• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think Eddie would have liked what he saw from Noah last night.

I firmly believe Quade is still the no.1 target. After this I think Noah and Donaldson are the next options.

I’m actually not too concerned about the Centres if Kerevi is fit. Foketi is more than capable of being the 2nd 12. Ikitau is a lock for 13 and it wouldn’t surprise me if Hodge looks like the back up for this spot with his current form and ability to cover other spots.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think Eddie would have liked what he saw from Noah last night.

I firmly believe Quade is still the no.1 target. After this I think Noah and Donaldson are the next options.

I’m actually not too concerned about the Centres if Kerevi is fit. Foketi is more than capable of being the 2nd 12. Ikitau is a lock for 13 and it wouldn’t surprise me if Hodge looks like the back up for this spot with his current form and ability to cover other spots.

I don't see any reason we would be writing off Edmed right now. The choices are limited. In that same vein, Carter Gordon has to be on the list if not topping it. Donaldson is a "Hail Mary" until he actually plays 10.

If things change, Quade being fit, playing and demonstrating he is ready, Donaldson moved to 10, then sure. Also, don't right off JOC (James O'Connor). He out-performed Lolo in my book last night.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
You’re right James O’Connor was fantastic last night. He also wouldn’t be a Test Rookie which we don’t have a lot of time this year prior to the WC.

I agree about not writing Edmed off. A lot of people are saying he hasn’t been up to it but if he played how he has been for the Rebels we’d be saying how steady he’s been. Tahs 10 jersey is hard because everyone wants to see the Harrison, Donaldson and even Bowen at some stage.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I’m surprised how little hype Andy Muirhead is getting, and that no one seems to think he might be an option.

He got bumped off once by Petaia last night but other than that was flawless and for 4-5 seasons now has been relentlessly excellent.
Fast, very strong, always seems to make the right decision, excellent discipline, an absolute pest at the breakdown and is always in the right place at the right time.

Him and Kellaway are so similar it’s odd that Muirhead doesn’t seem to get much attention. Other than being small (but I’d bet he’s bigger than Kellaway or at least identical) I can’t understand why he doesn’t get much hype.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I’m surprised how little hype Andy Muirhead is getting, and that no one seems to think he might be an option.

He got bumped off once by Petaia last night but other than that was flawless and for 4-5 seasons now has been relentlessly excellent.
Fast, very strong, always seems to make the right decision, excellent discipline, an absolute pest at the breakdown and is always in the right place at the right time.

Him and Kellaway are so similar it’s odd that Muirhead doesn’t seem to get much attention. Other than being small (but I’d bet he’s bigger than Kellaway or at least identical) I can’t understand why he doesn’t get much hype.

Interesting query BM. I haven't been a fan of Muirhead and I'm only begrudgingly starting to take him seriously. He smoked his opposite in Round 3. Where we are headed with wingers I don't think he plays small at all.

Smoking.

Enough to make my selection in TOTW. (Which is irritating to be honest.)

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
He’s been in squad but always just pipped by someone others. Koro, Wright, Kellaway, Daugunu and recently Mark N (Nawaqanitawase). Squads have also had Vunivalu in them due to his RA money no doubt.

He’s a great player and won’t let you down. I think he’s just a victim of seeing other ceilings as higher than his even if current performance is below what his is. Every game is a 7.5/10 no matter what

HogansHeros

Bob Loudon (25)
Agreed, he has been so good first 3 rounds.

So busy all game, not afraid to stick his head in a ruck, attacking or defending.

Certainly not lacking in contact

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
According to Wikepedia, Muirhead is 6 foot and 84kg, Kellaway is 6 Foot 1 and 106kg. Even if those figures are wrong, I think you'll find there's a lot more of Kellaway than there is of Muirhead. That's not knocking Muirhead, i think he is a consistently good footballer, but he's not very big.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)

I've been a Muirhead fan for a long. He's a quite reliable winger. I thought that he would has picked some seasons ago, he suffers from being a winger in Oceania.

Too many PI's wingers around. The influence of NZ rugby and NRL is too much so people is always looking for the next Jonah Lomu, included myself. Everybody got excited when heard that Vunivalu swatch to Union, a big and fast winger always gets all the attention

At the wing you need a super skill to impress the Oceanian. You have to be big, fast or a freak athlete like Israel Folau. Muirhead is not big, is not the fastest man in the competition and is not a freaky but he's quite reliable and can do the work. He's like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) with less fortunate, an underrated player. In Europe he would be like Hansen or James Lowe, a starter in any 6 nations side.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
he has traditionally been a poor tackler though. Missed tackle stats through the years have been very high

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
I don't see any reason we would be writing off Edmed right now. The choices are limited. In that same vein, Carter Gordon has to be on the list if not topping it. Donaldson is a "Hail Mary" until he actually plays 10.

If things change, Quade being fit, playing and demonstrating he is ready, Donaldson moved to 10, then sure. Also, don't right off JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor). He out-performed Lolo in my book last night.
Agree, Carter Gordon at present the best of the bunch and good luck to him. He seems, to be able to get the back line moving better than any other of the young fly halves this year and is also a threat to the line. Edmed has lacked both of these attributes this year. Much like Lolesio doesn't really threaten the line that much for the Wallabies and Brumbies. Donalson, I have always liked and thought he needed more time in the saddle. Just a shame given the Beale situation as I suspect he would of been first choice fly-half for the Tahs. O'Conner when he came on looked the fittest and slickest I have seen him for a long time. Hopefully he gets his chance with the Reds as Lynagh needs to bide his time from the bench at this stage though Lynagh is definitely one to watch for the future.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I thought Tom Wright was pretty good on the EOYT. Seemed to have really roped in his mistake rate while still being a strong attacking threat.
Yeah I think so too. I still think you are asking him to make too many decisions from fullback though. Much better on the wing.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
even this year he's barely at 70%.

I know impartiality is tough for Brumby fans but not everyone is out to get you. Chill.

Impartiality is fine with me, that’s the only way accurate information is compiled.

I’m curious where those stats came from though, (in the interests of impartiality) as to my rookie eyes he has been a strong defender.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
From ESPN: (Oh Brumbies v Reds)
Muirhead with 6 tackles for 2 missed. Hey, it happens out wide.
Vunivalu with 2 tackles for 2 missed. Go figure.
Daugunu with 4 tackles for 4 missed. Hmm

My money here is with Muirhead. Tradition or otherwise, he did fine in the last game.

Have to admit that Muirhead is not close to my favourite winger, but he did ok on the weekend.