• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
IF and that's a big if, Hooper isn't selected today and doesn't get drafted in later, he should get the biggest send off possible. Get all the social media teams pumping.

Most tests as captain, youngest and fastest player to reach 100 tests, youngest captain in 53 years, most yellow cards (champion), won the John Eales medal the most amount of times (4), Super Rugby Champion.

Pretty ignominious departure for our best player and captain of the past decade.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yep, that is the bigger blow.

Also further in the article on SMH (which appears to have been updated since I first read it), they're saying Jed Holloway possibly going to miss out too - but they're not reading that as a selection "shock".

Yep, also reported by Doran that Holloway has been cut…

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Not sure if it's been reported but I've heard Kerevi's hand injury is an actual break (not sure if it has been/will be reported that way).

With Ikitau out it heaps a bit more pressure on Kerevi to perform, even though he's been out of touch I think he definitely starts at 12 now.

Assuming he plays through the injury that is.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Not sure if it's been reported but I've heard Kerevi's hand injury is an actual break (not sure if it has been/will be reported that way).

With Ikitau out it heaps a bit more pressure on Kerevi to perform, even though he's been out of touch I think he definitely starts at 12 now.

Thought Kerevi played really nicely on the weekend, two try assists, took defenders with him every time.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ikitau out is a massive blow. As discussed, I'm fine leaving Hooper at home if he's not 100%, but wow I would have thought a half-baked Ikitau was still a viable option for us.

Big pressure on Petaia now, but I think he's up to it.
If there is an injury to one of our backs could we bring Ikitau into the squad or are the 33 players there to cover injuries as well?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)

does this mean Foketi is essential now? I hope so.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Thought Kerevi played really nicely on the weekend, two try assists, took defenders with him every time.

Yeh I'm falling more into the camp that playing in Japan/his injury has simply meant he needs more time to get up to speed. I think he's definitely improved with each game.

Interesting roll on effect now though that a number of guys who've based themselves in Japan fulltime have clearly fallen away in terms of ability. I mean it's not exactly surprising.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
If a player gets injured you can bring someone in, though there's a two day stand down period. Doesn't have to be similar positions either. The injured player who left the squad then cannot come back in at a later time.
Thanks DC, The way our injuries are going we can assume Ikitau will be there at some point.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yep, also reported by Doran that Holloway has been cut…
Not too surprising given he underperformed and then dropped right out of the 23, but I thought he might have skated through with Leota's lack of impact off the bench. Definitely fits into the narrative of favouring youth if the decision was between those two, I don't hate it.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
His attack is back to a pretty good standard but I remain pretty worried about where his defence is at. He got burnt a couple of times looking to set himself early for a tackle and failing to adjust. I get the feeling he doesn't really trust his knee yet and gets in his head in those moments. Hoperfully a month more time on it will help him rebuild his confidence. Thank god it's a hand injury and not a lower body one, I feel like that would've been a massive set back for him.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not too surprising given he underperformed and then dropped right out of the 23, but I thought he might have skated through with Leota's lack of impact off the bench. Definitely fits into the narrative of favouring youth if the decision was between those two, I don't hate it.
I would prefer Holloway over Leota based on lineout work and his better hands. Agree he has not played up to standard and if you don't play each game for your country as if it was your last then you're throwing the dice.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

By my count, we had a 34 man squad for Bledisloe. We've lost Holloway, Ala'alatoa, Quade and Pietsch (Ikitau and Hooper weren't in the group to begin with). With Jorgensen we have 31 men, so missing two more players. Assuming a prop for Ala'alatoa. Who else for the final?​

2023 Wallabies Bledisloe Cup Series squad​

Forwards

Allan Ala'alatoa (29, ACT Brumbies, 66 Tests)

Richie Arnold (33, Stade Toulousain, 2 Tests)

Angus Bell (22, NSW Waratahs, 21 Tests)

Pone Fa’amausili (26, Melbourne Rebels, 4 Tests)

Matt Faessler (24, Queensland Reds, uncapped)

Nick Frost (23, ACT Brumbies, 10 Tests)

Langi Gleeson (21, NSW Waratahs, 3 Tests)

Jed Holloway (30, NSW Waratahs, 11 Tests)

Tom Hooper (22, ACT Brumbies, 1 Test)

Rob Leota (26, Melbourne Rebels, 14 Tests)

Fraser McReight (24, Queensland Reds, 11 Tests)

Matt Philip (29, Melbourne Rebels, 28 Tests)

David Porecki (30, NSW Waratahs, 12 Tests)

Will Skelton (31, La Rochelle, 26 Tests)

Blake Schoupp (23, ACT Brumbies, uncapped)

James Slipper (co-captain) (34, ACT Brumbies, 129 Tests)

Taniela Tupou (27, Queensland Reds, 47 Tests)

Jordan Uelese (26, Melbourne Rebels, 17 Tests)

Rob Valetini (24, ACT Brumbies, 32 Tests) 19

Backs

Quade Cooper (35, Kintetsu Liners, 78 Tests)

Lalakai Foketi (28, NSW Waratahs, 5 Tests)

Carter Gordon (22, Melbourne Rebels, 2 Tests)

Andrew Kellaway (27, Melbourne Rebels, 21 Tests)

Samu Kerevi (29, Urayasu D-Rocks, 43 Tests)

Marika Koroibete (30, Saitama Wild Knights, 53 Tests)

Ryan Lonergan (25, ACT Brumbies, uncapped)

Tate McDermott (24, Queensland Reds, 23 Tests)

Mark Nawaqanitawase (22, NSW Waratahs, 4 Tests)

Izaia Perese (26, NSW Waratahs, 3 Tests)

Jordan Petaia (23, Queensland Reds, 25 Tests)

Suliasi Vunivalu (27, Queensland Reds, 2 Tests)

Nic White (33, ACT Brumbies, 61 Tests)

Utility

Ben Donaldson (23, NSW Waratahs, 2 Tests)

Dylan Pietsch (25, NSW Waratahs, uncapped)

Rehab Group

Michael Hooper (co-captain) (31, NSW Waratahs, 125 Tests)

Not considered for selection due to injury

Len Ikitau

Max Jorgensen

Tom Robertson

Izack Rodda