• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Guys can we drop the shitting on Donaldson, what a player does in Super Rugby and what they do in Wallabies can be very different. We have had many guys who looked good in Super Rugby but couldn't step up. Let's just applaud the fact that he went well at 15.
Considering the guys who have played 15 over the last 20 years he ain't the worst by a long shot. BTW some of you attacked him correctly for poor D, if you remember Beale at 15 - now there was a turnstile..
I am reserving judgement until I see how he performs when challenged with high balls (which Georgia didn't do), and he demonstrates an ability to counter attack (as distinct from just kicking back) as well as inject himself into the backline as a potent attacking threat. While he was mostly safe (defence aside) in the Georgia game and kicked well, he was well short of an all round high level fullback performance. I fear he will be exposed as such against better sides.

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Lets put this in perspective. We beat Georgia by 20 points. They are ranked 11th in the world and a couple of years ago we would have put 50 on them. Yes they have improved but it was only a win, not a great performance. The platform by our forwards was very good in the first half and we had field position which turned into points.
Lets see how we go against Fiji as it will be a Grand Final for them. Donaldson did his job and that is what he is paid for. Lets see what he offers against top opposition.

Eddie's Eyebrows

Allen Oxlade (6)
Lets put this in perspective. We beat Georgia by 20 points. They are ranked 11th in the world and a couple of years ago we would have put 50 on them. Yes they have improved but it was only a win, not a great performance. The platform by our forwards was very good in the first half and we had field position which turned into points.
Lets see how we go against Fiji as it will be a Grand Final for them. Donaldson did his job and that is what he is paid for. Lets see what he offers against top opposition.
ERRRR a couple of years ago we beat them 27-8.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
You can only play what’s in front of you. The disappointing aspect of the weekends game was that we did not turn a 21-3 scorline into a 40 or 50-6 scoreline. We are going to need to find that edge and to maintain intensity for the full 80. These are the games to practice it.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Georgia beat Wales just last year

It's not 2003 anymore, these teams have some real talent

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
You can only play what’s in front of you. The disappointing aspect of the weekends game was that we did not turn a 21-3 scorline into a 40 or 50-6 scoreline. We are going to need to find that edge and to maintain intensity for the full 80. These are the games to practice it.
Yeah they left quite a few points out there. E.g. the failed mauls at the end of either half. The constant refusal to attack the line even with turnover ball was also kinda stupid. They gotta get better at knowing when to attack or when to play for territory.

griffins

Alfred Walker (16)

And just doing his job might actually be enough if our gameplan remains as it was on the weekend - he's not required to chime into the backline or otherwise be an attacking threat because all we did was bash it up one or two passes max off the ruck.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
I am reserving judgement until I see how he performs when challenged with high balls (which Georgia didn't do), and he demonstrates an ability to counter attack (as distinct from just kicking back) as well as inject himself into the backline as a potent attacking threat. While he was mostly safe (defence aside) in the Georgia game and kicked well, he was well short of an all round high level fullback performance. I fear he will be exposed as such against better sides.
Scores 2 tries but didnt prove to inject himself as an attacking threat? What greater threat is there than someone who scores a try?

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Guys can we drop the shitting on Donaldson, what a player does in Super Rugby and what they do in Wallabies can be very different. We have had many guys who looked good in Super Rugby but couldn't step up. Let's just applaud the fact that he went well at 15.
Considering the guys who have played 15 over the last 20 years he ain't the worst by a long shot. BTW some of you attacked him correctly for poor D, if you remember Beale at 15 - now there was a turnstile..
He had a strong game against Georgia, where he was put under very little pressure- let’s not blow a gasket. He now has back that up again (and again).

Cooper and Foley are not great comparisons, as while they are/were defensively poor, they always stood out with the ball at Super Rugby.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Amazing how many are now on the Donaldson train. Super Rugby threads must be talking about another bloke.

Can’t talk him down for being positionally correct and kicking well. Maybe less pressure of not having to run an attack like the Tahs helped him but I’m going to wait before saying we have our guys as I reckon Jorgenson could have scored all those points as well.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
You can try all you want to belittle his performance but there's a reason why he was MOTM.
I’m not belittling it at all- I’m trying to provide a little bit of perspective- his motm award didn’t come from his attacking flair; it came from a strong rounded performance (basically good kicking in general play and at goal).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Amazing how many are now on the Donaldson train. Super Rugby threads must be talking about another bloke.

Can’t talk him down for being positionally correct and kicking well. Maybe less pressure of not having to run an attack like the Tahs helped him but I’m going to wait before saying we have our guys as I reckon Jorgenson could have scored all those points as well.
Jorgo kicks?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
He did what he needed to and a little more. Let’s see if he can back it up.
If everyone did what we need them to do in each 23 the RWC would be ours.