• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
fluffybunny earns 600k a year and can't return a phone call to a highly talented flanker (fuck the comparison argument off)? Isn't that his entire job?

What an absolute flog. The rot continues.

Flog of the highest order. You have your mate Raelene to thank for him.

Why is everyone placing so much weight on a negative Newscorp rugby article all of a sudden?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Did anyone watch Ben Darwin on RugbyPass? He is now a rugby statistical analyst and had some pretty interesting insights.

Primarily the major factor in successful teams was cohesion. Playing players out of position or chopping and changing teams often is a key factor in unsuccessful teams.

On this basis. I'm starting by selecting the entire Brumbies team and then inserting a few Reds ;)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
[quote="Seb V, post: 1203846, member: 1798"}

On this basis. I'm starting by selecting the entire Brumbies team and then inserting a few Reds ;)[/quote]

Yes they'd be beaten cohesively, but at least the stats would stack up. :confused:

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
[quote="Seb V, post: 1203846, member: 1798"}

On this basis. I'm starting by selecting the entire Brumbies team and then inserting a few Reds ;)

Yes they'd be beaten cohesively, but at least the stats would stack up. :confused:[/quote]

Possibly.

After Ben Darwin's input, I'm much more likely to select proven combo's, or not select players who won't be around for a while, and not selecting players out of position (especially at centre).

Given we have such a young team, there is a great chance for us to build some cohension and start building combinations.

Thinking about the bigger picture, rather then selecting who we think are the best 15 individuals on form.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Did anyone watch Ben Darwin on RugbyPass? He is now a rugby statistical analyst and had some pretty interesting insights.

Primarily the major factor in successful teams was cohesion. Playing players out of position or chopping and changing teams often is a key factor in unsuccessful teams.

What’s often misinterpreted tho is that he never says to choose cohesion now. He just states it’s a deciding factor on performance.

We are at a phase in the WC cycle where we can still pick on talent but have got to stick it out with them then.

For instance if you pick two guys that are 7/10 on talent and have an 8/10 cohesion you will get less return in the long run if you pick two guys 9/10 on talent but have a 4/10 cohesion. The one variable there is that the talent won’t change but the cohesion can always be improved on. That’s why if people are happy to go through a couple of years of pain but pick and stick (eg England 98/99) the end result will be greater. You’ll end up with 9/10 with 8/10 cohesion

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The main takeaway from Ben Darwin's research is that a team that has spent time together will perform better than a team that hasn't.

Pick and stick, etc.

Edit: oops Rebels3 beat me to it.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I agree. It does make me less likely to choose a player like Neville or To'omua who won't likely make it to the RWC and beyond.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
fluffybunny earns 600k a year and can't return a phone call to a highly talented flanker (fuck the comparison argument off)? Isn't that his entire job?

What an absolute flog. The rot continues.

Settle down. Second week in a row a poor me player article comes out from some managed by Piccone. Remember when Gill left? He'd signed a contract to start before his RA once was over and agitated for a release.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Settle down. Second week in a row a poor me player article comes out from some managed by Piccone. Remember when Gill left? He'd signed a contract to start before his RA once was over and agitated for a release.

Yeah, fair enough. I think I need a self imposed rugby ban.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes but I stopped reading at this point. Robbie Deans gave Hooper the start, Link gave him the captaincy

Were it not for David Pocock and Michael Cheika’s preference of one of his own Waratahs, Michael Hooper, it could have been Gill with 100 Tests.

I bet there are a lot of players who could have played 100 tests if the two guys who were better than them weren't there.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And just to rub it in........ Sean McMahon was selected ahead of him for the RWC squad in 2015 and played at 7 against Uruguay.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I bet there are a lot of players who could have played 100 tests if the two guys who were better than them weren't there.

Hooper and Pocock were better within (different) specific parameters that are a part of the 7 game. LFG was the better 7 across all of those parameters.

Agree though that it was an odd period where three Australian players had a claim to "best 7" that had legitimacy. And for that matter the choice of the other two over LFG was consistent with different coaching scenarios.

Wouldn't have been my choice though.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Hooper and Pocock were better within (different) specific parameters that are a part of the 7 game. LFG was the better 7 across all of those parameters.

Agree though that it was an odd period where three Australian players had a claim to "best 7" that had legitimacy. And for that matter the choice of the other two over LFG was consistent with different coaching scenarios.

Wouldn't have been my choice though.

Probably why they are professional coaches and your on an internet forum.. :)