• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2018 Spring Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Wam wasn't suggesting that ethnicity be a consideration in the captain decision. Rather that if the next captain (who would presumably be the most qualified) was also of PI background that he would love it. Which I agree with, it'd be great.

No one is advocating sacrificing quality for cultural reasons, but if we can hit two birds with one stone it'd be cool.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I thought Coleman would be a pretty good bet for the PI/Captaincy combo but he struggled a bit managing his own form and the captaincy at the Rebels. That said, I think he's been carrying a few injuries throughout the year and the offseason will do him a hell of a lot of good.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

On merit, of course. But I am pretty sure we have struggled a bit over the years compared to the Enzedders in understanding and motivating players of PI ethnicity.

When a player of PI ethnicity is appointed national captain, that will represent a big step forward. It will be a sign that our national rugby culture fully embraces and understands cultures other than ours, white Anglo-Saxons as we mostly are.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
When a player of PI ethnicity is appointed national captain, that will represent a big step forward. It will be a sign that our national rugby culture fully embraces and understands cultures other than ours, white Anglo-Saxons as we mostly are.

Don't think simply having a PI captain indicates all that. But can't hurt.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
On merit, of course. But I am pretty sure we have struggled a bit over the years compared to the Enzedders in understanding and motivating players of PI ethnicity.

Urgh what a absolute wank, PI have played such a massive part of Australian rugby for years

Also G.Smith wallabies captain 7 times.....or doesn’t he count?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Those Enzedders and their long history of Maori/PI captains?

Status
Not open for further replies.