• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Okay it has been a long without this old man posting but quite frankly I'm fed up with our lacklustre performances. What are we 3/11? It is time for a change. Cheika to go, Larkham to go, Grey to go, Raiwalui to go go. Jake White to come in with a decent attack coach that I'm unsure of yet. At the moment I see no clear strength in the team, no go to, no point of difference, just consistently below NZ standard across the board. Pooper time is over, even though I rate Hooper (not as a captain), Foley and Beale are too inconsistent at this level. So I nominate a different approach with a clear game plan similar to that of RSA and ENG.
Here it is, my squad for the RWC, slightly bias but keep Simmons, Phipps and Hanigan long gone.
1. Sio
2. FF (Folau Fainga'a)
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Arnold
5. Coleman
6. Dempsey
7. Pocock (c)
8. Naisarani- unproven, but physical and can line out jump
9. Genia
10. To'omua
11. Naivalu
12. Kerevi
13. Kurindrani
14. DHP
15. Folau
16. TPN
17. Kepu
18. Thor
19. Luke Jones
20. Hooper
21. Gordon
22. Foley
23. Banks
Slipper
Uelese
Rodda
Tui
Valentini- after a break out year in Super Rugby
Powell
Beale
Korobeite/Hodge

Let me know your thoughts but time for a change, CTB out

Really like it CTB. Would have Rodda in gthe starting lineup in place of Coleman, but little change otherwise. Missing players who have reached the point where they should be dropped including Simmons, Hanigan, Phipps, Beale - bloody good.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Beale's biggest contribution to Australian Rugby was done from his mobile phone and he offers nothing extraordinary onfield but sideways runs, loops passes, direct offloads to the opposition, constant chip kicks to nobody or long kicks also to nobody and weak defence. If Foley deserves to be dropped Beale should be banished from Australian Rugby completely. He has never performed to any consistency in senior Rugby.

B

Bobby Sands

To'omua at 10 will start next week. Beale surely dropped as well now.

But who on tour can play 12?

Samu?

Literally not another 12 on tour.

Rock bottom.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
To'omua at 10 will start next week. Beale surely dropped as well now.

But who on tour can play 12?

Samu?

Literally not another 12 on tour.

Rock bottom.

Well Kerevi is probably a better rounded 12 than 13 but that would mean Folau/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 which seems risky. I just want to see Petaia off the bench next weekend if nothing else (don't care where he plays, just get him on the field).

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Well Kerevi is probably a better rounded 12 than 13 but that would mean Folau/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 which seems risky. I just want to see Petaia off the bench next weekend if nothing else (don't care where he plays, just get him on the field).

Italy is the sort of game where Petaia would be likely to be blooded. Start him at 13 with Kerevi at 12 and To'omua at 10 - got to be better than Beale.

B

Bobby Sands

Absolutely. Dare I say it, he is a better option than most already.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Beale's biggest contribution to Australian Rugby was done from his mobile phone and he offers nothing extraordinary onfield but sideways runs, loops passes, direct offloads to the opposition, constant chip kicks to nobody or long kicks also to nobody and weak defence. If Foley deserves to be dropped Beale should be banished from Australian Rugby completely. He has never performed to any consistency in senior Rugby.

I see Beale as symptom of the problem, he is too small to gain metres without a set of pigs going forward, so he reverts to the under 12s and tries to go around them, but it always comes down to the forwards, we just lack accuracy and punch

It is obvious how to beat Aus at the moment, stop the pigs from getting consistent front foot ball and we run out of options. Rush the backs in defence and they go sideways to try to find space

We have since Mortlock retired - he was our last unit that could be relied on to get us over the advantage line from static ball.

Why do you think Skelton was given time so early? he could get front foot ball as he lumbered forward. It is my guess why Latu was preferred to start as well (also why Dempsey is continually rushed back) we are struggling to find that solution

Again all the talk is of which backs should be dropped when it should be how do we cobble together a better set of pigs

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
That’s not quite true FP and although the forwards are far from perfect they laid on a lot of good go forward ball n the first 25 minutes of the test on the weekend.
The backs lacked penetration, except for DHP, and then KB (Kurtley Beale) reverted to chipping the ball back to the Welsh. To'omua should be our 12 and goal kicker and someone else at13 until Kurindrani returns.
Kerevi is incapable of hitting a gap. He runs at the opposition and try’s to out muscle them with a fend. It just does not work most of the time at this level. I would start Petaia against Italy with To'omua inside him and Kerevi on the bench.

We have nothing to lose really. All is pretty much lost.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That’s not quite true FP and although the forwards are far from perfect they laid on a lot of good go forward ball n the first 25 minutes of the test on the weekend.
The backs lacked penetration, except for DHP, and then KB (Kurtley Beale) reverted to chipping the ball back to the Welsh. To'omua should be our 12 and goal kicker and someone else at13 until Kurindrani returns.
Kerevi is incapable of hitting a gap. He runs at the opposition and try’s to out muscle them with a fend. It just does not work most of the time at this level. I would start Petaia against Italy with To'omua inside him and Kerevi on the bench.

