• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Attack Efficiency

Another made up stat, but basically looks at clean breaks and defenders beaten per carry and considers metres per carry too (note, don't have post contact metres). The higher the better

Hey Reg nice work on the stats, just so I can understand what I’m looking at how have you calculated the figure for attack efficiency?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Wilson and Samu are always in the wider channels whereas the other 8s seem to be playing closer to the ruck. Wells has been outstanding. It’s really going to depend on what Rennie is looking for but its hard to go past Wilson as your starting 8 now and moving forward. He has such massive potential improvement in his game. Ditto for McReight although he is not yet at Hoopers level.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Wilson and Samu are always in the wider channels whereas the other 8s seem to be playing closer to the ruck. Wells has been outstanding. It’s really going to depend on what Rennie is looking for but its hard to go past Wilson as your starting 8 now and moving forward. He has such massive potential improvement in his game. Ditto for McReight although he is not yet at Hoopers level.

I agree with Samu but I think Wilson is playing pretty tight. The Reds use their hooker where Samu plays.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
There's a bit of second year syndrome about Wilson I think, but I'm not too worried. I still think he gets the Wallaby 8 jersey against France.

The McReight vs Hooper looms as a fascinating battle. It wouldn't shock me to see them both starting at some point, though given Wilson's lineout involvement I'd suggest they'd have to have a different third wheel, like Samu or Hanigan.

McReight offers plenty of things we like in a 6, bar the lineout. He's physical, aggressive, works hard, runs and tackles well. His ball-running and support play separate him from Pocock in the 'Pooper' system, which was never quite what we needed from a 6/8. Fraser could be a bit more suited to that role.

Clearly they are both very talented, and if we don't have a standout option at 6/8 then I'd give it a crack to see how it goes.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
As usual it'll come down to the lineout I think. Given the numbers its hard to see Rennie starting Valetini at 6 with Wilson at 8 unless he's feeling lucky.

I think the primary attributes required of the 6 will be lineout and workrate. So, Hanigan (or maybe even LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)).

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm not thinking we will get much in the way of smokies sadly...

I actually think a favourite of mine in Wright will miss out due to the rise of Mcreight

my 6 backrowers would now be
Hanigan, Swinton, Wilson, Valetini, Hoops, Mcreight.

Kemeny is well stuck behind several others at 6, so I think Naisarani, Samu and Uru as 8 options (at the expense of Hanigan or Swinton) all have a better chance then Kemeny.

Of course this is me assuming it will be a 33 man squad with
3 x Hookers
5 x props
4 x locks
6 x backrow

3 x halfback
3 x flyhalf
4 x centre
5 x outside back

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There's a bit of second year syndrome about Wilson I think, but I'm not too worried. I still think he gets the Wallaby 8 jersey against France.

The McReight vs Hooper looms as a fascinating battle. It wouldn't shock me to see them both starting at some point, though given Wilson's lineout involvement I'd suggest they'd have to have a different third wheel, like Samu or Hanigan.

McReight offers plenty of things we like in a 6, bar the lineout. He's physical, aggressive, works hard, runs and tackles well. His ball-running and support play separate him from Pocock in the 'Pooper' system, which was never quite what we needed from a 6/8. Fraser could be a bit more suited to that role.

Clearly they are both very talented, and if we don't have a standout option at 6/8 then I'd give it a crack to see how it goes.

I don't think Hooper at 6 is a worthwhile experiment ;-)

Dusky W

Allen Oxlade (6)
Love the stats Reg. I take it you had a quiet Easter with a bit of spare time.

Do you have access to the post-contact metres statistics? If you do, can you build them into the Attack Efficiency? Or just post them up on their own? (pcm/carries)

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Looks like we are in for another Smith/Waugh/Croft type golden era of opensides with the Pooper handing over to McReight, Tizzano and Liam Wright who I personally view as more of a 7 than 6.

One slot that the wallabies have never been wanting for.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok, I'm a completionist so have finished the forwards.

