• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Some great lines from Eddie…

On Peter V’landys (the horse racing guy)’ comments that rugby is boring:

“I think he’s been probably sitting in TAB too much mate, I encourage him to get out of the TAB and go and watch some Super Rugby. I’ll invite him to a game, mate.”

On making rugby relevant in Australia?

“That’s the challenge, mate. And the challenge is that firstly, you’ve got to play good rugby. And playing good rugby is important and good rugby is different for everyone.

“If you come from Randwick your appreciation of rugby is that you want to move the ball quickly and play with an aggressive intent.

“If you come from Sydney Uni or Queensland Uni, or Brothers, that might mean a bit different to them.

“What we’ve got to develop is that Australian style of game that everyone buys into, which is a combination of quality set-piece, an aggressive attacking mindset and wanting to get the ball quickly when we don’t have it.

“If we can play some good rugby then people will want to watch us play, and if we win then we’ll be in a better position in the media so these 15 people we’ve got now will be 30 people, because all the rugby league journalists will want to be a part of it. We might even get, what’s his name, the horse guy into the media conference, V’landys (the horse racing guy).

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’ll wade in.

Yes - box kicking is important. But box kicking well is about both execution and decision making.

We kicked too much ball away at times this year and White was the chief culprit. He’s also inaccurate at times. Pretty sure Rennie said exactly that after one of the tests (although didn’t specifically name White). IMO White was superb in super rugby but patchy in tests. (Sensationally good for the Brumbies I thought). But I don’t care how good your catch-pass or box kick is if your decision making is poor. I’d guess that’s why Rennie was still trying to make his mind up over the 9 jersey.

Personally I think criticism of Tate’s box kicking is based on old data. IMO his kicking is fine now, at least in comparison to the other two. Still weaker than White’s but not hugely. He doesn’t kick as much - but why would he. Qld’s game plan isn’t based around his kicking, whereas White’s kicking is one of the cornerstones of the Brumbies. He’s also shown he is up to it at test level - most notably v the All Blacks in 21 where he was one of our best across the series. But his pass is still below par though and that will continue to hold him back if he doesn’t fix it.

I find Gordon enigmatic. So very good for NSW and it seems to me his fundamentals are solid when he plays for them. Seems to have a game suited to test rugby. Just can’t make it happen at tests. I know there are always guys who look good at Super level and can’t step up, but I don’t think he’s too far off the mark. His discipline was poor in the EOYT but one of the yellows came for being a bees dick offside chasing a line break (which, IIRC, he made a pretty good cover tackle to stop).

Part of the problem, IMO, is that all three have been excellent at super rugby so it is not necessarily going to be the best guide as to who should be test half.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Why does a 9 have to be able to kick?
Actually is the main feature for 9s at test level. If you see the top teams, all have a 9 who kicks the ball more than pass it: Faf de Klerk, Antoine Dupont, Gibson Park, Aaron Smith.

Sadly that's the main strategic of modern test rugby. Kick the ball from the base of ruck and pressure as fast as hell cause defenses are tough as titanium

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I present to you…

At least a decade’s worth of rugby halfback play.
Are u?
scrumhalf.jpg

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
That's an interesting take, and one which several wallabies have echoed in interviews over the last 5 years or so. You'd think getting repeatedly embarrassed everytime you step foot in new Zealand, having lower and lower win percentages against opposition and slipping down the rankings would be the kind of motivation that pushes a professional athlete.

But not for Australian rugby players - get picked to play.... Job done.
This attitude has been around for a while now

There is an acceptance of losing that isn't helped by low fan expectations that put zero accountability on the players

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I would be very surprised if Eddie wasn't still planning on heading to USA to coach them in the 2031 home world cup.

I mean allegedly that was the first offer tabled to Jones.

I don’t doubt he would have been given a few options by different teams/rugby bodies. USA rugby will need someone running their ship longer than a few years if they want to properly popularise the game before the RWC.

The rugby landscape in the USA is quite unique. Who knows, maybe they realised bringing in such a strong figure like Jones who didn’t have any connection to them was the wrong move. After all, RA seem to be pushing Jones was the right man for our job because he ‘knows the Australian way’.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Really hard to say. Weve all heard someone say they are a sleeping giant of Rugby which is just garbage for a lot of reasons from grassroots, coaching, money. The money will never be in the range of the big leagues in the US and even the money College athletes can earn now. There is definitely the chance if the MLR is supported and run properly that the US might end up as good as a Japan, Georgia and the Pacific Nations, but that is at best.

