• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
So Christy Doran named his RWC squad this morning on the roar - he has Vunivalu going to France.

The more I think about it and taking “form” as a deciding factor out of equation and rather use optics.

McLennan & Eddie have a massive hard on for rugby league talent at the moment and leaving Suli back in Oz is bad optics for any NRL players you trying to bring over…

Obviously this will be a controversial decision but probably the right call for what rugby Australia is trying to achieve in the 13-man rugby league landscape
Maybe Suli is the best squad man ever, beautiful vocals and deft on the guitar at the back of the team bus. Always encourages extra training, bakes cupcakes for teammates birthdays.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
So Christy Doran named his RWC squad this morning on the roar - he has Vunivalu going to France.

The more I think about it and taking “form” as a deciding factor out of equation and rather use optics.

McLennan & Eddie have a massive hard on for rugby league talent at the moment and leaving Suli back in Oz is bad optics for any NRL players you trying to bring over…

Obviously this will be a controversial decision but probably the right call for what rugby Australia is trying to achieve in the 13-man rugby league landscape
Korobeite is a great example to the NRL players - Suli would waste a spot

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)

There is absolutely no way a RWC spot is being used for 'optics'

Eddie just genuinely believes Vunivalu is #thatguy. His messaging has been very consistent, including last week where there was praise for how Vunivalu was training.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

What are they trying to achieve?

Suli is simply not test quality. I'd argue he's not even Super quality really (but 'Super' quality has dropped quite a lot in last 6-7 years). I'd have Daugunu or Campbell on the wings at the Reds sooner than him.

Sounds like a marketing decision made by a marketer and not a rugby coach. What could go wrong?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Eddie just genuinely believes Vunivalu is #thatguy. His messaging has been very consistent, including last week where there was praise for how Vunivalu was training.

this - he's a killer trainer (now...apparently)

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

Good on Eddie then for sticking for a guy who was disastrous in his last start.

Eddie's Eyebrows

Allen Oxlade (6)
who's the young inside centre coming through that can threaten Kerevi (who I'd be surprised lasts 2 more years).

Foketi? Only a year younger than Samu, but a very good player.

Vaihu? Paisami? Kuenzle?
I can see Petaia being repurposed into a 12 (a la J Barrett)

I wonder if Mosese Tuipolutu can leave his brother's shadow...

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Tom Lynagh will be our next long term 10. He has his old man’s skill set and rugby brain. It is just a matter of time. Carter will battle him for the jersey but the class is plain for all to see.
The class is in both of them and what a good thing that is?

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Super Rugby form was pretty impressive. Particularly compared to Bowen for Jnr Wallabies where he was underwhelming.
I think we have a whole bunch of ball players coming through, the issue is do we have the coaches who can take advantage of the talent. Please Reg don't say Eddie will do the job!

Eddie's Eyebrows

Allen Oxlade (6)
Here's my attempt at reading the tea-leaves and guessing what Eddie will name as the squad:

LHP: Bell, Slipper, Schoupp
HK: Porecki, Ulese, Faesslar
THP: Tupou, Fa'amausili, Nongorr
Lock: Arnold, Frost, Skelton, Phillip
Backrow: T Hooper, McReight, M Hooper, Holloway, Gleeson, Valetini
Half Back: McDermott, White, Lonergan
Fly Half: Gordon, Cooper
Inside: Kerevi, Foketi
Outside: Ikitau, Perese
Wing: Koroibete, Nawaqanitwase, Vunivalu
Fullback: Kellaway, Petaia

I'd swap out Schoupp for Sio (or Gibbon), Nongorr for Talakai, Vunivalu for Wright, Samu for Gleeson and Holloway for Wilson.

I can see Eddie taking a risk and only taking two halfbacks. In which case Lonergan drops out and Donaldson (sigh) comes in as 'utility'.

Last edited:

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
Here's my attempt at reading the tea-leaves and guessing what Eddie will name as the squad:

LHP: Bell, Slipper, Schoupp
HK: Porecki, Ulese, Faesslar
THP: Tupou, Fa'amausili, Nongorr
Lock: Arnold, Frost, Skelton, Phillip
Backrow: T Hooper, McReight, M Hooper, Holloway, Gleeson
Half Back: McDermott, White, Lonergan
Fly Half: Gordon, Cooper
Inside: Kerevi, Foketi
Outside: Ikitau, Perese
Wing: Koroibete, Nawaqanitwase, Vunivalu
Fullback: Kellaway, Petaia

I'd swap out Schoupp for Sio (or Gibbon), Nongorr for Talakai, Vunivalu for Wright, Samu for Gleeson and Holloway for Wilson.

I can see Eddie taking a risk and only taking two halfbacks. In which case Lonergan drops out and Donaldson (sigh) comes in as 'utility'.
Based on TRC i'd agree with this.

I'm still amazed though that we are considering taking an uncapped Halfback and Prop (and almost an uncapped hooker) to the RWC.

Maybe Eddie doesnt take a third 9, but it seems to silly we didnt give Lonergan some time

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Why are so many squad predictions including Vunivalau he's consistently not reached his potential and underperformed in the ample opportunities he's had. Well down in the pecking order.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Why are so many squad predictions including Vunivalau he's consistently not reached his potential and underperformed in the ample opportunities he's had. Well down in the pecking order.

Because Eddie is staunch on his beliefs, I truely believe Eddie believes he can fix Vunivalu.

Did you see the reporter who said “Carter should have never been selected for the Melbourne test” and Eddie response.