• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
And if they have half a brain they will look closely as Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase). He is maturing into a very dangerous attacking option.
Don’t put too much weight on Shute Shield wambs- there have been countless players who have absolutely starred at Shute level and been very average in Super Rugby.

Mark will get a look in as soon as he’s shown some consistent form in Super Rugby- one off games against the Force don’t count.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
You’re right he's not quite there at present. But I reckon Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) is pretty close. It’s a pity he has to show his worth in the Shute Shield, but at least it’s finals. Another strong Super Rugby year and he should be in contention

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Great pick up, McKellar has certainly improved the maul already, which was prevalent in the Argies first test (I think 3 tries off mauls/line-outs).

Laurie should help with the breakdown work and more forward play.

Alex Ross (28)
With Randwick bowing out and Woodies winning, I think that might just about lock Donaldson in as the chosen young 10 to join the Wallabies camp.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Thats interesting. I has thought Laurie had ruled working for the Wallabies out.

I wonder if Dave had this lined up before Taylor was moved on (if, indeed, he was).

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Thats interesting. I has thought Laurie had ruled working for the Wallabies out.

I wonder if Dave had this lined up before Taylor was moved on (if, indeed, he was).

I remember an interview a year or two ago with Laurie, who stated he was always keen for the wallabies position but was never asked (by Cheika). Then he went on to say he thought he could do both the Brumbies job and Wallabies position at the same time since it's an assistance role and the Test window is so short. It sounded like that would be his preference and could be a likely scenario next year.
If he had to choose between the two, not sure what he would do, you'd imagine he would jump at the wallabies gig full-time.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I remember an interview a year or two ago with Laurie, who stated he was always keen for the wallabies position but was never asked (by Cheika). Then he went on to say he thought he could do both the Brumbies job and Wallabies position at the same time since it's an assistance role and the Test window is so short. It sounded like that would be his preference and could be a likely scenario next year.
If he had to choose between the two, not sure what he would do, you'd imagine he would jump at the wallabies gig full-time.

He was asked in 2017 when Ledesma left but didn't want to give up the Brumbies gig in order to do it.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
What the reason behind Donaldson being added only as a 'development player/training extra' and not an 'official squad member', I've seen it specifically spelled out like that and the point of difference made a few times in the media.

Does it mean Donaldson doesn't get payments for being part of the squad? On that, are all players who are in the squad given additional RA payments or is it only match fees?