• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
These are the Pigs I would be taking

1) AAA / Slipper or Robertson
2) Fainga’a / Mafi / Ulese
3) Sio / Thor /Kepu
4) Rodda /Coleman
5) Arnold / Philip
6) Salakai-Loto / Jones
7) Hooper /Pocock or Samu
8) Naisarani / Dempsey

Yep, I like that a lot. Pretty much the exact squad I'd take.

Could sub out Robertson for HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), but he's probably for the next cycle.

Coleman I agree with, proven performer at the top level and deserves a training camp to prove his worth. When he's good, he's good. Philip also very deserving, I'd have him there, but I don't think Cheiks will.

Jones, I still fear that he won't be able to translate his form to test rugby, but willing to give him a shot, again not sure if Cheiks will though.

Dempsey, still got a lot of time for that man. Fond memories of his MOTM performance across the dutch. Willing to give him a life line too.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well that's what we need to find out - whether he can do the same thing on the back of a pack which is less dominant. Currently he seems a step faster than every other halfback in the country, both in arrival and delivery. Assuming Genia starts, that's a pretty significant boost at the back end. We know what Phipps offers, and Powell's form would have to drop off a cliff to get to that level. Maybe it will happen without the pack advantage, but it has to be tested.

I'm just not sure there's time. There's 5 games until the RWC. I'd guess Cheika will be more interested in seeing what Nic White offers than whether Joe Powell, a player Cheika has had in most of his squads for the last two years has improved enough to jump past a couple of players he thinks are better. Powell ended up fourth in the pecking order behind Genia, Phipps and Gordon last year.

I'd almost be less surprised if Tate McDermott got a cap this year to see whether he is a smoky to take that position.

It's harsh but with such a limited build up I think the most likely option is to make most of your picks at the start of the test season and try to bed down combinations etc. I really can't see much trialling of various players across so few tests.

Anyway, we'll see what happens.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
I'm just not sure there's time. There's 5 games until the RWC. I'd guess Cheika will be more interested in seeing what Nic White offers than whether Joe Powell, a player Cheika has had in most of his squads for the last two years has improved enough to jump past a couple of players he thinks are better. Powell ended up fourth in the pecking order behind Genia, Phipps and Gordon last year.

I'd almost be less surprised if Tate McDermott got a cap this year to see whether he is a smoky to take that position.

It's harsh but with such a limited build up I think the most likely option is to make most of your picks at the start of the test season and try to bed down combinations etc. I really can't see much trialling of various players across so few tests.

Anyway, we'll see what happens.

I just think he's so far ahead of Phipps right now it's a no-brainer to make that plan A. But as you say, we'll see what happens. In regards to combinations, I'm assuming Lilo and Foley are the frontrunners for playmakers. Initially I listed Genia, Lilo starting with Powell, Foley on the bench, but if they want a guaranteed combo, they might be more inclined to start Genia and Foley with Powell and Lilo on the bench. Either way, I just can't see the logic of Phipps. White may be a different story, I haven't followed him, but even if he leapfrogs everyone to number 1, I'd still be taking Powell 3rd.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
He's played 71 tests and his game suits injecting speed to the game in limited minutes off the bench. I'd bet a substantial amount of money he will make the first squad at the very least.

It's more surprising all the suggestions that he won't get picked.

Bloody hell. He's played 71 tests? That snuck up on me. I wonder how many of them were from the bench.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It’s not a myth at all. If Phipps pass was strong he’d be our clear Number 1 half. That doesn’t mean every pass is sub standard or he can’t go through games where he passes well. But he has consistently across his career has an issue with the reliability of his pass and, as a half, it is his number 1 job.

The fact that other halves also throw the occasional or more than occasional bad pass doesn’t make Phipps passing better or worse.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
He's just a drastically weaker all round player than Genia and Powell (and maybe White) and could only possibly be considered by ignoring the previous 12 months and saying we've picked him before so he must be fine.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Bit of a myth to be honest.

I still recall the last Ireland test where Powell came off the bench behind Phipps who had a blinder and threw the worst pass of the game.

Yeah understand the point, but I've seen him spray the ball over Foley, Beale, To'omua or Cooper too many times for me to have any confidence in his ability to execute that core skill. The other area that concerns me is his ability to control his emotions in pressure situations. I've seen him screaming at referees many, many times and that's not a good thing for the rest of the team.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So James o’connor Looking to return - any franchise with any sense should sign him up as to me another k hunt redemption story and with less serious rap sheet then Mr hunt. If he was an nrl player he would be welcomed back with open arms!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm one of the biggest White fans you'll find (hence having to sort of viewing rights for Top 14 and the Premiership while he's been overseas), and I think it's a travesty to pick him over McDermott or Powell. Not because those guys are better players than White, but because they're here in Aus and playing well. Nic White left, and, while I'm not judging him for that, it should rule him out of Wallabies contention.

It really would be a good move to go back to selecting players who have been involved in the current year's Super competition. I say that even as an unabashed Nic White fan.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So James o’connor Looking to return - any franchise with any sense should sign him up as to me another k hunt redemption story and with less serious rap sheet then Mr hunt. If he was an nrl player he would be welcomed back with open arms!

He might have a less serious rap sheet but he's also not necessarily been known as a great club man at various points in the past.

The price would have to be right. I would expect him to want a high end Super Rugby salary and I doubt he would be worth it.

Arguably Hunt was only of value to the Waratahs because they weren't paying all his salary. At full freight I don't think he would have been close to being worth it (partly because he missed a fair bit of time with injury).

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)

Is he eligible for the World Cup? Another spanner in the works.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Genia will start, no questions asked. He's been top 5 Australian players for a decade and time & time again he's proven himself on the world stage. The Rebels are a shitshow and a proven blackhole for talent. When you've reached 100 caps for your country you've earned some slack on form, just ask TK and Ma'a Nonu.

People here have very short memories, for many of the Rebels games this year he's been their only shining light. Yeah, he's been absolute dog shit in the past month or two, but you don't throw away one of your few World XV contenders too quickly.

On that line of thinking, Kepu for one would still be the starting THP and Ala'alatoa and Tupou would be fighting for the bench spot. That is just an example. Experience/incumbency should only count if there is little between the competing players. At the moment Powell is playing quite significantly better than Genia (and Phipps et al) and in my book should be the starting No 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.