• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anecdotal stuff here...

I've got a league loving mate, loves to text me digs about rugby all the time. During the Rennie tenure he didn't text me anything after matches, he never knew the Wallabies matches were even on or even upcoming, he would've loved to sink the boot in but he just never got reminded about them in the media.

Since Eddie's return the amount of times he's texted me something along the lines of "wtf is Eddie doing??", "is Eddie for real?", "Will Skelton captain I see, who is that?", "Fuck we must be 10th in the world now we fucking suck what a joke", "didn't know Quade was still playing, where's Hooper?", "who the fuck is Carter Gordon and why is he our 10??"

It's always negative but at least there's a media presence (any press is good press?)

Look at the Matildas, he'll be the first on the bandwagon if they start winning - maybe.
On cue, I've just been texted by the same mate asking wtf is the Eddie press conference about. He literally didn't even know who Dave Rennie was.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Eddie is circling the wagons without a doubt. He’s playing Bazball with the media. Attacking without context.

He’s loving it.

I agree with this take. He loves the combativeness of it and in many ways it makes it easier for him. The focus is on him plus he deflects having to actually answer questions by arguing that the questions shouldn't be asked.

I don't think most of the media questions about certain players not making the squad and the attack coach resigning as they're about to fly out are at all out of line. The rugby public clearly hasn't moved on from some of the bombshells coming out of the squad announcement which have been furthered by stories of Quade not answering his phone etc. Eddie doesn't get to decide when something is no longer news or he doesn't want to address it anymore.

I want to know why Holloway didn't make it, why didn't Gleeson get a single minute in TRC, why did Schoupp make it over Gibbon etc. These are questions that don't create headlines but a proper rugby journalist would actually ask.

I disagree with this. This is something a guy with a blog who is read by 50 hardcore rugby fans wants to ask and write about. It's not what someone who is actually doing this for a living and needs to write something engaging for a broad audience is going to ask and write about. You're also not going to get a well though out answer with any insight when it's essentially a doorstop presser with the coach.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What BH said…

There’s isn’t a lot of dedicated rugby journalism left in this country - just look at how little the papers owned by the broadcaster publish each week.

And the two most high profile players who the general public are familiar with were axed, with added dramas surrounding one of them.

And most people don’t know who Jed Holloway is and don’t care that he’s not there… particularly newsroom editors.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I don't think most of the media questions about certain players not making the squad and the attack coach resigning as they're about to fly out are at all out of line. The rugby public clearly hasn't moved on from some of the bombshells coming out of the squad announcement which have been furthered by stories of Quade not answering his phone etc. Eddie doesn't get to decide when something is no longer news or he doesn't want to address it anymore
This isn't about Eddie, it's about the players that were actually picked getting zero support from seemingly anyone

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This isn't about Eddie, it's about the players that were actually picked getting zero support from seemingly anyone

SMH has stories up about Max Jorgensen and Ben Donaldson. There's also a profile of Carter Gordon praising Cooper for his mentoring and support.

There's an SMH story about the Darwin camp.

Canberra Times has a story profiling Skelton.

None of these stories require input from Eddie Jones. These are still happening and being published.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
You know what, why not try it?
Some things work the second time around as most have forgotten them but not sure running rugby has it over strong defence at this time. The all blacks who are generally ahead of others in terms of changing the tactics had to change direction to
Manager called the successful members, Eddie called the 20 odd unsuccessful ones.

I loved what Cheiks did with Argentina by getting former Pumas players to call the successful ones.
Maybe he just couldn't speak the language!

Linerunner2023

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think he's entitled to want to talk about the current team and their chances. The fact some players were left out were discussed last week at the announcement - surely those questions should have been asked then.
Well you can guarantee the media will keep asking these questions until they get an answer
And unless the wallabies are winning they will keep getting asked
And get worse if we loose

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
No one is doubting the crucial job which our Australian forwards have. We attack, even from our own quarter. Only time we kick are when it is absolutely necessary near our line and of course at kick off and conversions.
I also encourage kicks to the line after opposition infringements.
Take out the reluctance to kick and you have the All Blacks.

We have undervalued tight forwards for a long time ie the Dunning effect...

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
How dare you. We have way more than 12 losers. We're a big deal.
I count at least 18 in last years GAGR team photo:

yaks.jpg

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
No coming back at you for whinging about the questions he was asked
You have backed him all along and then said he wasn’t the best candidate
0 from 4 says it all
Where are these trophies he promised the wallabies would win
There was a solid core of posters here, me included, who thought Eddie's selection was a mistake. The only change we all seem to have made is to say 'fuck it, let's see how we go' and then when the tournament is over we can look at what happened. I'm not in favour of beating a drum against reality, it never takes you anywhere.