• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Personally, I think Quade is very hard done by. The first game he had only recently come back from injury, he was playing behind a beaten pack, the game plan was new and territory focused, and frankly, Nic White was playing more out of 9.

Second game he had a hand in nearly ALL the points in that game. He was a link player in almost all the tries and kicked 5/5.

Last game he kicks a long range kick under pressure BUT drops a critical ball. If they had scored off that play, they would have won and he’s a hero. But his career is over because he drops one poor pass?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
True.

I thought this year was Ala'alatoa's first time as captain.
Still a very good chance for it though - it's entirely likely that none of Skelton, McDermott or Slipper start against Portugal/Georgia in which case there would have to be a new captain - no one else in the squad has ever done it.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I wonder if Eddie went over all the permutations for backup? If not he's flying blind but he can't be that dumb.
I’d hope so. Considering he’s looking at Kemeny as wing depth I think he’s looking at fringe players that can fill more than one role. As I stated earlier, I have a memory of IFL playing wing for the Brumbies. I could be wrong on that, but might explain his inclusion over Lonergan?

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I just don't buy this concept of it being better not having players who have been around a long time because they're used to losing or something. There's zero evidence that players who have been inferior players below test level are going to do better at test level because they haven't been part of previous losing teams.

Opting for youth is fine. I don't think we're close to winning this world cup regardless. Therefore it does make sense to build for the future. We are putting a lot of responsibility on certain players to really lead this team and squad though.
I know what you’re saying but from the comments I heard from Jones that is very much part of his rationale.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Can someone fill me in on the protocol of replacing players in the World Cup? Is it possible Eddie is going to pull an injury stunt on a few players and bring in hoops, Quade and Len? Giving them a bit more time to get fit?

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Can someone fill me in on the protocol of replacing players in the World Cup? Is it possible Eddie is going to pull an injury stunt on a few players and bring in hoops, Quade and Len? Giving them a bit more time to get fit?
I think if you go back a few pages you'll find that discussion

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I love the squad, fuck the haters.

Jorgensen’s a gun, outplayed Wright this season.

Donaldson is not really taking Cooper’s position, he’s taking Hodge’s. Also think Donaldson would have the best starting record of any aus 10 ;)

Vuni is a head scratcher but watch him break the try record against Portugal. He’s like the 5th winger and 33rd man in the squad, nothing to get upset about.

the rest are lineball calls. Play on.
I was coming here to say the same thing, Vunivalu will score 4 against Portugal and then get picked for the QF, can see it happening

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
7vf4e5.jpg

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Personally, I think Quade is very hard done by. The first game he had only recently come back from injury, he was playing behind a beaten pack, the game plan was new and territory focused, and frankly, Nic White was playing more out of 9.

Second game he had a hand in nearly ALL the points in that game. He was a link player in almost all the tries and kicked 5/5.

Last game he kicks a long range kick under pressure BUT drops a critical ball. If they had scored off that play, they would have won and he’s a hero. But his career is over because he drops one poor pass?
Don't think I saw him packing down in the scrum that got penalised either...

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
And which players are going to play along and possibly miss playing in a world cup?????

Their integrity would be forever in doubt if it comes out they feigned injury.

Note: I beleive that an impartial medical doctor has to vet the injury

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I did not suggest that they all have 'bags of talent'. Donaldson over Hodge is all I am suggesting is OK with me nothing else.

If Donaldson is not there who else does the utility role, which is important with a set number (subject to injuries) over a fairly long time?

Does Donaldson really have that much utility value. Thought he would only cover 10 & 15. And personally I think Quade could cover 15 just as well as Donaldson.

Lolesio would probably be a better 15 too.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Well JOC (James O'Connor) is going with the team as a training member so wouldn’t you put Quade there if that was the case.
It seems JOC (James O'Connor) would be the emergency replacement.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Does Donaldson really have that much utility value. Thought he would only cover 10 & 15. And personally I think Quade could cover 15 just as well as Donaldson.

Lolesio would probably be a better 15 too.
You know Donaldson has quite a few Super caps at 15, the other two have 0. His utility is only 10/15 I don’t think utility role implied any other position

Last edited: