• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's paywalled and the level of journalism isn't great... but...

The Crimes reporting Tom Wright is "in the frame" for a "shock" Wallabies recall.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)

The Crimes reporting Tom Wright is "in the frame" for a "shock" Wallabies recall.
What the fuck why, we don't need him. It's either Ikitau or one of Cooper/Foley. We have more than enough wingers and full-back covers. We need a player that can confidently kick goals OR bring in our most consistent centre.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
What the fuck why, we don't need him. It's either Ikitau or one of Cooper/Foley. We have more than enough wingers and full-back covers. We need a player that can confidently kick goals OR bring in our most consistent centre.
maybe he played league and is in mediocre form

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Can someone braver than me watch Squidge's analysis of Fiji's win over us and report back if there's anything interesting.

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
For the record I hate the grandparents rule. I’d rather people that moved to an area represent it than people that might never have even visited the country they are representing

It's ultimately going to be most useful for Pacific Island nations because so much of their diaspora is spread elsewhere and I think it is very important that it remains. I never want to see a day in rugby where ethnic Tongans and Samoans etc. are ineligible to play for that country because their grandparents migrated and both their parents were born in Australia/New Zealand etc.

It's also relevant for Scotland and Wales where again, lots of people migrate towards London because there are greater employment opportunities. There's absolutely no way these people consider themselves English over their Scottish and Welsh heritage.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's ultimately going to be most useful for Pacific Island nations because so much of their diaspora is spread elsewhere and I think it is very important that it remains. I never want to see a day in rugby where ethnic Tongans and Samoans etc. are ineligible to play for that country because their grandparents migrated and both their parents were born in Australia/New Zealand etc.

It's also relevant for Scotland and Wales where again, lots of people migrate towards London because there are greater employment opportunities. There's absolutely no way these people consider themselves English over their Scottish and Welsh heritage.
Surely there has to be some limit on ethnic eligibility. They are, after all, national sides not ethnic sides.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)

Will benefit the Wallabies in 15-20 years, when you poach all the Aussie born kids who have now moved back to Ireland and the UK with there parents who were out here avoiding the impact of the GFC.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

"Shock' would definitely be an overstatement if it happens considering most thought he deserved to be dropped from the starting xv after the Argentina game but not thrown completely on the scrap heap. However, as you allude to it could just be a Canberran journalist assuming he is next in line for the reserve fullback spot. I agree with the above though, we don't need another back three player.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
"Jones was set to turn to a like-for-like replacement in Dylan Pietsch but despite the winger being told to pack his bags and cross the English Channel, The Roar has been told the Wallabies boss has changed his mind and will reconsider Jorgensen’s replacement".
If he did that it would be the fucken stupidest decision he has made so far and there have been a lot of them!

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
If he did that it would be the fucken stupidest decision he has made so far and there have been a lot of them!
And Tom Wright although better would still be stupid given he won’t pick kelleway because he is not a goal kicker

Is Eddie making selections just to get a team to play vs Portugal or picking a player that could potentially start in a quarter final and make an impact? Surely it’s the latter

it needs to be a fly half/utility or Ikitau. I even wouldn’t be upset with Hooper if he is fully fit