• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Absolutely. Bell could well be the worlds best prop if he continues playing the way he does. The only other backup I can think so is Sio, he would be the ideal inclusion if he’s in solid form.
Gibbon had a solid Super Rugby season, played a lot of minutes for the rebels and has been improving so he’s a good backup but seems to have slipped down on Eddie’s pecking order

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Well that's a pretty basic question, because the answer depends entirely on the state of Michael's calf. If it's right then he's on the plane. And probably starting at 7 with the c beside his name.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I think the original co-captain thing is well and truly over from what Eddie has said. Tate is the most likely captain going forward

I'd prefer taking the route Gatland has with Wales. Pick the young guys in better form and lets build something around the young core of Bell, Frost, T Hooper, McReight, Valetini, McDermott, Gordon, Ititau and Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase)

Digestif Palu

Stan Wickham (3)
These are my main wishes for the squad announcement. Any other inclusions/exclusions I can handle unless completely bizarre

Out - Vunivalu
Out - Pietsch
Out - Donaldson

In - Samu
In - Hodge and/or Wright (both better than the 3 above)
Pietsch has no experience at this level but was arguably better than Nawaqanitawase for the tahs this year. Potentially covers a lot of positions if there are injuries and is very consistent so I don’t mind him being there.

I’m in the minority here but I get the Samu exclusion. He’s great in the open with ball in hand but outside of that no so much. Being a bit reductive but he is really like playing an extra back. Gleeson covers the same positions but brings a lot more aggression in the physical contests. Either way wouldn’t make my head implode.

While I currently wouldn’t want Hodge or Wright In the 23 I agree that are ahead of the other two. Although in terms of team makeup, there seems to be a good amount of back three cover so maybe they aren’t needed? Petaia, Nawaqanitawase and Kellaway cover wing and fullback. At a pinch Cooper and Gordon cover 15. A few centres wouldn’t go astray as currently we have no actual 12 and one 13 with the injuries. Going off the predicted squad from Doran.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Pietsch has no experience at this level but was arguably better than Nawaqanitawase for the tahs this year. Potentially covers a lot of positions if there are injuries and is very consistent so I don’t mind him being there.

I’m in the minority here but I get the Samu exclusion. He’s great in the open with ball in hand but outside of that no so much. Being a bit reductive but he is really like playing an extra back. Gleeson covers the same positions but brings a lot more aggression in the physical contests. Either way wouldn’t make my head implode.

While I currently wouldn’t want Hodge or Wright In the 23 I agree that are ahead of the other two. Although in terms of team makeup, there seems to be a good amount of back three cover so maybe they aren’t needed? Petaia, Nawaqanitawase and Kellaway cover wing and fullback. At a pinch Cooper and Gordon cover 15. A few centres wouldn’t go astray as currently we have no actual 12 and one 13 with the injuries. Going off the predicted squad from Doran.
Yes I am happy with Gleeson but was worried him and Samu might both miss out as Gleeson didn't get any game time either.

I still think you need Hodge. Just gives you the option of playing him at 10 against Portugal assuming we are safely into the QF's by that time.

As for centres I would be happy to see Foketi in the squad but not sure there is enough room for him unless they take 2 half backs

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)

Did I miss it, is Kerevi injured and out?