• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He’s 24 now Derp, has been around Super rugby for 4 yrs, has a test cap and has every opportunity to stand up and show the kind of leadership that the young Tahs team needs.

I don't think he's much of a leader to be honest. Which was fine when we had Simmo and Hoops. I'm not sure your 'enforcer' is meant to be the leader, is he?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Leadership comes in different forms. Tahs coaches would love to have Swinton out there leading with his actions. I don’t care if he doesn’t say a word. I definitely wouldn’t burden him with captaincy.

He can be that type of player - he showed that against the Reds & the ABs.

After his suspension he should have been chomping at the bit to come back. Maybe he is actually trying to reign his game in and he is struggling with the balance.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I remember James Horwill was the young hot head at the Reds when he was given the captaincy, plenty had their doubts but it worked well for him and the team.

I just think he is trying too hard in a team under pressure, hard issue to resolve.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Swinton is a coach's dream.
Here you have a player with size, skill and attitude and your job is to mould the right attitude.
Surely that is easier than developing the size and skill.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I don't necessarily agree with the comment about him trying to live up to his press. My information is that he has been super-aggressive going right back to his school years, and that stepping over the line has always been a problem.
Personally I wouldn't have him in the wallaby mix at the moment (wouldn't have last year either, by the way), he needs to be much more consistent with his involvement and controlled in his aggression. If he can deal with those issues, then he definitely becomes the 6 we are looking for.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Swinton also got bossed by Valetini last week. It was the most vocal I've seen Valetini and he seemed to really enjoy giving it to "the enforcer" Swinton. I suspect he went out there with a point to prove.

IMO Swinton really needs to put in some good performances week in week out to prove he is the Wallabies 6. Not just a shot and a bit of carry on once or twice a game.

Edit: first round game.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think the issue here though Froggy is who is the Wallaby 6? Swinton definitely has his shortcomings, and I wouldn’t have him in my squad either, but every other candidate has their own shortcomings.

The door is very open for one of the players to grab the jersey.

How much value is placed on the capacity of the 6 to be a dominant lineout jumper will play a big part on the ranking.

FFs post above is on the money in a lot of respects in that Swinton has the physical attributes of your ideal 6. Still has some way to go to be the right player though.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Purce, You mean the first round? If so, I agree. If he ran more, he could channel his chest beating tough guy thing into a viable contribution on the field. He’s a big strong powerful guy, if he can kerb his hot headed ness, he can develop a power running game. And if you talk trash and get into the push and shove, at least then run at the guy you’re squabbling with.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Swinton also got bossed by Valetini last week. It was the most vocal I've seen Valetini and he seemed to really enjoy giving it to "the enforcer" Swinton. I suspect he went out there with a point to prove.

IMO Swinton really needs to put in some good performances week in week out to prove he is the Wallabies 6. Not just a shot and a bit of carry on once or twice a game.
???

On Friday night? Swinton didn’t play.

Edit : if you mean the first round, I complete agree. I don’t mind if Valetini outpointed him, but you at least want Swinton up for the fight.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I remember James Horwill was the young hot head at the Reds when he was given the captaincy, plenty had their doubts but it worked well for him and the team.

I just think he is trying too hard in a team under pressure, hard issue to resolve.

Horwill also calmed down a bit after getting the captaincy.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I think people get frustrated with Swinton in the same way they do with Maddocks. He has shown what he is capable of, which is having a very good impact at test and super level, however he is extremely inconsistent and rarely performs at that level. I also think people view inconsistency as a purely mental thing which frustrates a lot of supporters.

He is young so has that on his side. I imagine he is the kind of guy who would really thrive under Thorn. I thought Penney would be a good coach for him actually.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
All valid points, I think, on balance, if toning down aggression is what we are dealing with as the major concern then that a good position to be in. The earlier comment about him enjoying the control that hooper gave him is probably under appreciated.... but agree it’s on him to step up and stay on the right side of the red line

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think the issue here though Froggy is who is the Wallaby 6?
Valetini.

It’s a completely different ball game when you’re running into Steph-Du-Toit and Etzebeth or you’ve got Vunipola running at you. Size matters.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Valetini.

It’s a completely different ball game when you’re running into Steph-Du-Toit and Etzebeth or you’ve got Vunipola running at you. Size matters.

On the other hand, our game is usually built on speed around the park. I reckon it could be LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6.

Reactions: dru

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
On the other hand, our game is usually built on speed around the park. I reckon it could be LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6.
If you want speed do you want LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)?

In any case, time we put less emphasis on speed. It’s not worked for us for a while.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I think we'll definitely see at least one or maybe two of Antsee, Kemney or Uru off the bench against the French. Rennie is clearly unhappy with a lot of the incumbents. Looking at how many players EJ (Eddie Jones) discarded in 2018, I think Rennie will run the cull again. No longer settling in, he's had a proper year now, knows the systems, the players etc.

I think by the end of the French series, the conversation will look remarkably different from last year and definitely by the end of next year.

Bold call: Swinton, Valetini & Wright won't be in the 23 in a year's time.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Regarding the Hooper / McReight discussion -- nether of them can play 6, (Liam) Wright is probably the only 7 in that Test space currently who can genuinely play 6, the rest are too short and/or not abrasive enough. I think most would be aware I'm a big proponent of the 'Hooper era' being over, obviously we can't judge his form right now as he's playing in Japan so even those who do watch him can't compare. I also think Hooper's captaincy has always been poor, I'm sure the players love him (not that anyone would say if they didn't), but it's pretty clear the refs don't, and that he seams to make poor decisions with the captaincy. I actually think it's unfortunate for a player like McReight that Hooper isn't playing in SRAU this year because McReight can't dethrone him, no matter how well he plays the selectors will likely assume that 'oh well Hooper is better'.
But I'll leave the Hooper stuff for another time. My point being nether of them are proper 6's.

I think Swinton clearly has been quite poor this year, you'd expect 'your Wallabies 6' to be the best player on his team every other week yet the only Waratah to show they are anywhere close to Test level is probably Tizzano, unless Swinton puts in some big shifts between now and the test. IMO we've got two directions we can go -- a 6/7 a la Wright or Samu (perhaps ASY (Angus Scott-Young) but probably not), or a bruising 6 like an Valetini or Uru (perhaps LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)). Obviously Wright is unknown because he's not been playing, but I think he's a good candidate if he can show some good form; I think Wright is low key the best prospect for an answer to the 6 question.