• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Looking through the stats for the TRC, his stats for 'involvements' are comparable to Wrights's work off the wing.

What is obvious though is that Koroibete has an average work rate far superior to both Wright and Petaia and we're going to miss him on the NH tour.
Doesn't align with my, admittedly, parochial view, Adam. Care to share the stats?

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Kellaway took the right options both times, the extra pass is riskier imo. Just freakish not to get it down on the first attempt.
I can't understand how he took the right option in the first instance or that the extra pass is the riskier option. I get that we have struggled with skill execution but catch pass is the most basic of skills. There was a completely unmarked player yet he tried to score through contact with two defenders converging. Simple catch pass early with no pressure and we score, not that much risk. It was a terrible option, a selfish play. The second perhaps, with Petaia marked by BB and backpedaling you can condone.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Is it my imagination or do the other players not trust Petaia? It seems as a winger he gets fewer final passes thrown to him than any winger I can remember. I thought that Kellaway took a big risk in his second try but it paid off whilst Petaia was unmarked outside.
This is a good post.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
But that was consistent with Kellaway's non-try too. Wright outside him unmarked. Unfortunately, the outcome then wasn't as good as one later in the game. Looks to be more on Andrew Kellaway to me rather than indicative of any reluctance aimed specifically at Petaia. My concern about Jordan is that he doesn't seem to get himself involved in the game as much as other wingers do. Apart from one 10m run with the ball, he was anonymous in his time on the ground this test match. That seems to be consistent with him.
He’s been given pretty limited time on the field recently so it’s pretty tough to make that judgement.

Although some players are better starters and for various reasons are less likely to ‘inject‘ themselves.

Petaia was pretty good prior to his injury earlier in the year although he might be more suitable as just a starter and not bench player.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
My team for Eden Park (Considering injuries):

1. Sio
2. Porecki
3. AAA
4. Neville
5. Phillip
6. Wilson
7. Samu
8. Valetini
9. White (C)
10. Foley
11. Koro
12. Foketi
13. Ikitau (Hopefully fit)
14. Vunivalu
15. Kellaway
16. FF (Folau Fainga'a)
17. Bell
18. Thor (Pone if out)
19. Arnold (Frost if gone)
20. Holloway
21. McDermott
22. Paisami
23. Hodge

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

1. Sio
2. Porecki
3. AAA
4. Neville
5. Phillip
6. Wilson
7. Samu
8. Valetini
9. White (C)
10. Foley
11. Koro
12. Foketi
14. Vunivalu
15. Kellaway
16. FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a)
17. Bell
18. Thor (Pone if out)
20. Holloway
21. McDermott
22. Paisami
23. Hodge

Arnold is in japan, Samu to 6 McReight to 7 & Wilson as the finisher for me

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

9. White (C)

Loved his penalty kick. Nearly won us the game. But he's annoying the refs so much these days I feel it's working against us. I give White a rest and start Gordon again with Tate from the bench.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Doran's latest article on Fox Sports is insisting that Vunivalu starts the next Bled game.

Honestly, I think he would thrive outside Foley (assuming he plays a similar game) who's vision out wide was spot on last week.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Loved his penalty kick. Nearly won us the game. But he's annoying the refs so much these days I feel it's working against us. I give White a rest and start Gordon again with Tate from the bench.
His last 30 mins were outstanding (maybe just good), so much quicker to the base of the ruck and the ball out of there than Gordan... He will be there starting or off the bench.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
He’s been given pretty limited time on the field recently so it’s pretty tough to make that judgement.

Although some players are better starters and for various reasons are less likely to ‘inject‘ themselves.

Petaia was pretty good prior to his injury earlier in the year although he might be more suitable as just a starter and not bench player.
I was at the game when he debuted against the Brumbies - scored a try with his first touch of the ball, and I think may have scored two that game. He looked a world beater with as much or more potential than most. He has had a poor run with with injuries, but now some years later we are still hearing about his potential. He just is not delivering what he promised. And imo that applies to Super as well as tests. Time to really stand up and show what he can do or he still will not be getting much time at the RWC.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I was at the game when he debuted against the Brumbies - scored a try with his first touch of the ball, and I think may have scored two that game. He looked a world beater with as much or more potential than most. He has had a poor run with with injuries, but now some years later we are still hearing about his potential. He just is not delivering what he promised. And imo that applies to Super as well as tests. Time to really stand up and show what he can do or he still will not be getting much time at the RWC.

He is the same age as Lolesio, they’re both still the youngest backs in the squad and learning. Consistency comes with experience, fans get too wrapped up in this ‘potential’ and ‘X-factor’ concept IMO.

Im more concerned with the inconsistency of guys a few years older.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

1. Sio
2. Porecki
3. AAA
4. Neville
5. Phillip
6. Wilson
7. Samu
8. Valetini
9. White (C)
10. Foley
11. Koro
12. Foketi
14. Vunivalu
15. Kellaway
16. FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a)
17. Bell
18. Thor (Pone if out)
20. Holloway
21. McDermott
22. Paisami
23. Hodge
That would be my starting XV also. Is Neville fit? On the bench, I think McReight in place of Holloway (hard choice though), and Lolesio instead of Paisami. I know having Noah there will put pressure on the mid field if there are injuries, but imo he must either start or come off the bench every game he's fit between now and the RWC. In any case, he can play 12 so not all coverage would be lost.

I am happy for Foley to start again, but the Coaches need to design some tactics to cover his deficiencies. Kicking for line for example - Hodge when he's there, but someone with a longer boot like Ikitau must be practicing at training to take on this duty in game. In defence, Foley has to move up a bit quicker in the line so that with cover from his backrow there won't be the gaps he left there in the first Bledisloe this year. Even if he doesn't make every tackle he has to disrupt the running lines of Mo'aunga, the blind side winger and opposition backrowers so that our backrowers can fill the holes.

Arnold has returned to Japan. Frost it is, and that will be a positive for the Wallabies.