• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2018 Spring Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Some substantial milestones on this tour. Kepu should play his 100th test this weekend and if he plays all the EOYT matches he'll pass Campese, Larkham and Giteau to move up to the 6th most capped Wallaby of all time.

Genia will play his 97th test this weekend so should get his 100th test cap on tour.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I doubt it's going to happen, but with Folau likely shifting to 13 I would love to see Banks get a start on the wing.............

The Drua would've had a couple more tries against the Vikings on the weekend if it wasn't for his speed and cover defence.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Interesting article on The Roar by Nick Bishop looking at our defensive patterns, coming to the same conclusion that the majority here come to about Nathan Grey's plan. Not sure why or how is permitted to stay in the role and surely the same questions would have been asked in the big meeting with MC and the RA board????

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/10/24/its-time-for-the-wallabies-to-stop-the-music-on-defence/

Cheika is on record as saying he wants more alignment between the Wallabies and the Super Rugby teams. Does he really mean he wants Hodge and Koroibete (and Genia for that matter) to play the same defensive systems at the Rebels as he and Grey have them playing for the Wallabies? If that is alignment, then I'd have no issue with Wessels or any of the Super Rugby coaches telling him to FOff.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Interesting article on The Roar by Nick Bishop looking at our defensive patterns, coming to the same conclusion that the majority here come to about Nathan Grey's plan. Not sure why or how is permitted to stay in the role and surely the same questions would have been asked in the big meeting with MC and the RA board????

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/10/24/its-time-for-the-wallabies-to-stop-the-music-on-defence/

It is very odd but I doubt that the folks at RA can work out the “system” if the players cannot. Obviously the ABs have been having a chuckle about it as far back as 2015. Nick Bishop is a decent bloke so he suggests that he has full confidence in the coaching staff to sort this out. I doubt that very much. How could anyone when it has not been sorted out in the last 3 years?
I admire Cheikas loyalty but he will be remembered for his results good or bad and his assistants will not be given the blame or credit.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

It is not a good idea for Boards to interfere in executive decisions, as a general rule. They should be concentrating on strategic issues, not tactical and operational ones.

If the Board came to the conclusion that there were serious problems that were not being addressed properly by the executive their only recourse is to get a new CEO.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

I had thought that the barn dance had been tempered. Evidently not so.

Bishop’s article last week (from recollection) was a similar review of the attack pod structure and rugby nouse. Also worth’s read.

None of it really gives great enthusiasm for where the team is going nor does it support the recent mantra that the problem is the players not doing what they are asked.

Who knows, let’s see this next game.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Cheika is on record as saying he wants more alignment between the Wallabies and the Super Rugby teams. Does he really mean he wants Hodge and Koroibete (and Genia for that matter) to play the same defensive systems at the Rebels as he and Grey have them playing for the Wallabies? If that is alignment, then I'd have no issue with Wessels or any of the Super Rugby coaches telling him to FOff.

It is one of the reasons the Kiwis are simply better, they have an agreed and consistent approach to playing rugby. Whereas we can't even the Super Rugby coaches to get in the same room and we have only just agreed to share fitness data (the ponies didn't want to share apparently)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
That attitude would be consistent with your overt provincial bias.

Super rugby is in it's death throes. Who the hell would sacrifice wallaby performance for their provincial team? That kind of attitude is extremely counterproductive.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
That attitude would be consistent with your overt provincial bias.

Super rugby is in it's death throes. Who the hell would sacrifice wallaby performance for their provincial team? That kind of attitude is extremely counterproductive.

Maybe he really wants to sink a few pints with old mate AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in Tokyo?

To be honest I can't pass comment on AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s inclusion, I haven't seen him play for ages, but it seems odd given his age and he wasn't in electric form when he left.
Though we do have a shortage of 13s.
Injured Hodge, Injured TK leaves:
a rusty Kerevi lacking game time, a way too young and green Petaia, a 35 year old AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and what Folau or Naivulu if you squint your eyes a bit and hope for the best.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Squad named:

Petaia there and so is Rob Valetini. Rob is a Development Player

and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/Ne...2/Jordan-Petaia-named-in-Wallabies-squad.aspx

Edit: This is just another tour training squad. They are training in Japan for the week and the squad will be refined before it heads off to Wales..

Interesting, I think if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) looks up to it he will be a gig, we are down on experienced 13s, hopefully Petaia gets a learners squad spot

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Interesting, I think if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) looks up to it he will be a gig, we are down on experienced 13s, hopefully Petaia gets a learners squad spot
Skeptical hey. But, if anywhere near to his previous form hes worlds ahead of Hodge, who is very jack of all trades - master of none.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
They better not ruin Petaia. Kid needs a preseason. Same goes for Rob Valentini. Probably Jack Dempsey as well

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Skeptical hey. But, if anywhere near to his previous form hes worlds ahead of Hodge, who is very jack of all trades - master of none.

With Hodge and Kurindrani both wounded there is no experienced back up, add to that Kerevi just back from injury - we need some back up

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We are going to miss Hodge on this tour. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) becomes the backup guy. How is his pace these days?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Maybe he really wants to sink a few pints with old mate AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in Tokyo?

To be honest I can't pass comment on AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s inclusion, I haven't seen him play for ages, but it seems odd given his age and he wasn't in electric form when he left.
Though we do have a shortage of 13s.
Injured Hodge, Injured TK leaves:
a rusty Kerevi lacking game time, a way too young and green Petaia, a 35 year old AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and what Folau or Naivulu if you squint your eyes a bit and hope for the best.

And he is already in Japan and at this stage it is only a training squad. I like Cheika getting these overseas guys into camp. It shows that if you come home you might be a chance (just like he did with Billy Meekes). It gives the coaching staff an opportunity to see if these blokes are any good.

Reactions: dru
Status
Not open for further replies.