• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
It would be interesting to compare the average professional career of an AFL/ Union/ NRL player - I'm pretty certain that AFL absolutely trumps when it comes to short careers and churning through players.

I'd tend to agree but they've got the benefit of being popular and the only avenue to play, similar to the NFL, they can afford to be ruthless to the extreme

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
It would be interesting to compare the average professional career of an AFL/ Union/ NRL player - I'm pretty certain that AFL absolutely trumps when it comes to short careers and churning through players.

The average currently is 3 years in the afl, every player that gets drafted gets a 2 year contract.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I’m hugely in favour of Maddocks at 15, albeit with sky blue glasses. Banks offers safety, but nothing else at test level. Maddocks might be inconsistent but can provide a point of difference. The ABs would target him but that could be at their peril, and they would know that.

Muzza

Herbert Moran (7)
We are Fucking dog shit!
None of the players can catch , pass , kick .
I have tried to be positive but can not handle the rubbish Australian rugby throws out every week .

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Vunivalu is a point of difference that all teams need, his development is pushing uphill for the test series this year but his improvement the past few games against quality opposition has been immense
He’ll be caught out more than a couple times against the French but needs the experience if we want him at the World Cup.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Been some interesting developments in TT, a few players emerging against stronger opposition, others fading.
Wilson, after backing off in form a little in SAU, has really excelled, Vunivalu looks the goods, JOC (James O'Connor) and TT both took a couple of games to adjust, but now are up with the pace.
In the Brumbies, Valetino, who I have always questioned, has really stepped up and should be a lock for test 6. I think Banks has also cemented his spot at 15. Conversely, I don't think the front row have done themselves any favours.
At the Force, Tom Robbo has really stepped up. While I'm still a Slipper fan, could Robbo be a bolter for LHP? Fergus L-W has also been good, I would have him in the squad but I don't think he makes the 23.
The Rebels have been, IMO, the worst of the Aus sides in TT and no-one much has advanced their test hopes, with the possible exception of Uelese.
At my Tahs, clearly the weakest side in SRAU and, statistically at least, the worst Tahs side ever, I don't think they've been that far behind the other Aus sides in TT. For mine Bell, Gordon and Perese have all stood up. Bell and Gordon I think have realistic chances of bench spots, and if you were to select Paisami at 12 rather then 13, I think Perese is in a genuine contest with Ikatau for test 13.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Been some interesting developments in TT, a few players emerging against stronger opposition, others fading.
Wilson, after backing off in form a little in SAU, has really excelled, Vunivalu looks the goods, JOC (James O'Connor) and TT both took a couple of games to adjust, but now are up with the pace.
In the Brumbies, Valetino, who I have always questioned, has really stepped up and should be a lock for test 6. I think Banks has also cemented his spot at 15. Conversely, I don't think the front row have done themselves any favours.
At the Force, Tom Robbo has really stepped up. While I'm still a Slipper fan, could Robbo be a bolter for LHP? Fergus L-W has also been good, I would have him in the squad but I don't think he makes the 23.
The Rebels have been, IMO, the worst of the Aus sides in TT and no-one much has advanced their test hopes, with the possible exception of Uelese.
At my Tahs, clearly the weakest side in SRAU and, statistically at least, the worst Tahs side ever, I don't think they've been that far behind the other Aus sides in TT. For mine Bell, Gordon and Perese have all stood up. Bell and Gordon I think have realistic chances of bench spots, and if you were to select Paisami at 12 rather then 13, I think Perese is in a genuine contest with Ikatau for test 13.

Trevor Hosea has been brilliant. I still don't see the Uelese love.

I think Daugunu is the most complete package of skills of any winger in Australia. Brilliant finisher, incredible attacker, technically the best tackler, work at the ruck is unmatched. Still causes a few heart aches discipline-wise, but he's such a great player I can wear that.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

I think Daugunu is the most complete package of skills of any winger in Australia. Brilliant finisher, incredible attacker, technically the best tackler, work at the ruck is unmatched. Still causes a few heart aches discipline-wise, but he's such a great player I can wear that.
Watch Uelese’s performance last week. Nailed all his throws, made metres post contact and pilfered the ball three times.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
BPA and Uelese the hookers at this point.
Agree that Wilson and Valentini are locks at 8 and 6 and Hooper at 7.

A Paisami/Perese centre pairing is pretty tasty and almost impossible to leave out Vunivalu.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Vunivalu is definitely in for me. He's obviously rough around the edges given his lack of experience but everything about him screams star athlete. Something we don't have much of atm.

Might be better served playing him at 11 for the Wallabies though. Maybe rotate him in for MK during the France tour to start.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

I rate Daugunu highly, pound for pound he and Koroibete are ridiculously strong.
I think Dagunua biggest issue in 2021 has been his error rate, it’s just sitting a bit too high for a test winger. But you can see his game continually improving, especially the technical areas around the ruck.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
BPA and Uelese the hookers at this point.
Agree that Wilson and Valentini are locks at 8 and 6 and Hooper at 7.

A Paisami/Perese centre pairing is pretty tasty and almost impossible to leave out Vunivalu.

I don’t think any hooker discussion can exclude Feleti Kaitu'u, he has had an extremely strong season and was IMO the most consistent of the hookers.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
From a reds point of view Thor, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Wilson,JOC (James O'Connor) are walk up starts, Paisami, Vunivalu, Daugunu, should go close. Mcreeight to bench, good to see Tate back to his best form as he was slipping behind Gordon, who is a standout for the Waratahs. If Gordon gets the bench spot I hope they don’t make him continually box kick as he has so much more to offer. It’s great having 3 quality halfbacks to choose from, unlike our lack of depth at 15.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
From a reds point of view Thor, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Wilson,JOC (James O'Connor) are walk up starts, Paisami, Vunivalu, Daugunu, should go close. Mcreeight to bench, good to see Tate back to his best form as he was slipping behind Gordon, who is a standout for the Waratahs. If Gordon gets the bench spot I hope they don’t make him continually box kick as he has so much more to offer. It’s great having 3 quality halfbacks to choose from, unlike our lack of depth at 15.

Doubt we'll be carrying a 7 on our bench.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Thing that impressed me last night was how often both Vunivalu and Daugunu “popped up” at the right time in attack off their respective wings. One of the commentators mentioned during the game that he was having trouble working out which winger was playing on what wing , they just seemed to be everywhere.

That’s a big improvement, especially for Vunivalu , from where he was at the start of the season. Both of them attract the attention of defenders to the point that their decoy runs become just as important as when they get the ball.

Regarding Perese , big fan of him with ball in hand and in contact , less so with his defence and work off the ball. A Paisami / Perese centre combination would be a very exciting attacking option , but possibly a concern defensively.

Paisami seems to prefer 13 and he’s in good form there.