We have nothing to lose really. All is pretty much lost.

I would guess the chip kick was planned to attempt to plant the the feet of the rush defence

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I would guess the chip kick was planned to attempt to plant the the feet of the rush defence
The chip, or even grubber, is a great tactic against a rush defence for someone who can actually fucking kick.

Watching us trying to out kick Wales was like watching two different grades play each other. Completely outclassed.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The chip, or even grubber, is a great tactic against a rush defence for someone who can actually fucking kick.

Watching us trying to out kick Wales was like watching two different grades play each other. Completely outclassed.

That is the difference between the right idea and effective execution. (the kick and the chase)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The half backs in the game between England and the Darkness gave master classes in box kicking. Off topic, I know, except in the sense that kicking is just totally underrated as a skill in our game.

Chubby, of course, is still mired in the good old days when Randwick never kicked the ball.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Beale is an undoubted crabber on the field but i believe the systems are failing him more than he is failing the systems.

Numerous times on Sunday morning he received the ball 10 sometimes 15m behind the advantage line, generally his pack was infront of him and a stagnant backline player either Folau or Kerevi were positioned 10-15m to the side of him.

This leaves a few options, either go into contact, of which he is too small to do and potentially get isolated for a short period of time because the pack is having to get behind him to clear the defense out of the ruck, plus this also means no power is generated from the players trying to clear out. Shuffle a pass to an equally stagnant player (not the players fault but the shape they are told to play in) or try and run around the oncoming rush defense and create something from nothing. The structure and shapes implied are stupid and unfair on both forwards and backs.

We don't have world beaters in our team, but we clearly have better than whats been produced. I'd go as far as saying the ABs would struggle in the shapes and patterns we are trying to consistently run from.

Playing a few blocker plays out the back is all good and well, but it needs to be used in moderation with a balance between flat attack, a mixed kicking game and some simple pick and goes.

It's time for the entire coaching team to go, they are basically running plays from 5-6yrs ago that were nullified by the rush defense employed by most teams in 2018.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Lets face it, test rugby is a different beast to provincial footy....obviously. It is also plain to see that Michael Cheika is well suited to one but not the other.
As much as I dislike Jake Whites go to the highest bidder mantra he is the bloke who can re-instill the basics in this team and turn around the Wallabies before the RWC next year. We absolutely have the cattle but they have been coached into a directionless rabble. All of the support staff must go as well as Cheika.
Its very difficult to say if there should be a place in our starting side for the likes of Kurtley Beale, Ned Hanigan, Pocock at 8 or Tolu Latu or a place in the squad for many of those now touring. Its a tragedy that Cheika turned his back on the likes of Scott Fardy and Sean McMahon in favour of the Pooper, which was well and truly found out in the RWC 2015 final for all to see.
Test rugby is about fortitude, consistency and discipline. Only when those are achieved can a test coach seek out flare and exciting rugby which is the cream on top of what is required to match and beat the best.
Cheika does not get it and is unwilling to even consider that his way will not work despite nearly 4 mediocre years and a declining team.
Sad days for Australian rugby for sure.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
McMahon was a first team player when he left. He turned his back on the Wallabies for cash because he knew his body wouldn't hold up. Hate this narrative that it was somehow Cheika's fault. If you are going to bash the bloke at least correctly identify why he is failing.

He is a successful coach at both provincial and test levels. His style of management is just not suited to long term stability. He is a man motivator. He has very little affinity for strategic or tactical thinking. When he took over, he had a fairly highly skilled, knowledgeable rugby team that was massively under-performing. He took them, identified a few shortcomings, patched them with European based players and gave them a kick up the arse all the way to the RWC final (see Waratahs and Potgeiter, etc).

Post RWC his job was to rebuild a team with a lot of aging talent gone or going. And whilst he has blooded a very large number of new players he has largely failed, because his skills are no longer suitable to his role. His newly apparent shortcomings could have been compensated for byassistant coaches, and perhaps a selection panel. The only useful assistant we had left to become a head coach of a rival team. Larkham and Grey, despite clearly demonstrating their inability at lower levels, still got hired for the job largely because they are Australian. Our very own affirmative action program. So now the issue is not purely on Cheika but also a systemic one. The wrong people hired for the wrong job across the board.

Now, if Australian rugby wasn't on it's knees and we were still churning out naturally talented players, the provinces were performing and people were watching and playing then we would probably still be seeing some half decent results. But we are reaping what was sewn decades ago.

So you can bitch and moan about this selection or that but the issues are fundamental both with Cheika and Australian Rugby.

Edit: If i had to plan succession i would get in Deans or White on a one year contract, with whatever assistants they wanted. Post RWC i would hire someone like Lancaster.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
Might be a good time to run naivalu at 13 too with jordan and marika on the wings and folau back at 15, rest beale, run kerevi at 12..its obvious kerevi is a 12 but won't play there as long as beale is around so why not test him there (Atleast as a backup 12 for beale) against minnows italy, JP is a long prospect at 13, too early for him now, starting off at wing is the best way for him, they rushed Rona to 13 once and it backfired on him..

Status
Not open for further replies.