• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ikitau? Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase)? Valentini?

Have you been paying attention the last 3 years?
I’ll pay you two of them. But you can’t have Mark and Valentini as Valentini debut under Cheika back in 19. Admittedly his development into a test player was overseen by Rennie but then Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) is at the other end

Linerunner2023

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Based on what? Rennie was supposedly a great coach and all his players are the ones people are saying should be there

And we won 36% of our games with them
Well it’s Better then 14% with Eddie
A game plan is the biggest part, then players after that 2nd but it does not matter what players you have. If the teams doesn’t sync they will underperform

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Wasn't Raelene

It's working for Cricket Australia and the AFL. They have gone woke.
[/QUOTE]

They have but CA is running at a loss and the AFL is it’s own world not being played anywhere else in the world.

Linerunner2023

Jimmy Flynn (14)
We have some tops rugby players
Tupou would be the most dominant TH in the world when fit
Skeleton a dominant 2nd rower
Hooper and Kerevi were both in running for IRB player of the year in last 2 years
Hooper was best 7 in the world in 2021
Kerevi best 12 - and would be more dominant now if jones used him like Rennie did
We have some Ferrari in the backline with Kerevi, petaia, marika and Marky N but the back line is not in sync - would be even stronger with Quade at 10 and kellaway 15

jones has f…. Up
1. Pre World Cup games
2. Selections for squad
3. Gameplan - if there is one
4. Starting 15
5. Bench - lack of utility
6. Bench - when they are coming on with little to no impact and wrong options

Last edited:

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Well it’s Better then 14% with Eddie
A game plan is the biggest part, then players after that 2nd but it does not matter what players you have. If the teams doesn’t sync they will underperform
Can we just admit neither have been good instead of fighting over which bad record is worse

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I’ve always said I don’t see Jones going past the Lions 2025 to give a coach 2 years into a WC in 27 but if we go out in the pools is he gone?

Does Waugh have it in him?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I can understand Eddie's desire to inject a bit of youth into the squad. Even if he were to run with what is largely understood to be his favoured 23, what I can't understand is why he wouldn't largely fill the other 10 places on the wider squad with those experienced players that are topic of the last 50 pages or so of this thread. If he can take an injured Max Jorgenson on the trip why couldn't he take a mildly injured Len Ikitau and Michael Hooper. Let the Kemeny's of the world develop in the A/Barbarians team with the other fringe players. Would have been a good way of hedging his bets, they didn't need to know he wasn't planning on selecting them in the 'main' team when he announced the squad. Now he has no option but to run out the same players v Wales.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I can't be bothered scrolling through the last 30 pages. But there are plenty of people who still prefer him over Rennie and can't see through his bs.
A lot, like me, just back the team regardless of who is in it and selecting it. However, the general school of thought is that Rennie should have been kept until after the RWC.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I’ve always said I don’t see Jones going past the Lions 2025 to give a coach 2 years into a WC in 27 but if we go out in the pools is he gone?

Does Waugh have it in him?
I think it comes down to who the alternatives are - none of the Super coaches fit the bill, maybe Kiss in a couple of years time, but right now I can't think of a coach worldwide who might be a genuine candidate.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Actually Valetini got his debut under Cheika in the Samoa test pre-2019 RWC...

Without wanting to go through all of Rennie's issues that led to his downfall, blooding new talent wasn't one of them.
Let’s not waste both our time here, but Rennie had basically selected his team and was building towards this World Cup.
The team had a rational mix of experience and up and comers (I’m sure that Rennie would have selected Carter Gordon as the second/ third string fly-half to be developed behind Quade).
Jones decided to jettison all that experience and that’s the only reason this is now an issue.