• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Few people that could do a solid job. Leota played a few games of Super Rugby at 7 back in the Wessels years. Hooper been deployed there, etc.
I’m not saying he’d be picked there, just that he’s the guy in the squad who’s played the most there.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Should we start Gleeson next week? Now I am not even talking about him @ 7 this time but he has 20 mins total in gold this year.

Seems like Eddie is only giving him 10 mins a game but is that good prep if Valetini gets injured and he needs to start? Same with Leota at 6.

Who is our backup 7? If any of Hooper, McReight, Valetini get injured we haven't prepared well.
Not off of the evidence of his brief stint against Georgia. 1 carry running too tall into the defence to give away a turnover. At this stage I'd only really be looking to run him against Portugal. I'd be dropping him off the bench to bring a lock in for the Fiji game, possibly including Kemeny as a more defensive minded option if we go 6-2.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think he seemed anonymous to some as he played a different game from his usual - a lot tighter and got through mountains of grunt work at the rucks.
Couple of steals, lead the tackle count for the Wallabies and a good run in heavy traffic to get us to the tryline ahead of Donaldson's second. Beyond that he generally made a mess of the Georgian ruck, but given we had 57% of the possession there's going to be less opportunity there.

Last edited:

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
I’d really prefer it Eddie replaces White with Lonergan, to have a third goal kicker would be good and we need to move on from guys like White IMO

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not off of the evidence of his brief stint against Georgia. 1 carry running too tall into the defence to give away a turnover. At this stage I'd only really be looking to run him against Portugal. I'd be dropping him off the bench to bring a lock in for the Fiji game, possibly including Kemeny as a more defensive minded option if we go 6-2.
5-3 probably best for Fiji, with Frost & Leota on the bench along with IFL, Kellaway and Vunivalau

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
5-3 probably best for Fiji, with Frost & Leota on the bench along with IFL, Kellaway and Vunivalau
I'd have IFL starting with White on the bench, but agree on preferring a 5-3 bench. Not sure about the back subs otherwise though. Definitely Kellaway there, having Foketi with him is probably better coverage but Vunivalu is in much better form. Might come down to where Kerevi is at fitness wise.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'd have IFL starting with White on the bench, but agree on preferring a 5-3 bench. Not sure about the back subs otherwise though. Definitely Kellaway there, having Foketi with him is probably better coverage but Vunivalu is in much better form. Might come down to where Kerevi is at fitness wise.
Yeah could go either way with the 9’s I think they’ll want Kerevi to play the full 80

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Donaldson did his job well and kicked his goals but against the big teams he will have no impact. If Jorgensen is fit they should give him a crack off the bench. Big ask for a young kid but he kicks goals pretty well also.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Donaldson did his job well and kicked his goals but against the big teams he will have no impact. If Jorgensen is fit they should give him a crack off the bench. Big ask for a young kid but he kicks goals pretty well also.
I rather hope we only see Jorgo against Portugal if at all. Coming back from a three month+ injury for your test debut against a tier 1 side is not where it's at.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If he has a team geared towards his strengths he could be and he's playing pretty well so far. I think there are quite a few locks around that I would take over him still though.

Yeah, it's an odd call putting Skelton in the top 10 rugby players, but in terms of general rugby, maybe. It needs to be balanced though - I'd place Etzebeth, Mostert, Whitelock ahead of Skelton in a list of top locks. The lineout really limits how you rate Skelton on the world best locks. He could nail his reputation at this RWC though.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I’d really prefer it Eddie replaces White with Lonergan, to have a third goal kicker would be good and we need to move on from guys like White IMO
IIts not going to happen, someone needs to be injured for it to happen, and White's fine and unless your ditching Tate it's silly to speculate.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If we beat Fiji we are definitely in the quarters. It makes no sense to me we would play anything other than our best team. I’d like to see Frost in for Gleeson and Kellaway in for Vunivalu (even though Suli has been greatly improved I don’t want to see Koroibete have to defend at 13 again). If Slipper is fit he is straight back in and likewise for Fa’amausili (Nonggorr seems to have been much better too - but I think Fa’amausili is still in front of him). Fez didn’t have the best game but his throwing is normally a real strength so I’d be inclined to retain him on the bench. Start IFL, White off the bench.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
My initial thought was I wanted IFL to start but now I am thinking he would be more suited to the bench to lift the tempo against hopefully tiring Fijians. Although Fiji finished much stronger than Wales so fitness doesn't appear an issue!

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
If we beat Fiji we are definitely in the semi’s. It makes no sense to me we would play anything other than our best team. I’d like to see Frost in for Gleeson and Kellaway in for Vunivalu (even though Suli has been greatly improved I don’t want to see Koroibete have to defend at 13 again). If Slipper is fit he is straight back in and likewise for Fa’amausili (Nonggorr seems to have been much better too - but I think Fa’amausili is still in front of him). Fez didn’t have the best game but his throwing is normally a real strength so I’d be inclined to retain him on the bench. Start IFL, White off the bench.
Agree with all those selections and assume you mean Quarter's not Semi's. I think now we would want to finish top and avoid England, whereas pre tournament I wasn't fussed whether we played England or Argies.

Reactions: TSR