• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Wilson playing Barbarians.

Makes me think he did just want to play club. Apologies to those who suggested it and I doubted.

hmmm just imagine if Bobby v ‘choose’ to play for quins last Saturday with Kemu

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wilson playing Barbarians.

Makes me think he did just want to play club. Apologies to those who suggested it and I doubted.

Old story but apparently he's a pretty handy boot.....

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
So we're 0-5 and going into a RWC in the worst shape I can remember in terms of results (I've seen every one since 1987). The rational person in me says we are absolutely no chance and will do well to get out of our group. That said, we're actually a better side now than we were after Loftus, no?

What do we do about the defence and the goal kicking? They are two of the most crucial areas in a World Cup and we're deficient in both. I don't have any answers there and EJ (Eddie Jones) has really painted us into a corner realistically having only one kicker in the squad.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
The teams they have played have been quality, but they aren't playing like a team that's a sure bet to beat anybody right now, save maybe Portugal.

It's a shame because I think it is a solid collection of players, but their play seems totally disjointed. There's no reason the lineout/maul should be THIS bad with the players they have, but there it is. Same for team defense, attacking shape, discipline. But the reality is what it is and it ain't pretty.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
100% comparable any other opinion is condescending or racist imo

So anyone who thinks that Wilson playing for Brothers is not the equivalent of Valetini turning down his Wallabies RWC starting position to play club rugby must be racist?

you can disagree with his ‘speculated’ decision not to play Aus A, but to start claiming everyone who disagrees with you are racist on that, is a bit much.

Last edited:

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I’d normally agree with you but I just feel with EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) new in the job in a WC year this was a fast way to make sure you are on the shit list.

I was expecting to hear he’s signed overseas.
I would normally agree but given he's been picked for the Barbarians and that is basically an extension of the Australian setup this year it seems unlikely. If he was on the shit list for turning them down I don't think there's anyway he'd get near that Barbarians side.

I think there was probably a conversation had and they were fine with Wilson staying and playing for Brothers knowing he'd be coming to Europe afterwards, rather than him just shooting them down. Arguably playing in a a grand final at that level was a better game for his development than the Aus A one, particularly with all the talk of wanting players who've got some history of winning things.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I would normally agree but given he's been picked for the Barbarians and that is basically an extension of the Australian setup this year it seems unlikely. If he was on the shit list for turning them down I don't think there's anyway he'd get near that Barbarians side.

I think there was probably a conversation had and they were fine with Wilson staying and playing for Brothers knowing he'd be coming to Europe afterwards, rather than him just shooting them down. Arguably playing in a a grand final at that level was a better game for his development than the Aus A one, particularly with all the talk of wanting players who've got some history of winning things.

to be fair - if there was any Wallaby coach to 'get it' (preference to play finals footy with your club over touring France to play Portugal for Aussie A), then I reckon its Eddie.