Hookers

9 players have played hooker this season:

Feleti Kaitu’u – 5 times
Alex Mafi – 4
Dave Porecki – 4
Folau Fainga’a – 4
James Hanson – 3
Brandon Paenga-Amosa – 2
Connal McInerney – 2
Jordan Uelese – 2
Tom Horton – 2

Tackle Success:

BPA @ 100%

Uelese @ 100%
Fainga'a @ 97.06%
Hanson @ 96.30%
Kaitu’u @ 92.98%
Porecki @ 88.57%
McInerney @ 87.5%
Mafi @ 86.36%
Horton @ 83.33%
BPA and Uelese have only made 8 and 6 tackles respectively. Fainga'a’s stats are outstanding as are Hanson’s. None are really bad.

Tackles per game

Kaitu’u – 10.6
Hanson – 8.67
Fainga'a – 8.25
Porecki – 7.75
Horton – 5
Mafi – 4.75
BPA – 4
McInerney – 3.5
Uelese – 3

The three highest here are also the ones with the highest tackle percentage which is outstanding.

Defensive importance to team

Kaitu’u is doing 7.34% of his team’s tackling
Hanson 7.16%
Fainga'a 6.42%
Porecki 6.26%
Horton – 5.13%
Mafi – 4.56%
BPA - 3.28%
Uelese – 3.14%
McInerney – 2.92%
Those same three are up the top again.

Attack Efficiency

Mafi – 116

Uelese – 44.9
Fainga'a – 21
Porecki – 11.76
Hanson – 11.11
Kaitu’u – 0
Horton – 0
BPA – 0
McInerney – 0

Mafi the expected standout but Fainga'a’s figures are still good and go well with his defensive work. An area of work for Kaitu’u if he wants to go further?.

Most penalties conceded:

Mafi/ Fainga'a – 3
Porecki / Hanson / Kaitu’u / McInerney – 2
BPA – 1
Uelese / Horeto - 1

Work Rate:

Kaitu’u – 17

Fainga'a – 14
Hanson – 13
Porecki – 12
Mafi – 8
Horton – 7
Uelese – 7
BPA – 6
McIneney – 5

In summary, Kaitu’u is a deserved Wallaby PONI squad call up, but we probably want more out of Mafi (or is that how the Reds are wanting him to play, again as evidenced by his high attacking impact). Hanson and Fainga'a both consistently performing too.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
THPS
10 THPs used so far this season.
Pone Fa’amausili – 5
Taniela Tupou – 5
Harry Johnson-Holmes – 4
Allan Ala'alatoa – 3
Santiago Medrano – 3
Greg Holmes – 2
James Slipper – 2
Tetera Faulkner – 2
Feao Fotuaika – 1
Thomas Ross – 1

So I won’t be looking further at the 1 cappers nor Medrano as he’s not Wallaby eligible

Tackle Success:

Holmes – 100% (14 tackles)

Slipper – 93.75%
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) – 86.67%
AAA – 82.35%
Tupou – 73.91%
Faulkner – 70% (7 tackles)
Pone – 66.67%
So the two big men (Tupou and Pone) are really very low. Perhaps the focus is on big hits too much or they just can’t wrap their arms around the opposition. Holmes is bloody good for an older timer, Slipper superb.

Tackles per game

Slipper – 15
Holmes – 7
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) – 6.5
Pone – 4.8
AAA – 4.67
Faulkner – 3.5
Tupou – 3.4
Clearly Tupou’s focus is not defence while Slipper’s work is quite mind blowing.

Defensive importance to team

Slipper makes 10% of his team’s tackles when playing
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) 5.83%
Holmes 5.07%
Pone 4.33%
AAA 3.97%
Tupou 3.06%
Faulkner 2.58%

Attack Efficiency

Tupou – 69
Pone – 18.64
Everyone is else 0.
Not a surprising result and not a really key criteria but clearly Tupou is a massive asset in this area.

Most penalties conceded:
Pone / HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) – 8
Tupou – 6
Holmes – 5
AAA – 2
Slipper – 1
Faulkner - 0

Work Rate:

Slipper – 18

HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) – 15
Pone – 10
Holmes / AAA / Tupou - 8
Faulkner - 7

Obviously scrummaging is the key criteria for a prop and there’s no quantitative stat that really captures that. So we have to look past that a bit. Slipper is a freak from a workrate and effectiveness perspective. And this is filling in at THP away from his favoured LHP! Shout out to Holmes who is digging in and I like the progression in Pone’s game too – he’s clearly developed and more than just a kick returner!