• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
If Hooper and Cooper have indeed refused to play for Australia A as they think they are too good for it, that may just point to why their “leadership” wasn’t wanted in the squad
So you mentioned before Quade got dropped for dropping the ball once?
yet Quade wasn’t on when the wallabies let the score go from 17 to 3 to behind 20 to 17
He came on when they were behind and got it back to 20 all
Yea Quade wasn’t involved in the scrum that got the penalty against it
I’m a massive gorden fan but he has missed multiple tackles in each game, failed to find touch in both, missed a simple kick at goal and dropped the ball
Mate your double standers are as bad as Eddie
Back up your argument

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
If that’s the case, I wouldn’t want him anywhere near Carter Gordon
I hope for Gorden’s sake he is not the 15th next 10 to get swept aside when things get tough
You watch if it when the wallabies fail he will be the next whipping boy again
Quade came back in 2021 and said it’s just a game after beating the boks himself
Coming back from an acl his experience would be huge
We don’t know what schoupp has to offer - he has played half a dozen games for brumbies off the benxh, faessler would not have played it not for injury, Gleeson wasn’t near the 23 but kept a spot? Kemeny has allready been dropped from the squad
We don’t know if IFL is good enough
We know Donaldson and Suli arnt

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
So you mentioned before Quade got dropped for dropping the ball once?
yet Quade wasn’t on when the wallabies let the score go from 17 to 3 to behind 20 to 17
He came on when they were behind and got it back to 20 all
Yea Quade wasn’t involved in the scrum that got the penalty against it
I’m a massive gorden fan but he has missed multiple tackles in each game, failed to find touch in both, missed a simple kick at goal and dropped the ball
Mate your double standers are as bad as Eddie
Back up your argument
What are we arguing about again?

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Happy to go into bat for Uelese here as some fool on these threads mentioned a day or 2 ago that he’s a sook and needs to toughen up, wasn’t those exact words but indicated so. Can’t remember who it was and there is potentially 10 pages since then.

Anyway just reading that apparently his knee occasionally pops out due to his ACL surgery a few years ago. So unless you’re the worlds toughest man and can stand putting up with your knee popping out give yourself an uppercut for questioning the courage and toughness of a professional rugby player. No issues with people saying he could be a liability because is injury prone but the questioning without knowing the facts of someone’s courage at that level of the game in my eyes is over stepping the mark. Again give yourself an uppercut if that was you

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Look at NZ. They have Mo’unga, Barrett and McKenzie. All 3 starting test 10s for just about any country. All three accomplished goal kickers. Jordy Barrett is also a decent kicker. We have a starting 10 who cannot even get the kicking gig for the Rebels and a reserve half who kicks a long one every now and then.
We do not have a recognised goal kicker in the squad or an established test 10.

Does not make any sense?
Let's not look at NZ, it gives me the shits, they produce 10's like a factory. Agree with your thinking and thought QC (Quade Cooper) would be there for kicking and he would do a decent job. I am expecting us to get out of the pool but that's it - anything else is a bonus or maybe a miracle!

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
What are we arguing about again?
Eddie jones please change your name on the forum
You are just a Quade and hooper hater
Can you point me in the right direction to where our bledislode cup and rugby champs trophies are Eddie said we were going to win?
why our ranking has gone down?
eddie said we will win the World Cup so if we don’t any other result is a complete failure
If you say we will win back it up
Nz, SA, France and Ireland don’t come out with this arrogant statement as they know they might not win
Arrogance and confidence are very different things
Don’t lie to the public, everyone and yourself when you say we will win as there is a chance we won’t

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Does Donaldson really have that much utility value. Thought he would only cover 10 & 15. And personally I think Quade could cover 15 just as well as Donaldson.

Lolesio would probably be a better 15 too.
Hard to say, Quade should be there....Donaldson is not a key part of the puzzle and will be OK as a utility player.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Do you accept that there's such a thing as winner's mindset? A culture of success? A winning culture?

Can a similar thing not potentially exist in the minds of people that have ground away for a decade not to have any meaningful success?

There is evidence that shaking up losing formulas leads to different outcomes, though. You can do this by changing the staff, and they did that earlier this year. You can also do it by changing the player group / team. Sadly, it's as much art as it is science and you need to roll the dice a bunch and see what happens. When it works, you look very clever. When it doesn't, you don't. It's cringey to say but Larkham wasn't playing 10 for the Brumbies before RM put him there at the start of 1998 and people weren't positive about that at the time either. What "evidence" was there that he was going to be a better 10 than Horan or Knox, both of whom suited up in 1997?