Don't know what Jones would be able to do if he solely takes the Eagles to a WC. Just sounds like a pay cheque to me. Don't know who's fronting it for him.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I present to you…

At least a decade’s worth of rugby halfback play.

I don’t think this is the gotcha moment you were hoping for…
I present back to you 11 years of 1st grade rugby in the UK, SA, NZ and Here, 25 years as a referee in Sydney, 4 years coaching and having watched most wallaby games in the last 45 years. So I guess my memory of how Jones went in 2001-4 needs more googling so that you can feel like a smart arse.
You remind me of a saying I occasionally use. Humanity I love it, it's just some humans I struggle with.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I’ll wade in.

Yes - box kicking is important. But box kicking well is about both execution and decision making.

We kicked too much ball away at times this year and White was the chief culprit. He’s also inaccurate at times. Pretty sure Rennie said exactly that after one of the tests (although didn’t specifically name White). IMO White was superb in super rugby but patchy in tests. (Sensationally good for the Brumbies I thought). But I don’t care how good your catch-pass or box kick is if your decision making is poor. I’d guess that’s why Rennie was still trying to make his mind up over the 9 jersey.

Personally I think criticism of Tate’s box kicking is based on old data. IMO his kicking is fine now, at least in comparison to the other two. Still weaker than White’s but not hugely. He doesn’t kick as much - but why would he. Qld’s game plan isn’t based around his kicking, whereas White’s kicking is one of the cornerstones of the Brumbies. He’s also shown he is up to it at test level - most notably v the All Blacks in 21 where he was one of our best across the series. But his pass is still below par though and that will continue to hold him back if he doesn’t fix it.

I find Gordon enigmatic. So very good for NSW and it seems to me his fundamentals are solid when he plays for them. Seems to have a game suited to test rugby. Just can’t make it happen at tests. I know there are always guys who look good at Super level and can’t step up, but I don’t think he’s too far off the mark. His discipline was poor in the EOYT but one of the yellows came for being a bees dick offside chasing a line break (which, IIRC, he made a pretty good cover tackle to stop).

Part of the problem, IMO, is that all three have been excellent at super rugby so it is not necessarily going to be the best guide as to who should be test half.
TSR, Agree with your assessment. We should pick either White or Tate and play them as a starter until someone better steps up or they lose form.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
For those looking for a break from the Eddie chat, there's a 2 and a half hour interview with Quade that just went up here:

Haven't listened to it all yet, but there were some great tidbits from the 2011 season shared as promos yesterday.

This really is fantastic. For those particular invested the 2011 Stormers and Bulls games are the Stan classics library.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Love this quote from Eddie the Eye. Particularly the bit I put in bold
"What we’ve got to develop is that Australian style of game that everyone buys into, which is a combination of quality set-piece, an aggressive attacking mindset and wanting to get the ball quickly when we don’t have it."

Ah! an aggressive and competent back row supported by the tight five. I need to hold back my criticism of him because, against all my instincts against the little gnome, I would love to see this.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I present back to you 11 years of 1st grade rugby in the UK, SA, NZ and Here, 25 years as a referee in Sydney, 4 years coaching and having watched most wallaby games in the last 45 years. So I guess my memory of how Jones went in 2001-4 needs more googling so that you can feel like a smart arse.
You remind me of a saying I occasionally use. Humanity I love it, it's just some humans I struggle with.

OK…

… but Jones was sacked at the end of 2005.

And I wasn't claiming I played halfback. Who would boast about that?

Last edited:

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I’ll wade in.

This is the area where I see the real difference with White in comparison to the others. He controls the tempo of a game much better. Rennie if you look at how he historically liked his teams (Chiefs, Glasgow etc..) to play was about attacking, heads up Rugby. White defintely leans a little more into the northern approach with his box kicking which may have aligned with Rennie's comments about kicking too much (though, I always felt those comments were more about our backs ping ponging the ball back). What Jones will want for this team remains to be seen.

I'll reiterate what I already said, I don't think our 9 situation is a bad problem to have. I hope they all continue to improve.

That's an interesting take, and one which several wallabies have echoed in interviews over the last 5 years or so. You'd think getting repeatedly embarrassed everytime you step foot in new Zealand, having lower and lower win percentages against opposition and slipping down the rankings would be the kind of motivation that pushes a professional athlete.

But not for Australian rugby players - get picked to play.... Job done.
I don't think you need a psychology degree to know that healthy competition for spots can only be a good thing.

Reactions: TSR

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
White is a gun, world class. Tate is on the rise. I suggest we play both with White starting mostly and organise someone other than Gordon to be the backup.
White is a very good footballer
No one that tackles as badly as Nic White can be considered world class IMO