• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not really surprised but when we got dominated across the park it's kind of bizarre seeing how much of the focus is on Michael Hooper being the problem. He did get bullied in contact but he was also one of the few forwards who was putting himself in those positions to try and make a tackle. It doesn't matter who our 7 is, they're not going to flip the scales on the entire forward pack getting completely bossed.

When Bell is available there's probably more likelihood that Slipper ends up on the bench in my view. Our front row (particularly Ala'alatoa got absolutely bullied).

Uelese, T Hooper (whether through injury or otherwise) and Vunivalu are unlikely to be in the 23 again any time soon. It felt like they were selections to see whether they could leapfrog others into the eventual RWC squad and the answer seemed a pretty emphatic no.

Kerevi has to come back into 12.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Wallabies have won about 35-40% of games since 2015 RWC, miracles won't happy straight away with Eddie. One of his strengths has always been deflecting heat off the team onto himself, give him 3-4 games to start getting his team together and then become critical.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Kellaway & Petaia are better Rugby players as of right now and that's what we need.

Bang on. Frost offers a lot in attack and his athleticism is great but he's not imposing at all in defence or at ruck time. This is where Holloway can get into the team. He throws his body around in the tight stuff.
Agreed Holloway has to play 6 this week. Would like to see Wilkin get a run too.

1. Slipper
2. Porecki
3. AAA
4. Frost
5. Skelton
6. Holloway
7. Wilkin
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Korobiete
12. Kerevi
13. Itikau
14. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase)
15. Kellaway

The bench, totally up to who is fit and ready, would love to see Belly and Tupou come on for 30min, Gleeson on the bench somewhere would be good and C.Gordon to get a good 30min if possible.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Argies coming off a bad home loss. They'll want to come out hard.

Wilkin is in the Aus A side to play Tonga. I say let him get through at least 60 mins there and show what he can bring. EJ (Eddie Jones) included Kemeny in the Wallaby squads so if he's going try him out this is probably the best chance.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Agreed Holloway has to play 6 this week. Would like to see Wilkin get a run too.

1. Slipper
2. Porecki
3. AAA
4. Frost
5. Skelton
6. Holloway
7. Wilkin McReight
8. Valetini
9. White McDermott
10. Cooper Gordon
11. Korobiete
12. Kerevi
13. Itikau
14. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase)
15. Kellaway

The bench, totally up to who is fit and ready, would love to see Belly and Tupou come on for 30min, Gleeson on the bench somewhere would be good and C.Gordon to get a good 30min if possible.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don’t think Vunivalu has lost his chance to wear the wallabies green and gold ever again but it will be a tough road back…

Don’t see him featuring in the TRC but I could totally see Eddie picking him for RWC still.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I don't think getting beaten by Italy is even close to doing 'reasonably well'. I thought Rennie deserved to take us through to the RWC this year but if Eddie was their man then I can also see why Rugby Australia needed to pounce when they did. Don't forget all Rennie's assistants had started to bail out as well, we weren't going to get results this year with Rennie in charge, and probably regardless of who is. It's all about 2025 and 2027.
Losing the England series was the end for Rennie. The Italy result was the one that could justify the decision to the public.

There are whispers (admittedly off the record, but from many different sources) that things were not right in camp under him. The assistant exodus gives a hint but players were said to be unhappy as well.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
We need to move Hooper on now before it’s too late. It’s three months to the World Cup.
I've usually been a staunch Hooper supporter - but he really needs to find his form again. There was a glimmer in the Super Rugby Season, but he's not all there yet.

How long do we keep with a not 100% Hooper?

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Dont really see justification in subbing white off.... any half is going to struggle behind a losing pack. Mcdermott isnt going to change the world?

Reactions: dru

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Dont really see justification in subbing white off.... any half is going to struggle behind a losing pack. Mcdermott isnt going to change the world?
It's not dropping him, I am just working off Eddie's comments that a lot of the guys who started against the Boks would be rested/on the bench for this weekend's game. It's mostly about seeing what Gordon can do so start McDermott/Gordon with White/Cooper on the bench. It's an attempt at predicting what Eddie might do, which I admit is a fruitless exercise.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think we should make peace with the fact M Hooper is most likely going to the RWC.
Yeah, I agree. I probably see him bowing out after the RWC realistically. My positive side thinks he's been a good servant to Aus Rugby - let him finish off with one more RWC - he may well lift by then.

It's almost the same level of frustration I have with Dave Warner still being picked in the cricket (not trying to derail the thread here)

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
We were beaten because it was a second string team which seems to be constantly overlooked. Had we selected our strongest side we would have won in a canter. We nearly beat the two strongest sides in the world on that tour.
Stop this revisionist history. Rennie picked the team, and the team he picked and coached lost

he lost 4 out of 5 tests on the EOYT, and needed an all time comeback to pip a dreadful Welsh side who fired their coach straight after. Also lost 48-17 to Argentina last year

Whether or not Eddie is successful has nothing to do with Rennie's dismal tenure

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
This is bang on. Can't speak for him obviously but 15 years of top level Rugby in the back row and not being the biggest guy on the field will weather the body beyond what his age is. The last couple of years of McCaw he looked half busted as well. His motor is still there, you can see that but he's lost the edge and that ability for the big play like the driving tackle or line break of a couple years ago. Once that's gone we notice the lack of size and pilfer.
Pocock an obvious to everyone example, as well as being our best 7 for years who rarely played there.

I think we also do need at least 1 more big man starting. Frost and Hooper are big, but don't play big - can't have both start at once. This would be acceptable if we had a more physical starting front row and 7, but we don't.

Christ! How many big men do we need? Skelton is huge, Richie Arnold is over 2m and weighs 127kgs, Frost also over 2m and 120kgs and T. Hooper is just 1cm short of 2m and weighs 120kgs These guys are capable enough but they must be let off the leash, and the leash is what EJ (Eddie Jones) has placed over the breakdown and our issues with small props and hookers. Jones needs to forget the idea of staying out of the breakdown and get the boys (all of them) into the contest at the breakdown.
We also need to get our tackling, which has been an issue for a long time, aggressive, focused and effective. thus allowing the rest of the boys to compete for the ball. This letting the opposition have the ball and wait for an error was a crap tactic 20 years ago and it's crap now.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Are we again fiddling around the edges here. I also agree that Nonggorr wasn't up to it but would either of the other options had made a meaningful difference? Ala'alatoa got dished up in the scrum so realistically all our bench options probably would have too.

There's little debate that about 2/3 of this side is in our best 23 so largely aside from a bit of tinkering and some key players returning from injury, these are the players we need to perform a lot better if we want to be competitive.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Pocock an obvious to everyone example, as well as being our best 7 for years who rarely played there.

Christ! How many big men do we need? Skelton is huge, Richie Arnold is over 2m and weighs 127kgs, Frost also over 2m and 120kgs and T. Hooper is just 1cm short of 2m and weighs 120kgs These guys are capable enough but they must be let off the leash, and the leash is what EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) has placed over the breakdown and our issues with small props and hookers. Jones needs to forget the idea of staying out of the breakdown and get the boys (all of them) into the contest at the breakdown.
We also need to get our tackling, which has been an issue for a long time, aggressive, focused and effective. thus allowing the rest of the boys to compete for the ball. This letting the opposition have the ball and wait for an error was a crap tactic 20 years ago and it's crap now.
We need all this size to combat Deon Fourie