• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
He needs to plead the Benji Marshall case and accept he’s a good NRL player but rugby is not his game. Strange though, in that he is Fijian and would have grown up on rugby.

To be fair, Vunivalu won’t be the first Storm star who has left the club and their structures and lost his lustre. It’s happened to a lot over the past 10 years.

I mentioned it on another thread but his limited training whilst in Melbourne is pretty well known, probably a red flag when even the player himself admits to having not trained much until arriving in rugby.

His market value in the NRL would have been slightly higher a few months ago, but he will still fetch a good contract with someone like the Dolphins.

ronald edwards

Frank Row (1)
I feel for Harry Wilson…

In my opinion he’s still easily the best backup no 8 if Valetini goes down.

And what direction are we now going at 6 with Leota out?

Until I see Ned Hanigan win a collision against his opposite winger I won’t be convinced he’s a candidate.
could not agree anymore with you mate.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
This might seem like a big step. But with Vunivalu’s RWC future pretty much shot, and considering that’s the reason he extended his contract, I wonder if he might look for a release.

The Redcliffe Dolphins still have packets of cash for players like him and he wouldn’t even have to relocate.
Absolutely absurd that all this $ has gone into Vunivalu when it could've been spent on the proven world class winger RA now can't afford (Koroibete)

Has anyone faced consequences for that decision?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Until I see Ned Hanigan win a collision against his opposite winger I won’t be convinced he’s a candidate.
I feel like people are judging Ned currently too much on 2017-2018.

He's been winning a lot more collisions in his brief Tahs stint this year and the Aus A games. Very solid ball-carrying, can offload and the odd dominant tackle. He's an absolute workhorse too.

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
Oh that's bull crap he had some good games and some average ones.

I get it you don't like the bloke. But his still one of the best wingers in the country and better then Vunivalu.. easily... But hey yeah the coaches pick worse players cos they like to lose. Give me a break..
If you go through some of my earlier posts (though I don't often post) I was a big fan of Writes. I have to admit after his performances I don't think he should be going on the Spring tour either.

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)

He's been winning a lot more collisions in his brief Tahs stint this year and the Aus A games. Very solid ball-carrying, can offload and the odd dominant tackle. He's an absolute workhorse too.
Ned is also a good line out jumper and if they are going to be playing Skelton someone like Ned would be handy for the lineout.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)

Were there tahs and australia a matches that weren't streamed on Stan?

I agree on the workhorse bit, but the way he gets abused on the field is close to NSFW.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Ned was pretty impressive in the wide channels in the second Aus A game, dominated collisions and guaranteed front foot ball. Was bouncing off players in the Tahs win against the Highlanders.

I’ll go out on a limb and think he will start the out of release tests at no.6 or at least be in the 23.

On the Wilson front, there is a chance Leota will play 8 with Kemeny’s return to rebels (when Leota is fit). Will Harris is seriously impressive and if improves like he did this year, Wilson could find himself 4-5th choice no.8. He needs to get considerably more explosive, he’s just not able to dominate in the contact zone enough. Currently he gets a lot of meters because he’s taking twice the amount of runs than anyone else.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Yep I am expecting Hanigan at 6, good chance he might keep samu at 7 and ease Hooper back into it from the bench. Hard to see McReight or Gleeson getting in until at least the Italy game unless there are injuries

I read that Skelton can’t play until the second game and Rennie has said he will start that game.

I hope he gives Campbell and Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) some decent game time this tour

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
I feel for Harry Wilson…

In my opinion he’s still easily the best backup no 8 if Valetini goes down.

And what direction are we now going at 6 with Leota out?
It should be LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6, but he didn't even make the squad. Rennie is slowly losing it.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

I've never been a Hanigan fan but I agree his workrate is top notch and he uses his height to good effect to offload in tackles, but he is not what you'd call dominant in either running the ball or in tackling which I think is apparent in the times he is penalised for being on the wrong side of the ruck. Nevertheless, I think he's done enough to warrant selection in the EOYT but wouldn't be too impressed if he makes a test side on tour.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I've never been a Hanigan fan but I agree his workrate is top notch and he uses his height to good effect to offload in tackles, but he is not what you'd call dominant in either running the ball or in tackling which I think is apparent in the times he is penalised for being on the wrong side of the ruck. Nevertheless, I think he's done enough to warrant selection in the EOYT but wouldn't be too impressed if he makes a test side on tour.
If he cannot play Tests there is not much point picking him unless he is there to carry the oranges at half-time.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Absolutely absurd that all this $ has gone into Vunivalu when it could've been spent on the proven world class winger Rugby Australia now can't afford (Koroibete)

Has anyone faced consequences for that decision?

My understanding is that Koro had family reasons as well as the money. As far as RA's culpability is concerned, what do you suggest for the "guilty" party? A spell in the stocks?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Yep I am expecting Hanigan at 6, good chance he might keep samu at 7 and ease Hooper back into it from the bench. Hard to see McReight or Gleeson getting in until at least the Italy game unless there are injuries

I read that Skelton can’t play until the second game and Rennie has said he will start that game.

I hope he gives Campbell and Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) some decent game time this tour

our 1st & 5th test fall outside the test window so I can imagine La Rochelle not releasing him for either of those games

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I think Donaldson will take leapfrog Lolesio by the end of tour.
Interesting to note that Daugunu's name has not been mentioned
Who would you take him over? Maybe Wright but Wright outperformed him at super. Also I think Wright gets in as he can (in theory) play fullback.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
A bit unsure about Wright. Had a great Super season, but hasn't really stepped up tp test level. You see that at all levels of the game, a guy who excels at one level but can't take the next step. For mine, Wright, Holloway and Wilson all fall into that category.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wright has played some good tests though, starting with his debut against the AB's back in 2020...

This year he was superb against England, and looked to carry on initially against Argentina...

I'm am however surprised they stuck with him from South Africa onwards.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I am a Harry Wilson fan, but at No 6, not No 8. I reckon he is near the best and could be the best No 6 available to the Wallabies but he needs to be playing No 6 at the Reds and anywhere else he gets a chance. His main attributes are strong defence and excellent running/offloading game down the blind side flank. He has not been able to translate his running game into line breaks or gains in heavy traffic as the No 8 spot mostly requires (and that is Rob Valetini's role in this Wallaby side). The best thing Reds fans could do for Harry is to lobby long and hard for him to move to 6 at the Reds.