• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Definitely getting rid of the ball - but call that..passing? Can he actualyl execute a spiral pass i wonder

In most of the situations the type of pass he threw was exactly what was needed. Floating it up and giving the support runner time to run onto it.

Throwing a faster, spiral pass in those situations reduces the margin for error significantly.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Definitely getting rid of the ball - but call that..passing? Can he actualyl execute a spiral pass i wonder
Sure it's not perfect, but to me they seem well enough timed, not thrown to nobody or lost in contact, or taken to ground (the least worst option of the three - at least that retains possession)

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Bit more detail here:

Good to see the effort that's being put into international relations, it was traditionally a strength of the game here but really fell off after O'Neill. Also it sounds like an excellent lunch, I've had canard au sang before but I never realised that rabbit/hare variants were a thing:
“Guillaume Brahimi organised one of the most memorable lunches ever in Paris as Kearnsie and I did a quick dash to France to catch up with Bernard Laporte, who has a great heart for rugby in Australia and wants to support us.”
Nonetheless, the hare and hare blood gravy that the duo enjoyed as part of a five-course meal last November was an important moment of relationship building.

As an aside it's been good to see an increase in rugby coverage from foxsports online recently, and significantly it's been much more neutral to positive.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
THe bloke I would like to see at 15 is JOC (James O'Connor). He has the boot, the positional game and the experience. He was excellent under the high ball last year and could be a second playmaker from the back alongside Cooper.
JOC (James O'Connor) is not a 10 but he could be the answer at 15. Pity Mack Mason is no longer an option. He is looking very good for Ireland in the back 3.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
THe bloke I would like to see at 15 is JOC (James O'Connor). He has the boot, the positional game and the experience. He was excellent under the high ball last year and could be a second playmaker from the back alongside Cooper.
JOC (James O'Connor) is not a 10 but he could be the answer at 15. Pity Mack Mason is no longer an option. He is looking very good for Ireland in the back 3.

I would, without hesitation, travel with Jock Campbell at 15 before JOC (James O'Connor). And I'm not surprised that Jock isn't (yet) being taken seriously.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Got to say JOC (James O'Connor) keeps playing the sort of game he played with the reds last night he is a guaranteed starter at 10 at Wallabies. Superb display at 10 of showing how to control the tempo and feeding / setting up players for great attacking options / breaks.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Got to say JOC (James O'Connor) keeps playing the sort of game he played with the reds last night he is a guaranteed starter at 10 at Wallabies. Superb display at 10 of showing how to control the tempo and feeding / setting up players for great attacking options / breaks.
Only if he can continue with the consistency at the level of last night. Two bad games and one good doesn’t meet my selection on any basis. I would still prefer to lock in QC (Quade Cooper) at flyhalf and Kerevi at 12. I’d rather wait until the end of the season and pick the 22 and developing flyhalf at that time. After three rounds we are up and down like a yo-yo with who could wear the 10/22 green and gold.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I thought JOC (James O'Connor) was good last week too given the lack of ball, and was instrumental in the Reds getting home.

Even more so after he revealed the game plan last night.

But agree that we need to see him play consistently like he did last night and then take that to test level.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Only if he can continue with the consistency at the level of last night. Two bad games and one good doesn’t meet my selection on any basis. I would still prefer to lock in QC (Quade Cooper) at flyhalf and Kerevi at 12. I’d rather wait until the end of the season and pick the 22 and developing flyhalf at that time. After three rounds we are up and down like a yo-yo with who could wear the 10/22 green and gold.
Personally I'd like to see Kerevi alongside JOC (James O'Connor) to make an informed decision on that one, the wheels turned in unison with QC (Quade Cooper)/SK as the pairing but they fell off pretty quickly when the Japs blindsided RA re Kerevi and then QC (Quade Cooper).

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Personally I'd like to see Kerevi alongside JOC (James O'Connor) to make an informed decision on that one, the wheels turned in unison with QC (Quade Cooper)/SK as the pairing but they fell off pretty quickly when the Japs blindsided RA re Kerevi and then QC (Quade Cooper).
You could put any flyhalf with Kerevi and a primo forward pack and they would look the goods.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
You could put any flyhalf with Kerevi and a primo forward pack and they would look the goods.
That’s kind of my point - I can’t remember what prompted the realisation, but I definitely remember talk on here that perhaps Kerevi was making QC (Quade Cooper) look better than he actually was. That said it was likely that they clicked as a unit, however JOC (James O'Connor) hasn’t had the opportunity yet with SK, that’s all I’m getting at.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
He was also good in tahs vs reds game so two good games in a row. But I agree with your point which is why I said if keep playing this sort of game / standard.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
It’s always about the interchangeable.IMO Lolesio and JOC (James O'Connor) should be playing better and more consistent footy because they have got more time to make the plays because of the team around them. More so against the AU teams. You switch them into the Rebels and let’s see the stats on that.
Same with the halfback, if your forwards are hard and fast at the ruck, the quality of play game of your halfback improves. Powell at the Brumbies looked like a completely different player to now.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m really unsure on what the selectors should do with Nick Frost for the English series.

On current form I would absolutely have him in the squad. Even allowing for the fact we haven’t played the Kiwi teams yet he has been in very impressive form.

On the flip side we already have a situation where we are potentially going to parachute in an OS lock. We really need as many local guys in the squad as possible to build the depth in that position.

On balance I think I would include him, along with Rodda, Phillip & Swain. If Arnold is also available it does become an issue because I don’t know that you can include 5 locks in your squad and you definitely want to include Arnold as much as possible if the intent is to take him to the WC. It really is a shame he’s chosen to go OS and maybe that is an indication of where his priorities lie and that in itself might guide the decision.

I would suggest him as a possible option for 6, and he still might be, but with the form of Wilson, Harris, Uru & Valetini, plus Leota & Swinton still to come back into the mix and all of them signed in Australia i again don’t think you can push him in front of those guys.

I also wonder if Samu’s bench spot might come under fire. Yes, he offers a versatility none of those guys do but Hooper is only ever coming off if he’s injured and, if he does, playing with a backrow of any of the combination of those guys above, even if not as well balance, I still think that would be an acceptable worst case given that the scenario most weeks will be it is your 6 or 8 coming off. Not discounting him - I rate Samu - but he wouldn’t be in my top 4 options for 6 or 8 at the moment. How far does versatility take you?

Of course that could all change over the second half of the comp. especially with a young guy like Harris who might have trouble keeping his form.

Last edited:

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I’m really unsure on what the selectors should do with Nick Frost for the English series.

On current form I would absolutely have him in the squad. Even allowing for the fact we haven’t played the Kiwi teams yet he has been in very impressive form.

On the flip side we already have a situation where we are potentially going to parachute in an OS lock. We really need as many local guys in the squad as possible to build the depth in that position.

On balance I think I would include him, along with Rodda, Phillip & Swain. If Arnold is also available it does become an issue because I don’t know that you can include 5 locks in your squad and you definitely want to include Arnold as much as possible if the intent is to take him to the WC. It really is a shame he’s chosen to go OS and maybe that is an indication of where his priorities lie and that in itself might guide the decision.

I would suggest him as a possible option for 6, and he still might be, but with the form of Wilson, Harris, Uru & Valetini, plus Leota & Swinton still to come back into the mix and all of them signed in Australia i again don’t think you can push him in front of those guys.

I also wonder if Sami’s bench spot might come under fire. Yes, he offers a versatility none of those guys do but Hooper is only ever coming off if he’s injured and, if he does, playing with a backrow of any of the combination of those guys above, even if not as well balance, I still think that would be an acceptable worst case given that the scenario most weeks will be it is your 6 or 8 coming off. Not discounting him - I rate Samu - but he wouldn’t be in my top 4 options for 6 or 8 at the moment. How far does versatility take you?

Of course that could all change over the second half of the comp. especially with a young guy like Harris who might have trouble keeping his form.
I don't know what the deal is with Frost.. his playing so well at the moment has all the skill and is a massive unit even for a lock.

I would call him a real chance for the world cup if he stuck around, his only getting better.. such a Shame his on the bounce again..

May end up playing for Japan .