needs, the X factor. In this situation, without Tomane & Speight, Marika Koroibete could earn a starter spot at the Wallabies backline easily.

That's what the League make very well, strong ball carriers who can play at the wing. For some reason the top scorers of Tahs are from the NRL, Israel Folau and Lote Tuqiri.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Reckon frisby will be a bench option behind Phipps

reckon you're right Scrubber, but that doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence. IMO he is still a long way short of test quality, but we're very short of No 9s in Aus right now. If Stirzaker gets back to match fitness, I think he would be a better bet, but still a bit short of being a quality No 9.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Article today makes it very clear that Cheika still intends on picking Hooper at 7.

Anyone expecting the coach to drop his vice captain after a couple of slightly under par Super Rugby games is on another planet.

When his combination with Pocock and Fardy worked so well why would you expect that to change.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

The set of Wallabies that someone, somewhere is demanding to be dropped would probably beat the Wallabies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Cheika also said in a radio interview that he was open to selecting debutants in the test series v England, especially I think where o/s players are not available or not in form.

Could open up a start or bench spot for Frisby/Stirzaker if Genia isn't back playing, maybe Kerevi if Giteau isn't fit/available, Weeks (is he a debutant?) for Kepu and DHP/Hunt if Mitchell isn't in the mix.

Other debutants who might come into contention to cover for injuries/lack of form in Aus-based players could be Arnold/Coleman (for Douglas), and Holloway (for Palu).

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Think Laurie played the 2nd and 3rd tests against France in 2014, before injuring himself upon return to the Rebels and missing a chunk of the NRC.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Phipps is pretty integral to the Cheika game-plan. I think he'll want another Phipps.
The closest thing to Phipps is TJ Perenara, top footballer - very ordinary scrumhalf. Maybe he'll spring that roided-up Saffa scrumhalf the Force have on us, he could fit the bill?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The biggest hole on the team is halfback.

Ckek will probably stick with Australian based players, except Genia. Whilst I haven't been a fan over the past few years (when comparing to 2011) I think he is far the best option. If that was the case I'd have Phipps in the wings (and no Frisby or Stirzakerr ) Otherwise Phipps to start and Frisby to cover.

Am sure Chek will pick Hooper although on performances this year over several games to date I would go with a Fardy (6) Pocock (7) and McCalman (8) combination. I'd have McMahon riding the pine.

Sio has not been playing that well and seems to have lost a bit around the park. Holmsie and Moore are certainties as they have continued with their good form from last year.

Simmons will start for sure and the other spot is wide open. IMO Skelton will miss out on the 23 but we shall see.

To me, the interesting selection will be the 13 and 15 spots. My preferred option is TK at 13 and Izzy at 15.

Beale must be in the 23 if not the starting side.

Hopefully Tomane will be back in plenty of time. He has been outstanding this year and probably the best back in Australia (yep, including Israel) this year.

The "finishers" are going to be just as important (if not more so) than those in the run-on side. Test matches are generally won in the last 15-20 minutes so our bench must bring more than their counterparts.

The only real certainty (until the team is picked) is that Cheika will be coach.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Israel has been very far from the best back in Australia. He's clearly not right yet. It's not just that he's not getting past people like we're used to, but he's not trying to. But it's early days.