• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I have my fingers crossed Wright never plays for the Wallabies again which leaves our best fullback options as Petaia and Kellaway. I think Eddie might chuck Petaia into the 13 position when he's fit and give us a really aggressive centre pairing (the old, lets just score more points than them and tackling is optional approach).

That means Kellaway is left as our standalone best fullback option. If Joey is a chance of making the squad he would be brought in as back three cover I think, not 13.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The trouble with some here is that they read into a bit of criticism a desire to see the player dropped.
I don't think anyone 'read' it into your criticism. You did literally drop him from your Bledisloe squad
.Personally, I don't think Marika is up to standard either atm and would rather see someone like Pietsch get a run - better defender, also hugely proficient at kick chasing and a very strong runner/finisher.

This would be my backline, with change only where warranted :

White, Cooper, Pietsch, Foketi, Flook, Nawaqanitawase, Wright. Bench would be, McDermott, Gordon, Kellaway (if fit)/Petaia (if fit)/Perese(?)/Hodge(?).

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I know people are against moving Carter but the greatest rugby Carter of all time (Dan - in case it needs to be said LOL) started his Test career at 12. I think Beauden Barrett might have as well.

Last year I thought the ABs were building the backline towards having the ability to move players into different positions with ease and confidence eg. BB, Mo'unga and even Jordie can play first receiver hen needed, BB can shift to FB or wing at a pinch etc

Whether Carter is the long term 10 or not, I don't think it's a bad idea to have him playing at other backline positions if they think he is up to the challenge.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
In the first couple of years of moving to Australia and while still playing rugby, I attended an end-of-season footy function and I could not get over how almost all of the players - particularly the younger guys - were watching a Raiders game instead of a Wallaby Test match which was on at the same time.

I don't know how true that is for the current crop of Super Rugby and Wallaby players but as a Dad with a 3 kids now playing the game, it is almost a requirement that we watch the games. All Blacks, Wallabies, the women's Tests (I have 2 girls)...I don't get how rugby players aren't watching.
I had the same experience after a Penrith Emu's game.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Kerevi at 12, as qwerty states and nobody comes close. Can we drop this idea of Gordon starting at 12 against the AB's?
I don’t think anyone has once said he should be starting, the point is that he has shown he could play 12 if we ever needed him to (ie as third string option).

HogansHeros

Bob Loudon (25)
inside centre might not be his preferred position but if you’re hell bent on Quade at 10 how about finding a spot for one of the super rugby MVPs of the year.

It’s dumb keeping a player like Gordon on the bench when he’s clearly one of the best athletes and footballers on the team. #my2cents

I don’t think anyone has once said he should be starting, the point is that he has shown he could play 12 if we ever needed him to (ie as third string option).

It certainly has been suggested.

I agree it is great that he has shown versatility off the bench which makes him a much more viable option on the bench if we are going with 6-2. The more runs off the bench he gets at international level at this stage, the better!

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
All the performance has done is indicate that one of Petaia and Kellaway (or someone like Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) if both are preferred in the XV) are fine in the 23 jersey and the need to carry someone who has spent more extensive time at 12 (probably Foketi or Hodge) is alleviated.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I know people are against moving Carter but the greatest rugby Carter of all time (Dan - in case it needs to be said LOL) started his Test career at 12. I think Beauden Barrett might have as well.
Are u comparing a young Rebels 10 with the greatest fly-half who played the game? The only coincide I can see is that both have Carter in their full names

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I thought Carter looked great at 12. Very serviceable, there was some awesome phase play second half where tate was servicing Quade but then Carter we moving into first receiver on the next breakdown… inside centre might not be his preferred position but if you’re hell bent on Quade at 10 how about finding a spot for one of the super rugby MVPs of the year.

It’s dumb keeping a player like Gordon on the bench when he’s clearly one of the best athletes and footballers on the team. #my2cents
He just got in the squad. Let’s not “Noah” him. Give him time and let him concentrate on being on the pine and specifically as a 10. His chances will come. He is a gifted player with a decent amount of grit. Let’s let him develop at his own speed.