• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
They are also a reflection of their pathway system, the quality of their club S&C, the level of overall depth in rugby, the cooperation in Super Rugby to adopting a national framework, the ability of Australian rugby to successfully bring through consistent talent in key positions (like 10 where Rennie had a choice between seasoned vets who couldn’t stay injury free or novices who had played 1-2 yrs of pro senior rugby) and the ability of the Australian rugby set up to provide the level of high level rugby to develop talent.

Not saying Rennie shouldn’t have done better but whether we are talking Jones or Rennie putting such a big emphasis on the head coach without any reflection of the peripheral issues is madness.
Good post TSR

Reactions: TSR

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The results are why he was sacked but if you don't think the team improved under him you did not see what I saw. You need to look beyond the scoreboard and see more than what is directly in front of you.
looking beyond the scoreboard I’m not convinced that the wallabies program improved from year 1 to year 3 under Rennie.

Player management, S&C and injury management all seemingly worsened with a annus horribilis 2022.

For me a key indicator is the staff stability, and the churn through 2022 was indicative of a bit of desperation; two highly regarded assistant coaches(Taylor & Wisemantel) resigned and the two senior S&C in the Wallabies (John Pyror and Dean Benton) both resigned also. They were 4 of Rennies key staff who all departed within an 6month period.

Reactions: dru

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sounds a little bit like Stuart Lancaster's England post RWC15.
Very much so Derpus and I'm guessing that is one of the reasons Eddie jumped at the offer. A chance to wind up his career with a success. And a big one if he can turn this ship around.

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
looking beyond the scoreboard I’m not convinced that the wallabies program improved from year 1 to year 3 under Rennie.

Player management, S&C and injury management all seemingly worsened with a annus horribilis 2022.

For me a key indicator is the staff stability, and the churn through 2022 was indicative of a bit of desperation; two highly regarded assistant coaches(Taylor & Wisemantel) resigned and the two senior S&C in the Wallabies (John Pyror and Dean Benton) both resigned also. They were 4 of Rennies key staff who all departed within an 6month period.
wasn't that assumed to be because Eddie was going to take over?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Let's all plan for visits to a shrink if it goes tit's up and drink champagne if it turns out well. Can't wait to see how it turns out as I am not invested in Eddie saving us....

Reactions: TSR

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

It hasn't improved from cheika

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
wasn't that assumed to be because Eddie was going to take over?
Pryor, Benton, Taylor and Wisemantle all resigned or announced their intention to resign in the 6months period before Rennie was sacked.

Wisemantle has said he will come back in a consultancy role under Eddie.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The results are why he was sacked but if you don't think the team improved under him you did not see what I saw. You need to look beyond the scoreboard and see more than what is directly in front of you.
The players individually have gotten better. The team hasn't.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I saw them lose by 40 points to Argentina last year. But sure, much improved team…

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Eddie went 10-1 against Australia over an 8 year period. Pretty good argument he'd be the national coach who would know the most about the Wallabies strengths and weaknesses (regardless of his nationality) currently.
But results dont matter apparently. Supposedly your team gets better the more they lose

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, who’d have though full contact training sessions all week would lead to more injuries. Poor Dave
Genuine question - do you know that as fact?

I’ve heard plenty of speculation about Rennie’s training but I think that’s the first I’ve heard that it was full contact all week. Certainly I’ve hear a lot of the sessions were physically torrid - but my understanding was that it was more high tempo/high intensity in terms of training load. I don’t recall any comments that the contact has been excessive (not saying you’re wrong - I just haven’t heard that).

If true i agree it sounds nuts.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Genuine question - do you know that as fact?

I’ve heard plenty of speculation about Rennie’s training but I think that’s the first I’ve heard that it was full contact all week. Certainly I’ve hear a lot of the sessions were physically torrid - but my understanding was that it was more high tempo/high intensity in terms of training load. I don’t recall any comments that the contact has been excessive (not saying you’re wrong - I just haven’t heard that).

If true i agree it sounds nuts.
Can't be. They aren't allowed more than a certain amount of full contact training as part of the RUPA agreement thingo. I actually thought when I read it at the time that it was almost laughably small.