• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I love that after a few Super Rugby games and I believe one start, people are talking about Sorovi for the RWC squad next year.
Bit of a theme. Mostly wishful thinking right?

People have done the same with Valentini and the 6 jersey. Simone a year or two ago and the 12 jersey, etc.

Combination of exciting potential and a lack of talent in the Wallabies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I love that after a few Super Rugby games and I believe one start, people are talking about Sorovi for the RWC squad next year.

A year is a long time in Rugby, BPA hadn't played any Super Rugby till this year and he was a Wallaby starter. Not saying Sorovi will necessarily make the squad but from what he's shown he's one to keep an eye on.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A year is a long time in Rugby, BPA hadn't played any Super Rugby till this year and he was a Wallaby starter. Not saying Sorovi will necessarily make the squad but from what he's shown he's one to keep an eye on.

Yes, but the first choice is being rested and the second choice is injured. The first choice for much of last year retired.

So yes, Sorovi is a genuine chance for the RWC if three halfbacks ahead of him all get injured and miss the RWC.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Yes, but the first choice is being rested and the second choice is injured. The first choice for much of last year retired.

So yes, Sorovi is a genuine chance for the RWC if three halfbacks ahead of him all get injured and miss the RWC.

BPA would still have been in that first Wallaby squad even if Taf and Uelese were available. Sure, Sorovi isn't as accomplished as Phipps or Powell but I don't see think it's entirely unreasonable to float his name given that we hardly have great depth at halfback.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
BPA would still have been in that first Wallaby squad even if Taf and Uelese were available. Sure, Sorovi isn't as accomplished as Phipps or Powell but I don't see think it's entirely unreasonable to float his name given that we hardly have great depth at halfback.

If Latu and Fainga'a lock down the starting 2 roles for Tah and Brumbies then it'll be some nice friendly competition again for that 3rd spot.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

BPA has started in 2 years of NRC and Shute Shield and then every game (bar one) of Super Rugby this year.

Sorovi has spent time in reserve grade over the last couple of years, struggled to get a starting gig in NRC and has started one Super Rugby game this year. A wonderful talent but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
BPA has started in 2 years of NRC and Shute Shield and then every game (bar one) of Super Rugby this year.

Sorovi has spent time in reserve grade over the last couple of years, struggled to get a starting gig in NRC and has started one Super Rugby game this year. A wonderful talent but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Yep, I get where you and BH are coming from, just think he's the most promising of the next lot behind Genia and unlucky not to have had more game time this year with Lucas picked ahead of him even when it was clear he was out of form.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yep, I get where you and BH are coming from, just think he's the most promising of the next lot behind Genia and unlucky not to have had more game time this year with Lucas picked ahead of him even when it was clear he was out of form.

I am still a big fan of Gordon, just needs the opportunity. Actually think this weeks game is make or break for Phipps, if he plays well he has basically put one foot on the plane to the wc, if he bombs i think it could be the end of him in wallaby colours. Powell isn't a bad player either

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Arguably, Genia is at his peak, and Phipps is definitely on the down hill slope imo. Come RWC time, No 9 might not be as well served as it is atm. Depends in part on how Powell and Gordon progress, if they do at all. There is no doubting that Sorovi has huge potential and even green as he is, he is showing glimpses of running/sniping skills not necessarily on show with any of the other contenders apart from Genia. Given the conservatism of Cheika and his assistants, he may not make it to the squad for the RWC but I think he'll be well and truly in the mix immediately afterwards.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Given the conservatism of Cheika and his assistants, he may not make it to the squad for the RWC but I think he'll be well and truly in the mix immediately afterwards.

Is he more or less conservative than other coaches? Based on the number of debutantes he's selected since the RWC it's hard to argue he's conservative in his selections.

People seem to argue it on the basis that he doesn't select the players that they want and think are good.

By the same logic, selecting new players that you don't think are good surely that makes him even less conservative.

After the 2019 RWC is a whole different kettle of fish. There'll be a substantial turnover as there is after every RWC.

I do like the notion though that Cheika is a conservative coach on the basis that a guy who has started one Super Rugby game isn't heavily in the frame for the RWC squad in a year's time.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Cheika heard you, R3, Jake's been called into the squad today. Let's hope he grabs the opportunity with both hands.

I'm not sure Gordon wasn't carrying an injury in the last few weeks of Super Rugby. At the start of the season he looked like he'd be the backup for Genia but his speed to the ruck slowed considerably in the back half of this first Super stint. Hopefully if he gets a shot he will return to that form he had at the start of the season.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

If you take out Genia that leaves 4 x 9's that will be starting in Australia. Sorovi is nowhere near Genia but I believe he is pretty close to matching the others and cannot see a reason why with a couple of more Super games, a full NRC season and another Super season why he wont move past the others.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You all realise it was this guy's fault? Mea culpa.............
It's going to be hard for any 9s behind Genia to really prove anything at Test level too much, unless he gets injured. They're just not going to get a lot of time on the field. Especially with no possibly "easier" Tests on the horizon to allow a bench player a longer stint on the field. So, much will be based on Super Rugby form this year and next. And we have seen in many cases how that does not always translate to Tests. I think he'll take 3 ultimately, with Powell in there.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Cheika heard you, R3, Jake's been called into the squad today. Let's hope he grabs the opportunity with both hands.
It'll be Phipps/Powell. I can't see how he could justify bringing Gordon straight into the side over either at this point.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I reckon yer right there, D, but having Gordon involved in Wallaby squad activities gives him the chance to see what's required at the next level. And for the coaching staff to have a better look at him. Jake's now in the mix for a spot in the RWC squad.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I reckon yer right there, D, but having Gordon involved in Wallaby squad activities gives him the chance to see what's required at the next level. And for the coaching staff to have a better look at him. Jake's now in the mix for a spot in the RWC squad.
Yeah i hope he kicks on. I rate him higher than Phipps and Powell. But that might be my provincial bias shining through.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah i hope he kicks on. I rate him higher than Phipps and Powell. But that might be my provincial bias shining through.

I think he's been a bit off pace this year, to be honest. Thought he was more promising last year but has been injured I think. He has a lot of upside, but so do others - Powell, Sorovi, Ruru (although he's been far from the "next big thing" status he seemed to be getting last year too).

Status
Not open for further replies.