• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Haha - I dunno. So many really passionate supporters have left this forum. I don’t always agree with BRs opinion, but I like his passion and I don’t mind when he throws in the odd hand grenade. And, at the end of day he gets as good as he gives.

IMHO we miss guys like Waratah Jesus, Scotty, Qwerty & the like.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Actual form: 10. JOC (James O'Connor) (just, his form has slid IMO) 12. Simone 13. Paisami
Simone been ok but you would not want him starting as wallaby 10.JOC (James O'Connor)... Pro 12. I would almost suggest we could do 12. Paisami 13. Godwin (if Godwin keeps playing well as per recent games).

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
If he was no longer in contention for the Wallabies, ARU would move their funds elsewhere and leave the Rebels to foot the contract. It’s just how it works.

Big difference between in contention and Wallabies 23

I think he will be a very valuable squad member come the World Cup, especially against the lower tier opponents in our pool. But not in the best match day 23

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Simone been ok but you would not want him starting as wallaby 10.JOC (James O'Connor). Pro 12. I would almost suggest we could do 12. Paisami 13. Godwin (if Godwin keeps playing well as per recent games).

Disagree. He does basic things well, which a lot of our players don't. Main one being, he can stick a defender before setting up his outside man.

Paisami is massively explosive but he's still not particularly technical (cute grubbers aside). I think having a slightly understated player on his inside will only compliment him.

Having someone else with a boot also seems essential if you are starting JOC (James O'Connor) at 10.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Disagree. He does basic things well, which a lot of our players don't. Main one being, he can stick a defender before setting up his outside man.

Paisami is massively explosive but he's still not particularly technical (cute grubbers aside). I think having a slightly understated player on his inside will only compliment him.

Having someone else with a boot also seems essential if you are starting JOC (James O'Connor) at 10.

Your assessment of "form" for 10 - 12 - 13 is spot on I think. But it does show how the theme "just put the best player in each spot in that spot!" isn't necessarily the best selection.

I think that Rennie will very much have JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua in mind for 10-12, I'm not entirely sure which way around. I'm not convinced that Simone has shown what he needs to in order take the 12 - plenty disagree and they may be right. Also keep an eye on Perese. And I'd imagine that Rennie is thinking hard about To'omua, don't think it's a slam dunk.

I'd go close to rating Lolesio as the best of the new 10s coming through. He will struggle to oust To'omua/JOC (James O'Connor) simply on the grounds of experience and cool head. If those two manage through to RWC (which is likely) there may well be someone else on the horizon. I'd imagine that Lolesio will get his chance but not in the first XV very quickly.

I'd also suggest taking another look at Paisami - lacking "technicality" has been true but he has been working on it with excellent people. He might not be the full quid right now but he is definitely headed that way.

I think my selection would be JOC (James O'Connor) - Simone (with lots to prove) - Paisami. And I'd be tempted to try Perese at 12 at some point, maybe the B team from the bench.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Disagree, the ability to kick off both left and right foot is pretty technical and a massive factor at test level, Simone is an average to poor kicking option and have only seen it off his right foot. Noting all the 5/8 options are average kickers at best and none of the fullbacks are very good either, having a 12 who can kick will be essential.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Looking like no French player involved in the Top 14 finals will be involved in the tour to Australia. This will dramatically weaken them

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Philip also increasingly becoming unavailable because his team is the most likely to be involved in the relegation playoff

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Not been convinced in the past Simone will ever be wallaby standard but like Banks who held the same view both are growing on me. Banks definitely deserves starting 15 spot on form whilst I would be ok giving Simone a run in one of the French tests to test again if he can offer something more at wallaby level then his last wallaby outing (which was pretty ordinary and hence why not so much been in wallaby conversation). I like Simone as a super rugby player like I like a lot of super rugby players but still yet to be convinced his ceiling is any higher then super rugby level and think we are more waiting for better options to emerge. If Ikatua an improve to nail down the 13 Paisami would be gimme at 12.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Looking like no French player involved in the Top 14 finals will be involved in the tour to Australia. This will dramatically weaken them

This was my team I put together last month of who is likely to be available. Still amazing players and probably deserve to be favourites.
Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 8.13.25 am.png

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
yep

"“He’s got massive respect from the players because he’s a phenomenal trainer and he’s just constant throughout a game. He had 100 collisions (well above anyone else) in the last Test that we played and he spent 10 minutes in the bin. It’s just an outrageous amount of work that he gets through."