• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
To me the really interesting decision comes at 6. Rennie mainly used Hanigan, though Swinton would have had more starts if not for suspension you'd think. Clearly he likes work rate in that position.

Rob Valetini has improved his game to the point where it's surely very hard not to pick him. The most appealing thing about him is his physicality, which is as good as I've seen in a 6 for a long time. He was smashing blokes on Saturday night, in attack and defence.

But the Brumbies play him wider. He doesn't jump in the lineout much (as Reg's stats show). He's not a Hanigan or a Scott-Young workhorse type, though he plays the full 80 so he's clearly got a motor. So there's a case he will stay on the bench as Rennie opts for work over impact in his 6.

I would disagree with this case. Rob's time has surely come. Let him hurt blokes from the opening whistle.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Valetini plays 6 to be that physical ball runner, does it increase the chance of someone like Michael Wells (or Josh Kemeny) playing 8 for their workrate?

Harry Wilson's form last year was certainly better than it is currently. I certainly expect him to get the first crack again at number 8 but last year we largely opted for a 6 to complement his skillset.

If Valetini is playing 6, does Wilson's role change somewhat to complement Valetini and can he do it effectively?

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Maybe, but I think Wilson is up to it. He's been a hard worker for the Reds before, I think he can get in the trenches a bit more than he did in Gold last year.

He plays quite tight at the Reds currently, although he still needs to improve his subtlety and footwork in his attack. He's not going to dominate on the international stage (and this was demonstrated last year) if he doesn't move on from his Sam Burgess- inspired kamikaze running.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If Valetini plays 6 to be that physical ball runner, does it increase the chance of someone like Michael Wells (or Josh Kemeny) playing 8 for their workrate?

Harry Wilson's form last year was certainly better than it is currently. I certainly expect him to get the first crack again at number 8 but last year we largely opted for a 6 to complement his skillset.

If Valetini is playing 6, does Wilson's role change somewhat to complement Valetini and can he do it effectively?

If Valetini plays the physical ball runner and enforcer why doesn't he just play 8?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Maybe, but I think Wilson is up to it. He's been a hard worker for the Reds before, I think he can get in the trenches a bit more than he did in Gold last year.
Agree. I kinda hope he puts the pressure on Valetini and Wilson by picking them but saying they have to assume they are there for the 80. Of course both probably won't be, but let's see.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
That first half from Valetini was EPIC, but he went missing for a lot of the second half. He only finished the night with 11/2 tackles, and 8 runs. Very respectable but he had something like 6 runs and 9 tackles in the fist half. And IIRC he played out the 80. If you can get that first half, drag it out another 20 mins then bring in someone from the bench for him your golden, but if he does good missing from games your left with a big problem.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Valetini and Samu actually switched positions for the Vikings in the final NRC season, and Valetini played 8..........

But I'm sure there's no reason that he and whoever is wearing the 8 jersey can switch around at scrum time depending on the situation.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't REALLY worry too much if Valetini is a bit quieter, not everyone can be all workrate all the time, sometimes you need that guy on the field whose job it is to hit hard that handful of times and make a real dent. With Wilsons high work rate and Valetinis high power, should be a complementary combination.

Palu and Samo didn't have a million involvements, but they would kill a few people in their moments. The elsoms and horwills had the workrate

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
It would be excellent having someone out there who can really dominate those collisions and bully people. So often it feels like we’re on the other end of that treatment. I think that’s why we were all so excited when Swinton ripped in in his solo test.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I think Wilson did show that he can do that against the Brumbies after having been pretty fine up until that game. I think he is lucky Isi isn't playing for the Rebs otherwise he might find himself under a bit of pressure for the Wallabies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Angus Crichton for RWC23.
Overrated, much better edge forwards running around in the NRL.

Valetini>Wilson at this point in time. Still reckon Wilson is too much puppy fat and will establish himself properly in a few years time when he has a few more preseasons under his belt.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It would be excellent having someone out there who can really dominate those collisions and bully people. So often it feels like we’re on the other end of that treatment. I think that’s why we were all so excited when Swinton ripped in in his solo test.
I reckon we will see Swinton start in that first test at 6. He, if he plays like he did for all but the last few seconds of his one test, provides exactly what the back row needs to balance it out. Physicality, lineout ability and grunt at the coal face.
Valentini will be in the mix no doubt and Uru may be as well.
Wilson will start at 8. He’s earned it.