• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I don't have a problem with it the more I think about it. At least one of them is most likely going to start most games. If here is a game a WC v a minnow there is no problem with a new Captain for that match.

Didn't Whittaker Captain the Wallabies v Romania in 2003? Squad could have a Captain and 2 VCs?
I think the issue is that they're both likely to start, and probably leave the field at the same time. Might be worth having a VC in the starting side likely to play the 80 (or at least more of it) to take over.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Apparently first Wallabies camp is next Monday in Sanctuary Cove, with official announcement two weeks later though will be brought forward if Aus super sides bow out early. Then they have a camp in Sydney the following week, then they go to Darwin which should be interesting, where they'll camp in tents and visit Arnhem Land. Pretty cool stuff.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Apparently first Wallabies camp is next Monday in Sanctuary Cove, with official announcement two weeks later though will be brought forward if Aus super sides bow out early. Then they have a camp in Sydney the following week, then they go to Darwin which should be interesting, where they'll camp in tents and visit Arnhem Land. Pretty cool stuff.

I've heard Gregan talk about this trip back in 03, apparently the most amazing part of the country. Would be utterly amazing

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That's the kind of thing that bring a squad together or it could be a Kamp Staalstraad situation or Adelaide Crows debacle. Hopefully it's the former.

The Marketing Pigeon

Allen Oxlade (6)
Think it’s currently understated that our backline is a genuine strength for the first time in years - threats everywhere.
9. White
10. QC (Quade Cooper)
11. Korobiete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase)
15. Wright

Kellaway to potentially slide in either at 14 or 15 depending on form.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Think it’s currently understated that our backline is a genuine strength for the first time in years - threats everywhere.
9. White
10. QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper)
11. Korobiete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase)
15. Wright

I'd have Kellaway in the starting side at #14, he's proven himself at test level

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I get what people are saying about Nawaqanitawase, and yes, Kellaway is a "safer" option with plenty of skill, but with a solid looking backline like that, I think his added upside is worth a gamble - there are some things he does that none of the others do. I would not be concerned with either option.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
9. White
10. QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper)
11. Korobiete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase)
15. Wright

Sub Kellaway for Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) and that's some backline. I wouldn't be mad if Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) plays though.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Nawaqanitawase a year too soon. Kellaway/Wright for 14/15, doesn’t matter who’s at fb.
100% - people are overlooking his inconsistencies and propensity to make mistakes. He’s also not threatening enough to overlook those weaknesses (unlike someone like Folau).

I wouldn’t yet trust Marky in the biggest games against the top teams.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Unfortunately Cooper’s prime in 2011 didn’t carry over the the World Cup. In part due to a game plan that didn’t suit him at all but also because some of the shortcomings of his game were laid bare.

In terms of viewing pleasure, Campo in 91 is possibly the only individual player that comes close to Cooper in Super Rugby 2011 for me - but his WC wasn’t at that level.

Im thrilled that he is getting a second chance though and really hope his fitness and form stays together. In a lot of ways now I think he could be a better international 10 then he was then (gee I’d love him to still have his speed though) and I think Jones will harness his talent a lot better than Deans did.

Actualy Horan in 99 was pretty special too.
TSR, good post. Only question is "I think Jones will harness his talent a lot better than Deans did." Nobody could harness his talent at that time as he was mostly off-piste, and a Homonym also.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
100% - people are overlooking his inconsistencies and propensity to make mistakes. He’s also not threatening enough to overlook those weaknesses (unlike someone like Folau).

I wouldn’t yet trust Marky in the biggest games against the top teams.
Probably right. I think we need to take on a bit of risk to challenge for the RWC. Our business as usual won't cut it at the pointy end.

Maybe our risk is picking a 10, 12 both coming off long injury lay offs.... why throw more in there.