• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Swain and Swinton really only have themselves to blame, and it’s on them to get rid of the silly shit from their game.

no doubt Eddie & England targeted Swain during the last England series because they knew he would react.

This.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I find the criticism of McReight from last weekend interesting. He made 19 tackles with no misses, including a couple of dominant tackles. He made 21 metres from 4 runs (ESPN) stats and seemed to play the link role in attack well. He threw one bad pass I remember but otherwise seemed one of our better players. Didn’t get any turnovers but he is still pretty good at slowing down the ball and only conceded 1 penalty whilst doing it.

Im not saying it was a performance for the ages, but he certainly wasn’t bad.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Swain and Swinton really only have themselves to blame, and it’s on them to get rid of the silly shit from their game.

no doubt Eddie & England targeted Swain during the last England series because they knew he would react.

Exactly. There's being 'ard and there's being stupid. Swain and Swinton are in the latter category.

Reactions: dru

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I find the criticism of McReight from last weekend interesting. He made 19 tackles with no misses, including a couple of dominant tackles. He made 21 metres from 4 runs (ESPN) stats and seemed to play the link role in attack well. He threw one bad pass I remember but otherwise seemed one of our better players. Didn’t get any turnovers but he is still pretty good at slowing down the ball and only conceded 1 penalty whilst doing it.

Despite the stats and hard facts, in the eyes of some size queens, he will always be 'too small'

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Kerevi is a great talent and is the 1st preference for 12 , I do think he is underperforming… I’m just disappointed in rugby Australia, bending over backwards, tearing up their own rules all in the name of overseas talent.

If we are not going to win the World Cup with these gitea law players I’d much prefer repaying the faith with next gen super rugby players… give me a loyal Fraser Mcreight any day of the week over a overseas based Sean McMahon.

Who are these Foreign based players keeping out of the squad?

Well I suppose we are using Fraser Mcreight and not Mcmahon. But Kerevi - one of the worlds leading 12's keeping out..Walton?

Arnold and Skelton keeping out Neville? Swain? Quite easy to justify I'd say.

Quade keeping out...Lolesio? JOC (James O'Connor)?

Who get's a spot over Koroibete? Anderson?

Faesller is getting a deserved shot. Bell is young and he's there. As is Hooper, Gleeson & Mcreight. Lonergan, Gordon, Petaia and Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase). How many 'Next gen' do you want!?

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Who are these Foreign based players keeping out of the squad?

Well I suppose we are using Fraser Mcreight and not Mcmahon. But Kerevi - one of the worlds leading 12's keeping out..Walton?

Arnold and Skelton keeping out Neville? Swain? Quite easy to justify I'd say.

Quade keeping out...Lolesio? JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)?

Who get's a spot over Koroibete? Anderson?

Faesller is getting a deserved shot. Bell is young and he's there. As is Hooper, Gleeson & Mcreight. Lonergan, Gordon, Petaia and Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase). How many 'Next gen' do you want!?

The old gen aren’t exactly moving the needle into making us game winners. You won’t know what you got in terms of next gen if you denying them caps at expense of someone who left for overseas

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I sincerely doubt Slipper, Hooper, White, Cooper, Foley, Hodge or Philip will be seriously considered beyond the World Cup. Arnold is likely World Cup and done too. I have more faith in Marika and Kerevi, but outside backs in their 30s playing in Japan will always be tenuous if form slips. Neville's already 34 too.

That's a huge chunk of the 48 (33 + 15 touring with Barbarians & Aus A) that will be in Europe playing and training for RWC, with 8 of those are probably in the final 33.

Regeneration is fine and all, but you'll have 13/14 Tests next year (3 Inbound, 6 RC, 4/5 EOYT) plus Aus A games to bring a whole bunch of minimal cap players up to speed: I don't think abandoning a (however slim you want to portray it) shot at the final given the pool and quarter draws is worth doing so after two games.

Reactions: TSR

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I sincerely doubt Slipper, Hooper, White, Cooper, Foley, Hodge or Philip will be seriously considered beyond the World Cup. Arnold is likely World Cup and done too. I have more faith in Marika and Kerevi, but outside backs in their 30s playing in Japan will always be tenuous if form slips. Neville's already 34 too.

That's a huge chunk of the 48 (33 + 15 touring with Barbarians & Aus A) that will be in Europe playing and training for RWC, with 8 of those are probably in the final 33.

Regeneration is fine and all, but you'll have 13/14 Tests next year (3 Inbound, 6 RC, 4/5 EOYT) plus Aus A games to bring a whole bunch of minimal cap players up to speed: I don't think abandoning a (however slim you want to portray it) shot at the final given the pool and quarter draws is worth doing so after two games.
Two of the players you named just re-signed with RA for two years. Why would of they done that if they were going to seriously consider them

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
The old gen aren’t exactly moving the needle into making us game winners. You won’t know what you got in terms of next gen if you denying them caps at expense of someone who left for overseas

Yeh but WHO is being denied caps - who is better that is being overlooked. I just named like 8 young guys getting caps and debuts and exposure. Not sure who these guys are out there who aren't being given every possible chance to impress the coaches.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

I think the issue for McReight is the percieved tradeoffs people see. If he's not pilfering balls ala Smith, Pocock and Co, then he's looked at through that lens as not being effective.

I'm not sure it should be surprising though as Hooper has been looked at the same way where people are atuned to the big moments and seemingly fail to see all the other work.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I know I'm a Rebels fan but I would have given Wilken a start in one of these games.

He wasn't bad for Aus A, has been a standout for the Rebels all season. He also did pretty well in first Wallabies camp according to Jones.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
The perfect 7 was George Smith. Pocock's selection forced him overseas. Pocock was a very good 7 and better than Hooper any day of the week. He got slower during his last season or two. What disgusted me with Pocock was the rest of the pack standing in the D whilst he got his neck wrung. No self-respecting pack in my day would allow one of their own to take this kind of punishment time and again.
What disgusted me more was World Rugby letting the kneck roll fly during much of his tenure.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Presumably to do that you would need a pack that can compensate for the absence of a more athletic, mobile backrower. With Skelton lining up you'd think this is the opposite of what we need from our backrow.
Modern packs have evolved a lot. The footwork, agility and ball skills of modern forwards is pretty impressive. Think about some of the things players like Bell, Tupou etc. do in comparison to some of the players of yore.

The need to win collisions, the gain line coupled with the reduced ball in play time, changes to bench players etc. has been edging many teams towards a power game over the years. Lots of large powerful packs coupled with fleet and dynamic backs currently dominating.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

Some of those as @Jimmy_Crouch mention still hold clear aspirations for the Lions Series at the very least.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
How many different guys do we give a run to? Wilkins had a good year, but I don’t think he was better than McReight.
He may not be better then McReight, but his a better pilfer and line out option. So might be a better balance for the backrower. When you carry Skelton you need two backrowers who are good line out options.

Ireland, France are playing with 4 options most of the time now.