• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He is winning an playing a real rsa game style they are coached by Former bulls coach Frans Ludeke & are stacked with a few rsa internationals but other than that I dont think anyone can offer you much as in how he is going

That's kind of my point. He seems to be fourth choice at best for most people here behind an uncapped player, a young player who was increasingly on the outer with the last coach and hasn't made the first squad for the season and a veteran who needs to make a return from serious injury.

His inclusion (by video link up at least) suggests to me that he is very much in calculations.

Reactions: dru

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
That's kind of my point. He seems to be fourth choice at best for most people here behind an uncapped player, a young player who was increasingly on the outer with the last coach and hasn't made the first squad for the season and a veteran who needs to make a return from serious injury.

His inclusion (by video link up at least) suggests to me that he is very much in calculations.

My guess (only speculating) if QC (Quade Cooper) doesn't get up he comes in as an international but wont be picked until QC (Quade Cooper) doesn't get up. He might be 2nd choice but you cant have 1 of 3 international just working out in the back ground.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
but you cant have 1 of 3 international just working out in the back ground.

I think this will be increased because Eddie Jones will want it and ultimately he'll get his way.

The logic is reasonable. He won't know at the start of the test season exactly who he needs for the RWC and there will be injuries as there always are. It stuffs his preparation if he can't have players who might be part of his RWC squad as part of his Rugby Championship squad because of an arbitrary rule.

LMU

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well no, you obviously don't understand because that's just blatantly incorrect. As stated by myself and other posters, there is an international window where teams are required by World Rugby to release players for international duty.

Any team that signs Samu Kerevi knows this.

The more you keep doubling down on this to more you're coming off as a tool. Just accept the fact that Kerevi will likely be starting for the Wallabies if he's fit.
Ok Legend, thanks for the lesson. Why then don't some players get released by the clubs, genuine question.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ok Legend, thanks for the lesson. Why then don't some players get released by the clubs, genuine question.

Which players are these?

It's very simple - unless they're retired from international rugby by their own choice, all clubs MUST release a player during the international test windows if they want to play for their country.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

The only reason a player wouldn't get released was if the games fell outside the designated international test window.

I believe some of the games at the end of the Wallabies spring tour may fall outside that window, in which case it would be a discussion between the player and their club around their availability.

LMU

Allen Oxlade (6)
Which players are these?

It's very simple - unless they're retired from international rugby by their own choice, all clubs MUST release a player during the international test windows if they want to play for their country.
Righto well you learn something everyday on GNG, I'll have to hit the archives for names. i remember some scuttlebutt last year around this.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Which players are these?

LMU does have a point, the Japan based players who didn't come on Spring tour. That wasn't because the players didn't want to or Rennie didn't want them. It was economic coercion by their clubs, similar to how Fijian players often 'retire' from international rugby well before they are past it.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
My point was they won't keep them in Japan for the RWC and probably Championship too. If Kerevi made himself unavailable for the RWC there would be massive backlash.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Righto well you learn something everyday on GNG, I'll have to hit the archives for names. i remember some scuttlebutt last year around this.

LMU does have a point, the Japan based players who didn't come on Spring tour. That wasn't because the players didn't want to or Rennie didn't want them. It was economic coercion by their clubs, similar to how Fijian players often 'retire' from international rugby well before they are past it.

Yeah, I was about to make an addition...

Essentially the Japanese clubs signed a number of Australian players on large deals believing they wouldn't be required for test duties due to Australia's policy.

That policy has since changed and some of these guys have played for the Wallabies in the Rugby Championship the past two years...

Obviously the Japanese clubs weren't particularly happy, and as a bit of diplomacy between Rugby Australia, the players and the Japanese clubs (and other financial reasons) it was decided those players wouldn't be selected for the spring tour last year, after players pulled out from the year prior to appease their employers.

But unless Kerevi has another injury, he will be guaranteed to play for the Wallabies this year.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A lot of players, especially the European based, are partly picked up because they can play through the 6 nations period

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
My point was they won't keep them in Japan for the RWC and probably Championship too. If Kerevi made himself unavailable for the RWC there would be massive backlash.

Samu elected not to go on the spring tour 2 years ago, Santory had no choice to release him after that test match v japan but he choose to stay.

Last yr in the 5 test Skelton couldnt play against Scotland or Wales

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Hey showing my youth here but I'm watching one of the Wallabies Classic Matches, against Wales in 2007. Why'd they play Giteau at 9? Was the next cab off the rank after Gregan really that worse than Giteau changing positions. Did Giteau play much at 9?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hey showing my youth here but I'm watching one of the Wallabies Classic Matches, against Wales in 2007. Why'd they play Giteau at 9? Was the next cab off the rank after Gregan really that worse than Giteau changing positions. Did Giteau play much at 9?
I think it was more an experiment ahead of the 2007 RWC to give the side more flexibility in match day and squad selection if he could perform 9 quite well. Cordingley was the back up at the time and nothing special

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

It was a John Connolly experiment that started in 2006 when Gregan sat out the spring tour...

From memory Cordingley was injured a lot, and there were not very many other decent options.

Giteau did ok, but his passing from the base of the ruck wasn't the best.

There were corners of the Sydney press, the Daily Telegraph in particular (back when they used to cover rugby), at the time who had been campaigning against Gregan for a few years and wanted Giteau to take over.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Which players are these?

This obviously doesn't happen for every player. French clubs are notorious for leaning on tier 2 players and threatening to tear up their contract if they play for their country.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Unless you've been watching the Japanese Top League to somewhat compare like for like this seems like you can only be comparing current year Super Rugby form against last year's test form.
BH, according to some later posters he is playing behind a pack with several RSA players and that may be contributing to his success. It's unlikely he will be behind a dominant pack with the Wallabies. Even average 10's can look good behind a powerful pack.