Are we though? The expectations are pretty low. We were paying $21 last week in NZ. Frankly if we beat either Wales or Fiji I'd say most peoples' expectations will be fulfilled.
Good post. Eddie has bet his job on this bunch and he can afford that kind of gamble. I don't care too much whether it works or not if I can see a bright future for us. If they can't show us the future then he should be gone.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Eddie jones please change your name on the forum
You are just a Quade and hooper hater
Can you point me in the right direction to where our bledislode cup and rugby champs trophies are Eddie said we were going to win?
why our ranking has gone down?
eddie said we will win the World Cup so if we don’t any other result is a complete failure
If you say we will win back it up
Nz, SA, France and Ireland don’t come out with this arrogant statement as they know they might not win
Arrogance and confidence are very different things
Don’t lie to the public, everyone and yourself when you say we will win as there is a chance we won’t
This is nonsensical, but let me attempt

Eddie only got the job in the first place because we had a winning record of 36% since the 2019 World Cup. To act as if he could just turn the least successful Wallabies ever into winning a Bledisloe in 2 games is just silly

I have no hatred toward Hooper or Cooper, I just feel it’s time to turn over a new leaf and back the young guys. It may not work, but we weren’t winning the World Cup with Quade Cooper anyway so what’s there to lose?

You seem to have some unresolved issues with Eddie Jones

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Which 5/8 should he have developed? It’s worth noting that he got more out of Cooper at 10 than anyone at test level. The rest of them were kids in nappies - only one of whom had any level of super rugby experience to support him being up to test footy. But, ultimately, he wasn’t. And who was the fullback he let down. He gave guys opportunities and they didn’t take it. Why is that all his fault. Who is the person he missed. Koroibete and Kellaway came along leaps and bounds with Rennie.

With regards to half backs 12 months ago people were saying Nic White was world class.

Coaches live and die by their record so Rennie will be remembered as an unsuccessful coach but blaming him for the wilderness of player development that has existed for a decade - something most rugby followers openly acknowledge is crazy.

Edit: sorry Cyclo - just read your post. Will leave it from here. Delete if you wish.
Because Managers are there to make things happen and if their team loses, for whatever reason the head should always be responsible.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
As a lazy, handsome winger I always wondered how hard it was to learn to jump in a lineout. Do you even do anything? Don't you just get launched by your props into the sky?

Anyway my point is, why can't Valetini be more of a lineout option? would be pretty useful.
Most wingers I've known have trouble catching a ball passed on a plate.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The biggest error in the squad is Suli. Donaldson I don’t get. But at least you can say you are looking to the future. If Suli wasn’t picked you could take an extra 10.

Also what’s the go with concussions at the World Cup? Will they allow dispensation to bring someone in from outside the squad to cover concussions?

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
The biggest error in the squad is Suli. Donaldson I don’t get. But at least you can say you are looking to the future. If Suli wasn’t picked you could take an extra 10.

Also what’s the go with concussions at the World Cup? Will they allow dispensation to bring someone in from outside the squad to cover concussions?
Tom Wright is a lot more deserving than Suli, can cover 11, 14 & 15, was in good form for the Brumbies and has played well on the wing in the past for us, yes error prone and I wouldn't start him but definitely better than Suli who could only make 23m in attack last outing

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Let's not look at NZ, it gives me the shits, they produce 10's like a factory. Agree with your thinking and thought QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper) would be there for kicking and he would do a decent job. I am expecting us to get out of the pool but that's it - anything else is a bonus or maybe a miracle!
Let’s look at England. They also have three tried and tested test 10s. I am sure all of the teams in the top two tiers do. There is no point me or anyone else banging on about it.
I suspect that EJs expects to have Cooper, Ikitau and maybe Hooper join the squad at some point between now and the quarters.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Let’s look at England. They also have three tried and tested test 10s. I am sure all of the teams in the top two tiers do. There is no point me or anyone else banging on about it.
I suspect that EJs expects to have Cooper, Ikitau and maybe Hooper join the squad at some point between now and the quarters.
The reason these other teams have depth at 10 is because they developed their young guys through the tough moments. Every single one of them had struggles at test level to begin with, but their coaches stick by them and developed them into class players

Us on the other hand used a young guy like Lolesio as a yo-yo in and out of the squad, taking all his confidence away and then hoping a trio of and old James O’Conner, old Quade Cooper and Old Bernard Foley would save us

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I had an interesting conversation with a guy who has been around rugby for a long time. His view is we must get rid of Nic White immediately and bring in Tate McDermott because White kicks too much and always has done. He also thinks Carter Gordon should replace QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper). The really odd one was Markymark to 13. Also regarding our kicking he said it is OK if used properly but having a back three who are not kickers is a problem with that idea.
He had other interesting things to say regarding player talent ID but this is not the thread to post it.
OK now that the squad is announced and you all had a good laugh at the time - How far out was the guy I spoke to? Markymark to 13..Not bad for someone you all thought was bullshit.
I think it is OK to tell you who it was now - Bob Dwyer...

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
It's fair point about commitments outside rugby but are there really that many?

He has the most French experience out of the whole squad, it'll come useful in terms of the touring. Now his ability to speak French could also work wonders forming a rapport with any French referees thrown our way.
I think him and Richie (more so Richie) are benefitting from being great in France. I think the pitch slowness and knowing them is a big factor in Eddie's thinking. Otherwise can't see why Neville isn't in there for Arnold