• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2018 Spring Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
As i recall we also played an experimental 'last chance saloon' team in that match, including Quade starting. Could be wrong.

We did, it was clearly designed to see how different combinations performed versus the week before. Kane Douglas was also given a starting jersey after a significant lay up to get him fit for the RWC.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
As i recall we also played an experimental 'last chance saloon' team in that match, including Quade starting. Could be wrong.

This is true but I don't think it derails my broader argument.

I think you're fixating on the close win against NZ because it's what Australia fans seem to do every time we beat or come close to beating the ABs. I get it, you all grew up with the rivalry and it probably feels bigger than rugby to some of you. In fact, this phenomenon was on full display just a little over a year ago, right here.

We got over the ABs at Lang Park by the hair on our ass and it was almost like people had immediately forgotten that in the previous months we had lost to Scotland in Sydney, damn near threw a game to Italy in Brisbane, home-and-away losses to NZ for the Bledisloe, tied with a rebuilding South Africa in Perth, tied South Africa again (at least it was away from home this time).

We had a damn near 5+ year period where South Africa was in complete collapse and during that period we did little other than manage to get worse without anywhere near the same amount of shit to deal with as South Africa was with a wholly incompetent coaching setup and political interference. These should have been two comfortable wins against the Bokke at this point, but alas.

But hey, we beat the ABs in a dead rubber while they were running an experimental side - in Brisbane.

I recall this delusional elation carried through to wins against Japan and Wales, the titans of World Rugby that they are.

Looked like everyone snapped back to reality during the Ireland series.

Pull the camera lens back a bit and it's been an ugly picture for years and years.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well, yeah. Australian rugby has been going down the gurgler for the better part of a decade (probably more). I don't really get your point though. That we didn't deserve to have a good string of results?I don't think you can take wins against:
  • All Blacks
  • South Africa (who were at home)
  • Argentina
  • Wales
  • Scotland
  • England (home)
among others and say: oh no actually we were shit that year too, just lucky. No, one good year didn't magically mean all our structural issues were gone but we were fucking decent that one year.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
That's the crux of my argument - I think the last 3 wins there have just as much to do with a string of really, really good luck as they do anything else and that's why this one season looks like an anomaly compared to everything else.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well, agree to disagree. It's beside the point really anyway. We are super duper shit now and no alternative interpretation of history will alter that.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It’s rewriting history to write off cheika’s one good year and claim it was all luck. There were elements of luck no doubt but there was also a lot of planning involved and execution was on song that year. I think Cheika’s mantra is tournament play and that’s why it would be silly to sack him now. I suspect some of the madness we have seen recently will make more sense in a years time and the three RC games next year will basically be dress rehearsals for the RWC. I also suspect that Cheika’s KPIs are heavily geared towards the RWC results and hopefully RA will never make that mistake again.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah I don't have time for the 'we were actually shit in 2015' argument.

The two games against England and Wales in the pool stages, in front of hostile crowds, were probably the best two games we've played since 2010.

We were clearly the second best team in the World Cup, and with 15 minutes to go in the Final we were 21-17 behind with momentum on our side.

What happened after that is broadly irrelevant, and shouldn't be used to tar what was at the time a really good achievement.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It’s rewriting history to write off cheika’s one good year and claim it was all luck. There were elements of luck no doubt but there was also a lot of planning involved and execution was on song that year. I think Cheika’s mantra is tournament play and that’s why it would be silly to sack him now. I suspect some of the madness we have seen recently will make more sense in a years time and the three RC games next year will basically be dress rehearsals for the RWC. I also suspect that Cheika’s KPIs are heavily geared towards the RWC results and hopefully RA will never make that mistake again.
I like your optimism. I think you are completely deluded, but i like it.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think Cheika’s mantra is tournament play and that’s why it would be silly to sack him now.

I understand claims such as this. My concern has been how he manages outside those big tournaments. In my eyes lurching from one problem created to another. Learning and improving but in a manner that has been painfull for the fans. And now demonstrates a steady trend to decreasing success.

Before we hang steadfast to the status quo, how would we rate his tournament performance through the more recent Rugby. Championships?

Still, I dont think changing the HC right now would necessarily be greatly advantageous and could be really dumb. One thing is sure though, it is not in anyway a comfortable experience.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
As you would be aware from my previous post, I am just as dismayed as everyone her about our results over the last two years, and Cheika's inability to get the best out of the Wallabies. However, to look back and say anytime we've won has been luck, against a shit team or in some other way discounted is someone who is just determined to find the worst in every situation. Wins over the AB's (dead rubber or not, it doesn't change the attitude of those guys), England at their home WC, SA at home and Wales repeatedly are not something any world rugby side would discount (particularly one ranked only 7th in the world).

It's hard to see how sacking Cheika now, at great contractual expense, when we don't have an obvious alternative, wouldn't be counter-productive. With it clear that he won't be continuing beyond the WC, there will be plenty of opportunity to sound out potential candidates before they commit themselves somewhere else

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
There's an alternate universe where we pinched one of those two games against Ireland, folau passes to Foley and we take the points last week and win Which turns a debacle of a year into merely a typical one in which NZ beats us 0-3.

Luck runs both ways

Still was it Napolean? I'd rather have lucky generals than good ones

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
There's an alternate universe where we pinched one of those two games against Ireland, folau passes to Foley and we take the points last week and win Which turns a debacle of a year into merely a typical one in which NZ beats us 0-3.

Luck runs both ways

Still was it Napolean? I'd rather have lucky generals than good ones
Pfft, both the Argentina and Ireland tests had nothing to do with luck. Foley and Folau both completely sharted it and tanked definite winners in the last minute of each test. end of.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
that's a ripper video. You can understand why overseas teams would be keen to sign him if his manager was shipping this around.

Yes it is. So why is he going? Doesn't seem to me he got a great shake in Super last season.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Money would be a huge factor I’d suggest.

Speculation Reg? Or knowledge? No doubt he is being offered cash. My question more relates to whether he was being appropriately offered opportunity in Brisbane.

Am I wrong or was he struggling to make the starting XV in 2018?

Status
Not open for further replies.