• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
All the talk but 75 minute to White shows Rennie's hand... And rightfully so.. White's easily the number 9
Ah no it was about what Gordon did with his five minutes to say he did well with the short time he had on the field. No one disputing white the form 9 and moreso on the Ben Darwin theory of cohesion leaving him on with Noah especially with 14 men even more critical.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Gordon did well and any pundit will tell you that. I think you are right to call it out as not enough on here given credit to the form Gordon showed this year and his minutes on the park supported this.

Tate good but I reckon Gordon offering just that little more composure you want at the clutch, which why I reckon selected Gordon over Tate.
I dunno I think it's all come down to core skills...

I'd have picked Tate over Gordon. Mostly on the chance he can crack a game open better.. But both are close in that spot.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I dunno I think it's all come down to core skills...

I'd have picked Tate over Gordon. Mostly on the chance he can crack a game open better.. But both are close in that spot. Gordon with his 5 minutes should be again on the bench for the next test so Tate may have to wait.
Don’t disagree close but yeh I obviously side with Rennie in his choice for reasons given.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Marce, did you not see Lolo at the back taking high ball in test #1? Won't be any different with Quade or JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor). BUT yeah sure, we have Kellaway locking down 15, Petaia as a possible back up. I don't really want Koroibete there but to be ready to find opportunity in tired traffic on the blind side. So the third in the back three becomes FH - Lolesio probably.

For simply fast backs we have Koroibete, Petaia, Kellaway, Ikitau and even Vunivalu at a pinch.

It is argumentative agreement though - with you on Kurtley. We have not been talking about a 15 in reality but a 23 or perhaps someone on the field dropping back to 15. A bench option for 10/15 is not that unusual.
Lordy, I bloody hope we don't get dire enough to consider Vunivalu for backup 15. he looks lost enough positionally in defence with simple kick cover and slide defence.

Seriously though, Rennie will most likely put Petaia at 15, he's expressed his intent to do that over the last year. So its a question of the 23 jersey. Simple solution Hodge, left field selection Kellaway benched(Wright on the wing) probably likely, wonky selection Beale, wildcard selection Jock Campbell. Fingers Crossed Petaia is iron clad and we don't need to replace him at any stage.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
^^^Hmm. Vunivalu in the back 3 at 14 (from the bench). Kellaway at 15, probably Lolo coming off the bench into 10 making the final part of the 3 (in D). Vunivalu is an obvious push though, more likely Petaia. Prior to the bench getting empty it's Kellaway 15, Petaia 14, Quade 10.

FWIW it's Koroibete still at 11 but I want him pushing through the blind side somewhat closer the rucks rather than tracking back to the 3.

For me anyway.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
On the kicking, in the warm up Kerevi, Ikitau and Kellaway were all putting them over from impressive angles. Obviously not ideal kickers for an entire game but can fill in
Kerevi kicking the ball away makes not sense to me. You have to kick the ball in some moments but at the first half he kicked every time he got the ball. To kick the ball away I prefer pick Hogde at 12 before Kerevi, a monster of 110 kg shouldn't kick too often.

Last edited:
Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Kerevi kicking the ball away is not makes sense for me. You have to kick the ball in some moments but at the first half he kicked every time he got the ball. To kick the ball away I prefer pick Hogde at 12 before Kerevi, a monster of 110 kg shouldn't kick too often.

Agree here but I don't think you want Hodge in any tighter than 13. At a push due to game time injury, fine. But not as a plan.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Agree here but I don't think you want Hodge in any tighter than 13. At a push due to game time injury, fine. But not as a plan.
I don't want a 12 who kicks the ball every time. It's disgusting and you can't beat the Pommies at their gameplan. They have more and better kickers

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
There was a slightly worrying sign during the weekend that we were overutilizing Kerevi and not involving the other backs.

Kerevi was off in the first half (he improved dramatically in the second) but we still seemed very reticent to use Ikitau and others - especially on first phase ball.

Hopefully it was just a result of the Cooper injury but Ikitau and co are talented footballers with the ball- they should be getting it!

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
And I have to give kudos to that. Big hit in earnings, returning home because he wants it. It is very much a good thing. Good luck to him.
This seems to be the common narrative - are we sure this completely true?

Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Kerevi kicking the ball away makes not sense to me. You have to kick the ball in some moments but at the first half he kicked every time he got the ball. To kick the ball away I prefer pick Hogde at 12 before Kerevi, a monster of 110 kg shouldn't kick too often.
What - he also regularly made strong runs taking in defenders to create space and go forward for the team. I don’t think what you state is a very balanced view.

I agree with others (like other players) he was better in second half.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
There was a slightly worrying sign during the weekend that we were overutilizing Kerevi and not involving the other backs.

Kerevi was off in the first half (he improved dramatically in the second) but we still seemed very reticent to use Ikitau and others - especially on first phase ball.

Hopefully it was just a result of the Cooper injury but Ikitau and co are talented footballers with the ball- they should be getting it
I dunno man, we made metres at will every time Kerevi ran at Smith & Farrell (and Arrundell later on). If it ain’t broke….

Last edited:

Marce

John Thornett (49)
What - he also regularly made strong runs taking in defenders to create space and go forward for the team. I don’t think what you state is a very balanced view.

I agree with others (like other players) he was better in second half.
It was a poor first half of the team and Kerevi wasn't the exception

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Lordy, I bloody hope we don't get dire enough to consider Vunivalu for backup 15. he looks lost enough positionally in defence with simple kick cover and slide defence.

Seriously though, Rennie will most likely put Petaia at 15, he's expressed his intent to do that over the last year. So its a question of the 23 jersey. Simple solution Hodge, left field selection Kellaway benched(Wright on the wing) probably likely, wonky selection Beale, wildcard selection Jock Campbell. Fingers Crossed Petaia is iron clad and we don't need to replace him at any stage.
Kellaway will be 15