• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Harry Grant comes off after 2025 but currently on around $1m & the way he's going more for 2026 on wards but geez he'd be a handy replacement at 9

Have there been any league hookers in the modern era to successfully convert to rugby?

I actually think the things like ruck management, box kicking and ‘live rucks’ vs stationary would make it quite a hard position to transition into and still be considered world class. A lot more to it than just a good pass and quick on their toes.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Have there been any league hookers in the modern era to successfully convert to rugby?

I actually think the things like ruck management, box kicking and ‘live rucks’ vs stationary would make it quite a hard position to transition into and still be considered world class. A lot more to it than just a good pass and quick on their toes.
Yeah surely one of the hardest positions technically to transition, even the minor things like technique in how they pass the ball from the ruck/tackle is slightly different.
Great player though, a little energiser bunny.

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
- Suli not surprising in the top 40. Finished the season well and will compete with marky n for the final outside back spot
- perese has potential and Lucky
- uelese has potential but needs to stay on the field, and we have little hookers atm so jones wanting a Malcolm Marx style hooker
- Donaldson luckiest man alive / even he mentioned he wasn’t expecting a call up on form
- faesler come from nowhere but again bugger all strong hookers
- nonguurr abit of a surprise over talakai and pone but solid option
- Arnold and kemeny solid options but Arnold must be playing well to get over Neville
- Hooper Tom had done very little with little time
- gorden well deserved
- pietch played well but not expected
I expect many of these guys will be the ones missing the Final Cut when reduced to 33

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I don't agree with that at all. Tighthead is about being stable and pure power a lot of the time. A tighthead needs to be able to handle the front row bastardry that is the standard of all looseheads. I was primarily a Loosehead when I played and my role was to give the opposition Tighty a touch up using every dirty little trick I could think of and work with the somewhat intellectually deficient Hooker to make his life a little unbearable. Having a certain freedom of movement not offered to a tighthead means you have to play somewhat differently at scrum time.
What dont you agree with? I never said they are the same, I’m saying loose head is a much simpler role

forgetting the cliché about dirty tricks, just get your head under the tight heads chest and there’s not much he can do from there except collapse the scrum. The tight heads job is to get him cheek to cheek, bring his side low and anchor the scrum

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
- Suli not surprising in the top 40. Finished the season well and will compete with marky n for the final outside back spot
- uelese has potential but needs to stay on the field, and we have little hookers atm so jones wanting a Malcolm Marx style hooker
- Donaldson luckiest man alive / even he mentioned he wasn’t expecting a call up on form
- Arnold and kemeny solid options but Arnold must be playing well to get over Neville
- gorden well deserved
I expect many of these guys will be the ones missing the Final Cut when reduced to 33
Does Uelese have potential? Aside from being big he doesn’t seem to do anything well

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
If we need any NRL player, it's Cam Murray. Played 12 for Newington 1sts and believe he'd transition really well back to rugby. Great role model too...

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Can someone start a ‘who are eddie’s leaguies’ thread or something. It’s a topic I am interested in but it’s not particularly relevant to this one.
It's not even slightly relevant! It proves that many union watchers know more about league than they do about union. therein lies our their love for fat men running 30m.

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
- gorden well deserved
Your post could apply to 60% of Wallabies and that is what interests me - can Eddie take the flour, eggs and water we have and bake a bloody cake!

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
Had a good yr & yes can throw straight like DP can but he comes with the same knocks that are on DP. not huge in contact, not a world class in the scrum & doesn't really get over the ball much.

Yes I know not everyone can be Malcolm Marx/Codie Taylor/Sheehan/Jamie George but to win a rwc you have to have someone that of that ilk
I would be interested to see how he scrums with two top level props and world class locks alongside him, areas in which the Reds were sadly lacking this year.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I would be interested to see how he scrums with two top level props and world class locks alongside him, areas in which the Reds were sadly lacking this year.
Is he? Again this seems like more of a theory than something he’s actually demonstrated on the field

The brumbies forward pack certainly didn’t look underpowered with Longergan at hooker
Both your points work together. Lonergan when scrummaging with good Props (Slipper, AAA, Schoup, Van Nek) goes just fine and I think adds a point of difference to the attack. Not as if the pack weight goes down when you think Skelton is likely to have his massive rig in there.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Following Uncle Eddies statement around Kemeny and Utility players Ball Carrier Rugby on Instagram put up a post with players that have been in both the Forward and Backs (recent history as I reckon it happened more way back)

Sam Burgess - Backrow & Centre
Richie Vernon - Backrow & Centre
Pierre Spies - Backrow & Wing
Radike Samo - Backrow, Lock, Wing
Mauro Bergamasco - Backrow & Halfback

I know George Smith had a go at Halfback and Centre in Club games but I don't recall ever as an international. Any others?

I really do think it's an interesting idea and could help his RWC chances if Eddie is being serious.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Both your points work together. Lonergan when scrummaging with good Props (Slipper, AAA, Schoup, Van Nek) goes just fine and I think adds a point of difference to the attack. Not as if the pack weight goes down when you think Skelton is likely to have his massive rig in there.
Agreed - this may be a hot take, but in the modern game, I reckon a hooker's ability to throw accurately is far more impactful than their scrummaging (if they've got a reasonable pack around them).

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Is he? Again this seems like more of a theory than something he’s actually demonstrated on the field

The brumbies forward pack certainly didn’t look underpowered with Longergan at hooker
Do we know that size had anything to do with LL's exclusion? Maybe Eddie doesn't rate him in other areas as highly as you do as well.

On a similar note, I was thinking last night that it's a bit of a turnaround for the Brumbies from having all 3 hookers plus the development one in the Wallabies squad, to having none. Just an observation, I'm not being critical.

Last edited: