• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Any thought that one of the scrummies is 3rd choice flyhalf? Like the Springboks are doing? IFL or McDermott?

I mentioned a few pages ago that Tate played fullback & flyhalf before he switched to number 9 (pretty sure he's filled in at 10 for the Reds too).

Biggest downside to this is you then have White playing 80 & I prefer Tate running the show.....

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I’d imagine if an outside back went down, Kellaway would shift there and Donaldson would go to 15. IFL played wing at some stage didn’t he?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Donaldson will perform that utility-back role well enough and certainly better than Hodge who I have always liked but has slowed this year.

It was a bit of a shock to read it and Samu is a loss we didn't need to dump but all in all, we were going nowhere with what we had and we all saw how frustrated he was in the 2nd Bled so I think he thought we can't go any worse, I'm going to take whoever we have with bags of talent and see what we can do.

Except Donaldson have never shown at any level he has ‘bags of talent’.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
To be fair, Donaldson was decent vs Wales. That score line had more to do with 2 Yellow cards and a forward pack getting pushed around

I'd prefer Lolesio over him, but the negativity against Donaldson seems to be a bit much. I get it, he didn't have a great Super Season, but which Waratah did?
Jorgensen, Gleeson, Gordon, Foketi, Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase), Walton, Pietch, holloway.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Foketi can play 10? So if gordon goes down injured in the first half we're basically fucked? Seems to me like eddies only option is to include donaldson in the 23 in every game.

I think the idea that we wont need to rely heavily on our back up 10 is fraught with danger particularly given that in recent years we've seen a move to teams subbing in a fresh 10 in ths second half. Hell eddie has done it in every test this year and gordan hasnt played 80 minutes at 10 in any game
It’s a huge gamble.
But then I guess based on our history we need to go the route of high risk, high reward. Because that’s exactly what we need to win is get a high reward. We aren’t going to win playing it safe.
So I actually think he’s just going full guns blazing all chips on a single number 10. I don’t even think he’ll put Donaldson on the bench (at least I hope not), just put Gleeson there instead or some other potential ‘match-winner’. Screw it, got nothing to lose.
It’s not completely illogical.

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
Also I hope nobody is serious about Ikitau being 'dropped'. He's one of the first names down in the squad when fit and will come back in if he can.

Alrighty, with all that said and done here's my team for Wales and Fiji and probably Georgia lol, no rests.

1. Bell
2. Porecki
3. Tupou
4. Frost
5. Skelton
6. Hooper
7. McReight
8. Valetini
9. McDermott
10. Gordon
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Petaia
14. Nawaqanitawase
15. Kellaway
16. Faessler
17. Slipper
18. Fa'amausili
19. Arnold
20. Leota
21. White
22. Foketi
23. Donaldson

Or bring Gleeson onto the bench and go 6/2 with just White and Donaldson. But knowing Petaia's propensity for breaking down I think you need 5/3.

Any thought that one of the scrummies is 3rd choice flyhalf? Like the Springboks are doing? IFL or McDermott?

I like it but would have Gleeson instead of Leota. You already have Arnold covering 4/5 and Leota covers 4/5/6. Gleeson can cover 6/7/8 which Leota isnt going to do.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Except Donaldson have never shown at any level he has ‘bags of talent’.
I did not suggest that they all have 'bags of talent'. Donaldson over Hodge is all I am suggesting is OK with me nothing else.

If Donaldson is not there who else does the utility role, which is important with a set number (subject to injuries) over a fairly long time?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I like it but would have Gleeson instead of Leota. You already have Arnold covering 4/5 and Leota covers 4/5/6. Gleeson can cover 6/7/8 which Leota isnt going to do.
I want to get Gleeson in there but a backrow of Gleeson, McReight, Valetini is lineout weak. Unless you don't take off Hooper but the other two are also 80 minute players.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What do you reckon will be the result BH?

I just don't buy this concept of it being better not having players who have been around a long time because they're used to losing or something. There's zero evidence that players who have been inferior players below test level are going to do better at test level because they haven't been part of previous losing teams.

Opting for youth is fine. I don't think we're close to winning this world cup regardless. Therefore it does make sense to build for the future. We are putting a lot of responsibility on certain players to really lead this team and squad though.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I want to get Gleeson in there but a backrow of Gleeson, McReight, Valetini is lineout weak. Unless you don't take off Hooper but the other two are also 80 minute players.
One of my problems (lineout) with Gleeson in 6 or 8 and don't think he's a 7.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yes. Having Kellaway and Petaia in the backs means we get more versatility in our starters and be able to have someone with less versatility on the bench.
I wonder if Eddie went over all the permutations for backup? If not he's flying blind but he can't be that dumb.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
When Skelton captains his first match this will be the first time the Wallabies have had three first time captains in a single year since 1962.

Edit: this is incorrect. Thanks for the correct Wilson!

Last edited:

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I did not suggest that they all have 'bags of talent'. Donaldson over Hodge is all I am suggesting is OK with me nothing else.

If Donaldson is not there who else does the utility role, which is important with a set number (subject to injuries) over a fairly long time?
Look at NZ. They have Mo’unga, Barrett and McKenzie. All 3 starting test 10s for just about any country. All three accomplished goal kickers. Jordy Barrett is also a decent kicker. We have a starting 10 who cannot even get the kicking gig for the Rebels and a reserve half who kicks a long one every now and then.
We do not have a recognised goal kicker in the squad or an established test 10.

Does not make any sense?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
When Skelton captains his first match this will be the first time the Wallabies have had three first time captains in a single year since 1962.
Won't it only be 2 first time captains for the year? Slipper (2015 vs USA) and Ala'alatoa (2022 vs Italy) have both captained before. It will be 3 in a 12 month period though.

Edit: And 5 different captaincy arrangements (Slipper/Hooper, Slipper, Ala'alatoa, McDermott, Skelton) in 5 tests seems pretty wild, particularily given you'd expect the most variance to come during the games against minor teams at a world cup, which could easily see a 6th captiancy setup this year.