• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Out lack of hooker option is the only part of the squad no one seems to know

- was hoping Latu would come back in 2019 form but he unfortunately wasn’t, he is ready to get his pay day again in France
- porecki most solid - but was disappointing last end of year tour getting run over and penalaties against him and miss throws
- Lonergan is good but small, surprises he missed the main squad
- faseler come from no where but looks solid
- Asiata and Nasser haven’t improved on last year
- I think billy pollard his a big chance in the next few years, very mobile like a Taylor
- Fainga'a very inconsient
- kautia has gone backward
- uelese is a man mountain and does has potential, just needs to stay fit, focus and get confidence hence why Eddie has got him in there
- one surprise I though mafi would make the squad but missed selection in both, he would be neally one of my first picks

we really need to stop looking at what nz do as the answer for ever position. Taylor might slip into the top 5 in WR (World Rugby) but if Coles wasn’t such a knob no one would talk about him.

All the best are strong in contact, good in the scrum, get over the ball, don’t miss tackles. Yes we need to throw straight but it’s 1 part of a much wider skill aspect a 2 needs to have.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
For the Further-train on squad. Is there any chance of any of them playing any matches in the Rugby Championship games? Or is that door closed. Would have liked to have seen Flook have a go, i definitely think Jock Campbell should have made the squad due to his recent game performances (and he adds a lot more than Donaldson and Vunivalu)

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
For the Further-train on squad. Is there any chance of any of them playing any matches in the Rugby Championship games? Or is that door closed. Would have liked to have seen Flook have a go, i definitely think Jock Campbell should have made the squad due to his recent game performances (and he adds a lot more than Donaldson and Vunivalu)

Whether those two specifically will get a go you couldn't say, although I would suggest it'd be unlikely if despite injury clouds to a number of pencilled in backs (Kellaway, Petaia and Kerevi) those two couldn't crack the primary squad.

In a more general sense, looking at Eddie's history and the nature of the selected squad ("best 23" is all there, but lots of expected squad players missing) I think it would be realistic to expect a reshuffle of the Wallaby squad and the train on squad following week 2 of the RC. The former will be preparing for the South Africa and Argentina Tests, the latter for Australia A fixture against Tonga, after which some faces potentially swap out or drop out: e.g. I could see one of Talakai/Faumasilli being brought into the primary squad having been penciled in as squad members but left out to pick up some gametime as the 3rd string option, with a handful of faces like Canham and Tuttle (whom are not in realistic international selection frame) departing camp entirely.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Lots of Hooker chat.

Coming into this year I thought/hoped it would be something like Latu, Mafi and BPA. With Pollard or Nasser the smokeys.

Latu never appeared to turn up? Does anyone know what happened there? Seemed relegated to club pretty early in the season after some solid performances.

Mafi unfortunately went backwards at the Rebels. Again had high hopes for him. Maybe he should have stuck it our under Thorne another year to give himself the best chance of RWC selection.

What is the latest on BPA injury? I had heard somewhere that he is due back around June/early July. Perhaps he is still a chance, who knows with old Eddie.

Nasser again suffered from bad injuries. Bloke can't catch a break. Pollard also injured I believe?

Ulese could be replaced by FF (Folau Fainga'a) pretty quickly if he doesn't perform at training and in his opportunities. I think FF (Folau Fainga'a) has a lot to offer just can't seem to get it all together at the same time.

Poreki is bang average. I'd take Faessler any day over him.

LL is a good player. He looks like he put some Kgs on this year. I think if we were playing a big 7 he would have a higher chance of selection with Eddie.

Like most people here say, hooker and fullback are our glaring weaknesses. We need someone to step up and take the opportunity with both hands.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
we really need to stop looking at what nz do as the answer for ever position. Taylor might slip into the top 5 in WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) but if Coles wasn’t such a knob no one would talk about him.
Coles is absolutely a knob, but he's also been the best hooker of the past 20 years. He is a long way from his peak these days though, so most of what's left to his game is being a knob.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
If he was fit and Eddie wanted him he'd be in the squad. OS picks were always going to be as many as we need to fill essential spots/best team available IMO. Number was a guide this year

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Maddocks had a lot of potential but he never showed it whilst in Aus unfortunately. We love to still pull on those memories with the OS guys
Disagree Ghost, I thought he showed a ton of potential but there were a lot of expectations put on him, and he stated that his lack of weight was an issue. I thought it was a tragedy when he left and due to the lack of a decent 15 to replace him, I am still of that opinion.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Maddocks had a lot of potential but he never showed it whilst in Aus unfortunately. We love to still pull on those memories with the OS guys
BTW Ghost, In terms of the players we have access to, the media have a bit to answer for. They overhype youngsters after a couple of flashy runs, then rip into them when they hit a bare patch that all players go through.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
That's what I'm saying. We all saw the potential of what he could do on a field at times but he seemed not prepared by the Tahs and Rebels for the rigors. Unfortunately some people have their reputation made and I think he's probably one of them unless he signs back in Aus and shows it.

Can't think of too many players that have left Aus not being a genuine Wallaby starter and have then been picked from OS in agreeance they are now up to it.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
That's what I'm saying. We all saw the potential of what he could do on a field at times but he seemed not prepared by the Tahs and Rebels for the rigors. Unfortunately some people have their reputation made and I think he's probably one of them unless he signs back in Aus and shows it.

Can't think of too many players that have left Aus not being a genuine Wallaby starter and have then been picked from OS in agreeance they are now up to it.
Agree, and that is our big problem. We cannot see their future value so we let another coach/club develop that ability, and then we pay top dollar to buy back what we had originally.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Agree, and that is our big problem. We cannot see their future value so we let another coach/club develop that ability, and then we pay top dollar to buy back what we had originally.

Who exactly? Is there really a substantial discount obtained from keeping a player here longer term? Players who stay locally and go from being up and coming players to key Wallabies also cost a huge amount more to retain.

Maddocks went overseas after a very poor season and a few injuries. The Tahs also reached their nadir in that season. I think he clearly needed a change of scenery.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Who exactly? Is there really a substantial discount obtained from keeping a player here longer term? Players who stay locally and go from being up and coming players to key Wallabies also cost a huge amount more to retain.

Maddocks went overseas after a very poor season and a few injuries. The Tahs also reached their nadir in that season. I think he clearly needed a change of scenery.
Maddocks looked better at the Rebels then Tahs, not many players who have left the Rebels and gone backwards at one of the big 3 Aus clubs in the same fashion he did. Think it was the nail in his own coffin regarding his attitude when it was allowed to happen.

Regards Rebels line out, not surprised it was the worst of the Oz teams. Mafi/Uelese throwing to one rookie lock, and one returning from a year of injuries most weeks, some even worse for experience then that.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Even with Samu had he played any Super Rugby prior to going overseas?

He had a clean slate when he was signed to come to the Brumbies from NZ.

Yeah Richie Arnold is probably a good shout. Lets see how he goes with the Wallabies to prove it.