• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Rugby Australia didn't do shit. Kerevi is a big boy who made his own decisions.

Could Hooper play Sevens like Samu? The answer is no. Cause he signed a contract with RA and he has to do everything that they say. He plays half of the Super Rugby season and has to do every advertisement and go to every Media Press Conference.

20220802-084806.jpg

Give Kerevi a similar contract and that what's gonna happen. So yes, is the ARU fault. Cut the payment of other players less importants than him. They talk in Media about signing NRL superstars, first step, secure your own values then think about the next Johnathan Thurston that you can't afford

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Could Hooper play Sevens like Samu? The answer is no. Cause he signed a contract with Rugby Australia and he has to do everything that they say. He plays half of the Super Rugby season and has to do every advertisement and go to every Media Press Conference.

20220802-084806.jpg

Give Kerevi a similar contract and that what's gonna happen. So yes, is the ARU fault. Cut the payment of other players lees important than him, they talk in Media about signing NRL superstars, first step, secure your own values then think about the next Johnathan Thurston that you can't afford
They offered him one and Suntory offered a lot more. I'm not sure if you've been paying any fucken attention for the last 10 years but we are poor.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
They offered him one and Suntory offered a lot more. I'm not sure if you've been paying any fucken attention for the last 10 years but we are poor.
At the same time they are paying a good contract to Vunivalu, the 4th or 5th option at the wing. At the same time, all the top locks are playing overseas: Arnold, Coleman, Skelton. So yeah, the little money could be better invested and don't talk to the Media that you are looking the NRL pretty boys for the 2027

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Suntory is likely paying Kerevi, not 100k more than Rugby Australia would, but 400-500k more.
And Vunivalu is earning 900k per season according this article:

Could be the half, 400k per season, after the pandemic. I'm not sure

Don't forget the sabbaticals and also that Hooper and ABs superstars play half of the Super Rugby season, a good rest is attractive for any player

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I'll never be able to wrap my head around signing Vunivalu and then letting Koroibete go. The latter is a proven commodity, World XV player... just up his contract offer instead of taking a punt on someone supposed to replace him on possibly more coin??? Bizarre

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Being optimistic, Samu has played a lot of rugby over the last two to three seasons without a massive break. This injury should give him an opportunity to have a forced break and freshen him up before the RWC lead up games and the competition itself without rushing his return.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I know there are many people in these Rugby Communities going above and beyond to provide a place to play, but IMO Rugby Australia and NSWRU have not done enough for a prolonged amount of time to properly support them. I remember seeing Israel Folau list his Club as Sydney Uni and thinking wtf does that achieve. Is he going to play a Club game... No. Tell him he's going to be listed as a Two Blue of Emu and use his brand (at the time) for what it may be worth.

Credit to a guy like Polotu Nau who use to go put money behind the bar at the Two Blues and get behind them at any chance he got.

As for Subbies, who knows. I have a feeling it's dying a slow and very painful death due to many factors outside of Rugby's control.
Couldn’t agree more on Folau’s club team when he was playing being Sydney Uni! What a joke. Surely a kindergarten kid could tell you that if he was associated with Penrith or Parramatta it would help to attract kids to rugby.
Even , heaven forbid he actually played a club game!
Wasn‘t old Shore boy Bill Pulver in charge at the time…he was a connected fool.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Without wanting to sound like Marce (sorry Marce, you seem like a good bloke, but the Kerevi stuff is so dribbly),

Samu's injury and the performance of the 7s team might put to bed the 15s bloke being dropped into the 7s team for a while.

I know Reg made a comment in the 7s thread that some in-form 7s players rode the pine a bit too long in order to give guys like Kerevi and Marky Marky a run.

Re: Kerevi's injury, I have mentioned a few times that as a Reds supporter, when Kerevi left I was very worried. But when the Reds came back the following season and didn't have to play 'Kerevi Ball' they actually had a very fluid attack.

I think the Wallabies could end up finding some attacking spark without him (I know results last year don't support this). I still think Kerevi is our best attacking back and a real point of difference for the Wallabies, but if we manage to get some wins with a combination of Paisami/JOC (James O'Connor)/Ikitau/Simone/Hodge as the centre pairing, Samu might find himself on the outer a bit next year.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Without wanting to sound like Marce (sorry Marce, you seem like a good bloke, but the Kerevi stuff is so dribbly),

Samu's injury and the performance of the 7s team might put to bed the 15s bloke being dropped into the 7s team for a while.

I know Reg made a comment in the 7s thread that some in-form 7s players rode the pine a bit too long in order to give guys like Kerevi and Marky Marky a run.

Re: Kerevi's injury, I have mentioned a few times that as a Reds supporter, when Kerevi left I was very worried. But when the Reds came back the following season and didn't have to play 'Kerevi Ball' they actually had a very fluid attack.

I think the Wallabies could end up finding some attacking spark without him (I know results last year don't support this). I still think Kerevi is our best attacking back and a real point of difference for the Wallabies, but if we manage to get some wins with a combination of Paisami/JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)/Ikitau/Simone/Hodge as the centre pairing, Samu might find himself on the outer a bit next year.
Kerevi is (or was I suppose - ACLs change careers) the best 12 in the world and isn't the bosh merchant he was when he left the Reds.

So no - we need him fit for the RWC.

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
Couldn’t agree more on Folau’s club team when he was playing being Sydney Uni! What a joke. Surely a kindergarten kid could tell you that if he was associated with Penrith or Parramatta it would help to attract kids to rugby.
Even , heaven forbid he actually played a club game!
Wasn‘t old Shore boy Bill Pulver in charge at the time…he was a connected fool.
I believe that it was one aspect of the negotiations when the ARU signed Folau. Apparently Uni made the best offer. BTW, Pulver's son played for Easts.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I believe that it was one aspect of the negotiations when the ARU signed Folau. Apparently Uni made the best offer. BTW, Pulver's son played for Easts.
Although he played for Uni before he played for Easts. However you raise a good point that Folau was in a strong negotiating position and clearly wasn’t the sort of individual who was going to be told what to do.